PDA

View Full Version : Drink From the Strength of the Roots (3.5, PrC, P.E.A.C.H.)

unosarta
2011-01-14, 09:43 AM
Rootdrinker

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs11/i/2006/191/0/f/Druid_with_Plant_Minions_by_thegryph.jpg
[1] (http://thegryph.deviantart.com/art/Druid-with-Plant-Minions-36122109?q=boost:popular+druid+of+the+trees&qo=10)

The Rootdrinkers are a group of druids that gain powers from roots, drinking in the earth. Unlike many druidic cabals, they do not care about animals so much as plants and trees. Although they do provide healing for any who are wounded, they tend to want to treat plants and trees before people and animals.

BECOMING A ROOTDRINKER
How you would normally become a member of this prestige class.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Base Attack Bonus: +7
Skills: Knowledge (Nature) 13 ranks
Spellcasting: able to cast spells from the healing subschool of at least 5th level; able to cast the Entangle spell.

Class Skills
The Rootdrinker's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Knowledge (Nature) (Int), Knowledge (The Planes) (Int), Knowledge (Geography) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), and Survival (Wis).

Skills Points at Each Level: 4 + int

Hit Dice: d8

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spellcastsing

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Regrowth|+1 level of divine spellcasting class

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Grab their Feet|+1 level of divine spellcasting class

3rd|
+1|
+3|
+1|
+3|Ironbark|+1 level of divine spellcasting class

4th|
+2|
+4|
+1|
+4|Engrain|+1 level of divine spellcasting class

5th|
+2|
+4|
+1|
+4|Lifedrink|+1 level of divine spellcasting class

6th|
+3|
+5|
+2|
+5|Roots of Ironbark|+1 level of divine spellcasting class

7th|
+3|
+5|
+2|
+5|Bloom|+1 level of divine spellcasting class

8th|
+4|
+6|
+2|
+6|Sink in the Roots|+1 level of divine spellcasting class

9th|
+4|
+6|
+3|
+6|Tree Maker|+1 level of divine spellcasting class

10th|
+5|
+7|
+3|
+7|Nourish|+1 level of divine spellcasting class[/table]

Fast Healing from different sources that are all from this class stack. Fast healing that heals a target above their hit point total gives them temporary hit points equal to the amount healed. These hit points do not stack.

Weapon Proficiencies: The Rootdrinker gains no proficiency with any weapons or armor.

Spellcasting: At every level, the Rootdrinker gains spells per day (and spells known, if applicable), as if he had gained a level in a divine spellcasting class he belonged to before he became a member of the Rootdrinker prestige class. He gains no other benefits from gaining a level in that class, and gains no class features.

If the Rootdrinker had more than one divine spellcasting class before entering this prestige class, he must choose to which he increases the level, for determining spells per day and spells known if applicable.

Regrowth (Su): The Rootdrinker may sacrifice a spell slot to give an ally within 30 feet fast healing equal to the Rootdrinker’s level for a number of rounds equal to the level of the spell as a standard action.

Grab Their Feet: Starting at second level, the Rootdrinker may add one half of their class level to the DC of their Entangle spell, as well as to the Escape Artist or Strength check necessary to escape from the plants.

Ironbark (Su): Starting at third level, the Rootdrinker may give an ally within 30 feet damage reduction equal to the fast healing they have that was granted by a single ability granted from this class, for 3 rounds, as a standard action. This damage reduction may only be bypassed by weapons that are made of Cold Iron. This effect does not remove the fast healing granted by this class, and its duration may continue even after the fast healing is no longer active.

Engrain: Starting at fourth level, the Rootdrinker may reduce his movement speed to 0 as a full round action in order to gain fast healing equal to one half of his Wisdom modifier. The Rootdrinker may cancel this effect as a free action, but the healing also cancels. Starting at eighth level, he gains fast healing equal to his Wisdom modifier instead.

Lifedrink (Su): Starting at fifth level, the Rootdrinker’s Entangle deals a number of damage every round to any target affected by it equal to the Rootdrinker’s class levels, and heals all allies within 30 feet for half of that damage.

Roots of Ironbark (Su): Starting at sixth level, any opponent who is affected by the Rootdrinker’s Entangle spell also treats all who they attack as if those persons had partial cover.

Bloom (Su): Starting at seventh level, the Rootdrinker’s healing spells grant to the target that they affect fast healing equal to one fourth of the healing, for one round.

Sink in the Roots (Su): Starting at eighth level, every time an opponent deals damage to the Rootdrinker, he may, as an immediate action, afflict that enemy with the Entangle spell (the opponent may still roll for the save), but only affecting the area that that opponent occupies.

Tree Maker (Su): Starting at ninth level, after an Entangle spell fades, or is broken out of or dispelled, a living tree grows on the spot of any one living creature that was affected by it, attacking any hostile targets within 5 feet, using the Rootdrinker’s attack bonus, dealing a number of damage equal to 1d8 plus the Rootdrinker’s Strength modifier. If a creature is in the same spot upon which the tree spawns, it shunts that creature 5 feet in any open direction. The tree has a number of hit points equal to the Rootdrinker’s Wisdom modifier times ten. It uses the Rootdrinker’s ability scores and saves. This ability may affect a number of affected targets equal to the levels in the Rootdrinker class that the caster possesses.

Nourish (Su): Starting at tenth level, as a full round action, the Rootdrinker may remove all fast healing effects granted by the Rootdrinker’s class abilities from this class to a single target, and heal that target for an amount equal to how much healing they would have received if the fast healing had been allowed to continue for its full duration. This only affects non-continuous fast healing granted by this class. This cannot heal for more healing than if the fast healing had continued for 5 rounds or less, if the duration is shorter.

PLAYING A ROOTDRINKER
Rootdrinkers tend to be healers and supporting members of a party, using their spells to reduce damage, or to control targets’ movement.
Combat: Most Rootdrinkers tend to start out using Entangle and other spells to control targets, and then applying their fast healing abilities.
Advancement: Any class that advances casting for the Rootdrinker would be one that is favored, even more progression of the base class that granted the spellcasting. Because Rootdrinkers are so fucused on casting, they also benefit heartily from Metamagic feats and focused prestige classes.
Resources: Because being a Rootdrinker is more individual than many Druidic Cabals, the Rootdrinkers not even having a Cabal to speak of, there are not many resources that are truly available to one as a Rootdrinker.

ROOTDRINKERS IN THE WORLD
”And then! Those roots, they split the very ground, reaching up, up towards my body, squeezing and gripping. It felt as if they were sucking my very life from me, and then he laughed, simply laughed!”

-Jakson Karon, Bard of the Wandering Road.

Rootdrinkers tend to be very isolationist, not trusting those who do not devote themselves to nature, and believing that those who train and live among animals to be savages. They tend to trust only the plants and trees that they protect.
Daily Life: Many Rootdrinkers live in isolation, but for those that adventure, they usually spend some part of their day communing with a select group of plants that they keep with them at all times. Some forsake this practice, but they are viewed as possibly crazy by other Rootdrinkers.
Notables: One of the most famous of the Rootdrinkers was Killian Iriana, who once grew an entire forest from scratch in just under 3 days, after it had been burned down.
Organizations: Many if not all druidic cabals tend to have at least one or two Rootdrinkers, unless they are fully devoted to animalistic tendencies. They tend to want to associate with those more focused on protection and healing of the land, rather than the animals that live upon it.

NPC Reaction
A lot of people do not know about Rootdrinkers. Many simply associate them, like they do many other druidic orders, with just plain old druids. Many druids tend to not know about them, even, and this can cause some issues when Rootdrinkers have conversations with druids.

ROOTDRINKERS IN THE GAME
Rootdrinkers tend to be on the lower side of the crasy insane powerhouse that is Druid-dom. They are a mostly casting class, and do not progress three of the “legs” of druid power, Wildshaping and their Animal Companion. Because they focus on healing, they might not be the best in combat, especially when they have already cast Entangle.
Adaptation: Adapting the Rootdrinker class would only require that druids or those able to cast Entangle exist within the context of the setting.

zagan
2011-01-15, 08:40 AM
Finally found the time to PEACH your new Prc, here goes:

The image is perfect but streching the screen you might want to resize it.

Fluff: Very short but I always liked plant themed druid, we'll see how it goes.

Prereq: Seem fine, if a little light.

skill, hd, bab, saves: no problem

Spellcasting: Full, okay.

Regrowth: Not bad.

Grab Their Feet: Pretty big boost to DC but it's only for one spell so acceptable.

Ironbark: I need to reread this one multiple time to understand it, the wording could be better. Perhaps: "As a standard action you can target an ally within 30 feet of you currently under the effect of one of your ability that grant fast healing. This ally gain Damage reduction equal to the amount of fast healing gained this way bypass only by cold iron weapon. This effect last 3 rounds even if the fast healing end before that."
Hum, not sure it's better.

Engrain: At will out of combat healing is always nice.

Lifedrink: Okay, hum the damage is untyped I assume, when did it occur at the start of the creature turn ? At the beginning of each round before any creature can act ? At the end ?
Same question for the healing. Also I find it weird that it effect any ally within 30 ft of the area, seem weird to me.

Roots of Ironbark: Original.

Bloom: Okay, weird way to do it but why not.

Sink in the Roots: Not bad, it doesn't consume a spell slot I presume ?

Tree Maker: Very original, the tree are permanent if not destroyed or temporary ? If so do they become inert afterward ?

Nourish: Not bad and original.

Conclusions: While the idea is nice, the result is a little bland. I was expecting more, like the ability to shape the area of your entangle spell, the ability entangle flying creature with reaching vine, entangle that ignore ally, the ability to spontaneously exchange a prepared spell for an entangle spell. As it stand the class is more focused on healing than on plant. I don't know I was expecting better work from you. The class isn't bad just too bland for my taste, sorry.

unosarta
2011-01-15, 09:23 AM
Finally found the time to PEACH your new Prc, here goes:
Thanks!

The image is perfect but streching the screen you might want to resize it.
It isn't stretching my screen, but I will spoiler it.

Ironbark: I need to reread this one multiple time to understand it, the wording could be better. Perhaps: "As a standard action you can target an ally within 30 feet of you currently under the effect of one of your ability that grant fast healing. This ally gain Damage reduction equal to the amount of fast healing gained this way bypass only by cold iron weapon. This effect last 3 rounds even if the fast healing end before that."
Hum, not sure it's better.
That should work.

Lifedrink: Okay, hum the damage is untyped I assume, when did it occur at the start of the creature turn ? At the beginning of each round before any creature can act ? At the end ?
Same question for the healing. Also I find it weird that it effect any ally within 30 ft of the area, seem weird to me.
Yes, untyped. Start of each round before any creature can act. Maybe I should cap it? 1/2 Rootdrinker level allies would work.

Sink in the Roots: Not bad, it doesn't consume a spell slot I presume ?
No consuming of spell slot.

Tree Maker: Very original, the tree are permanent if not destroyed or temporary ? If so do they become inert afterward ?
They fade at the end of the encounter, and sink back into the ground.

Conclusions: While the idea is nice, the result is a little bland. I was expecting more, like the ability to shape the area of your entangle spell, the ability entangle flying creature with reaching vine, entangle that ignore ally, the ability to spontaneously exchange a prepared spell for an entangle spell. As it stand the class is more focused on healing than on plant. I don't know I was expecting better work from you. The class isn't bad just too bland for my taste, sorry.
This class was focused on healing. Its theme, of taking the strength of the roots, fits with that as well, by converting that strength into healing for the Rootdrinker's allies. As far as healers go, this one is unprecedented, since no healers as of yet really focus on fast healing. This class does. As far as the entangle spell goes, it was part of a lesser theme. A healing class cannot truly function on its own. More often than not, people just do not find it interesting enough. Thus, its effects must be combined with other roles. In this case, this class is a hybrid of healer and battlefield control. I could have focused entirely on battlefield control, but that would have been a different class.

zagan
2011-01-15, 09:48 AM
Yes, untyped. Start of each round before any creature can act. Maybe I should cap it? 1/2 Rootdrinker level allies would work.

No, max 10 damage per round at level 20 and only if the creature is in the entangle area is fine.

This class was focused on healing. Its theme, of taking the strength of the roots, fits with that as well, by converting that strength into healing for the Rootdrinker's allies. As far as healers go, this one is unprecedented, since no healers as of yet really focus on fast healing. This class does. As far as the entangle spell goes, it was part of a lesser theme. A healing class cannot truly function on its own. More often than not, people just do not find it interesting enough. Thus, its effects must be combined with other roles. In this case, this class is a hybrid of healer and battlefield control. I could have focused entirely on battlefield control, but that would have been a different class.

Ah, okay that's clearer then.

unosarta
2011-01-15, 10:08 AM
No, max 10 damage per round at level 20 and only if the creature is in the entangle area is fine.
OK, good.

Ah, okay that's clearer then.

OK. Honestly, I feel that healers just do not get enough support playstyle wise, or material wise. A class that focuses on entangle solely wouldn't be very good, to be honest. Battlefield control needs to be able to target three saves, or, even better, target no saves at all. Entangle allows for reflex saves, which are, besides fortitude, the highest save, usually. Second, it allows for a Strength or Dexterity check, which is another big weakness.

zagan
2011-01-16, 06:08 AM
I got an idea yesterday and it would fit your class perfectly, so I'll post it here in case you want to use it.

The idea is an ability that make the fast healing you grant continue healing above the maximum hit point of the creature by giving temporary hit point. I let you decid if you want it to stack or not, probably not.
For example you have an ally that got 50hp on a max of 80hp and you give him fast healing 7 for 8 round. Assuming he doesn't take further damage it goes like this:
Round 1: 57/80hp, Round 2: 64/80hp, Round 3: 71/80hp, Round 4: 78/80hp, Round 5: 80/80hp +5 temp hp.
After that it depend if you allow stacking or not, if not it goes like that:
Round 6: 80/80hp +7 temp hp, Round 7: 80/80hp +7 temp hp, Round 8: 80/80hp +7 temp hp.
And at this point the temp hp either dissipate or last a predetermined amount of time.
If you allow stacking it goes like this instead:
Round 6: 80/80hp +12 temp hp, Round 7: 80/80hp +19 temp hp, Round 8: 80/80hp +26 temp.
And it stop there. If you choose stacking you need a maximum I think, 5*creature con mod ?

Anyway this idea wouldn't leave me so I had to write it down I hope you can use it.

unosarta
2011-01-16, 08:46 AM
I got an idea yesterday and it would fit your class perfectly, so I'll post it here in case you want to use it.

The idea is an ability that make the fast healing you grant continue healing above the maximum hit point of the creature by giving temporary hit point. I let you decid if you want it to stack or not, probably not.
For example you have an ally that got 50hp on a max of 80hp and you give him fast healing 7 for 8 round. Assuming he doesn't take further damage it goes like this:
Round 1: 57/80hp, Round 2: 64/80hp, Round 3: 71/80hp, Round 4: 78/80hp, Round 5: 80/80hp +5 temp hp.
After that it depend if you allow stacking or not, if not it goes like that:
Round 6: 80/80hp +7 temp hp, Round 7: 80/80hp +7 temp hp, Round 8: 80/80hp +7 temp hp.
And at this point the temp hp either dissipate or last a predetermined amount of time.
If you allow stacking it goes like this instead:
Round 6: 80/80hp +12 temp hp, Round 7: 80/80hp +19 temp hp, Round 8: 80/80hp +26 temp.
And it stop there. If you choose stacking you need a maximum I think, 5*creature con mod ?

Anyway this idea wouldn't leave me so I had to write it down I hope you can use it.
Ooo, that is very good. I like it. Now for implementation, it seems like it would be an inherent part of the class, and not an ability I would include on the table, so I could put it in the foreword where I say that the fast healing stacks with itself. Good ability!