PDA

View Full Version : bard feats 3.5

Aurenthal
2011-01-14, 11:15 AM
I´m starting a bard in a campaign, and need 1 more feat, what would you recommend me to choose? I already have weapon finesse, and improved initiative... By the way it´s a lvl 9 bard elf, my stats are with all the modifiers from equipment and stuff:

Str:14
Con:14
Dex:20
Int:14
Wis:12
Cha:22

Please help me
And yes I know the stats are very high... The DM gave us very good start stats

Deadmeat.GW
2011-01-14, 11:17 AM
I´m starting a bard in a campaign, and need 1 more feat, what would you recommend me to choose? I already have weapon finesse, and improved initiative... By the way it´s a lvl 9 bard elf, my stats are with all the modifiers from equipment and stuff:

Please help me

Well, if you can change the stats perhaps 14 wis might be better :)?

There are more wis based skills so for a semi-skill monkey that might work our better.

Greenish
2011-01-14, 11:20 AM
What aspect are you going to focus on (skills, songs, magic, melee)?

[Edit]: Melee, it seems. Snowflake Wardance is pretty decent. Lingering Song helps to keep IC up for longer. Might want to go bardblade with those stats.

Gwillednt
2011-01-14, 11:20 AM

Please help me

...3.5? Pathfinder? I guess not 4th since you have weapon finese.

Greenish
2011-01-14, 11:23 AM
...3.5? Pathfinder? I guess not 4th since you have weapon finese.Judging by the title of the thread… :smallamused:

Aurenthal
2011-01-14, 11:26 AM
What aspect are you going to focus on (skills, songs, magic, melee)?

[Edit]: Melee, it seems. Snowflake Wardance is pretty decent. Lingering Song helps to keep IC up for longer. Might want to go bardblade with those stats.

Sorry, I need that you give me the name of the book, it is in. Because I really don´t know

Greenish
2011-01-14, 11:29 AM
Sorry, I need that you give me the name of the book, it is in. Because I really don´t knowSnowflake Wardance is from Frostburn, Lingering Song from Comp. Adventurer.

"Bardblade" is a nickname for bard/warblade (ToB) multiclass.

Gwillednt
2011-01-14, 11:29 AM

Please help me

Yikes, you could do almost anything with those stats, really. I hear that Dance mentioned above is really good, but I haven't checked it out.
Lingering song is an okay feat if you're gonna be doing something that makes you stop singing the next round, like casting a spell. With that cha, you may be doing just that quite often. Two weapon fighting is a trap, don't take it with bard.
On an elf bard I'd almost always say improved toughness, but with that con might not even need that. I doubt it's allowed, but if you can get that words of creation feat it's stupidly powerful. I think it DOUBLES your inspire courage bonus...

ericgrau
2011-01-14, 11:33 AM

Please help me

I might not get 2 melee feats when bards aren't that good in melee. They're good at spells thanks to full caster level and some low level spells remaining useful. Also magic item crafting for the same reason. They're good at skills, making int important. If you use a whip they're ok at disarming and good at tripping. That's the only reason I might focus weapon finesse+dex or str. Even then disarming is limited to items, ranged weapons and anything a caster is holding as these are easiest to disarm. It's also so-so for scouting, tumbling and AC. Con is important for every class. Try to limit buffs, including bardic music, to a buffing round before combat if you get one.

So... higher int and con. You can keep a decent dex but I'd make it a lower priority. Probably switch to caster feats unless you plan on pulling some tricks with a whip, the party rogue needs a tumbling flanker or similar. Don't expect much melee damage. If you really run out of options and must fight you might as well use a bow and save the feat. Improved initiative might be so-so later on if you don't have other options left.

MikelaC1
2011-01-14, 11:37 AM
Song of the Heart (Eberron feat) gives you a +1 to any bardic Inspire ability. Dont forget to take Inspirational Boost as one of your first level spells (Spell Compendium), its a swift action cast and gives another +1 to Inspire.

Vladislav
2011-01-14, 11:38 AM
Lyric spell (http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Lyric_Spell). As a level 9+ bard, you get plenty of uses of your bardic music (When was the last time you needed 9 music uses in a day?), but very few higher-level spells per day (even with Cha 22, by the time next level rolls along, you only get one 4th level spell per day).

Being able to convert the former into the latter is priceless.

Keld Denar
2011-01-14, 11:39 AM
Yikes, you could do almost anything with those stats, really. I hear that Dance mentioned above is really good, but I haven't checked it out.
Lingering song is an okay feat if you're gonna be doing something that makes you stop singing the next round, like casting a spell. With that cha, you may be doing just that quite often. Two weapon fighting is a trap, don't take it with bard.
On an elf bard I'd almost always say improved toughness, but with that con might not even need that. I doubt it's allowed, but if you can get that words of creation feat it's stupidly powerful. I think it DOUBLES your inspire courage bonus...

Lingering Song is in MOST cases inferior to Melodic Casting (CMage). The number one reason to stop singing is to cast a spell or UMD an item. Melodic Casting covers those. The other reason to stop singing is because you get silenced or disabled, which Melodic Casting doesn't help, but hopefully if you do get disabled, the 5 rounds your song will already last is long enough. Lingering Song can also be bought as an item. The Harmonizing weapon property in the MIC functions identically to Lingering Song if you REALLY want it.

TWFing isn't BAD for a bard. Its not great, but bards do come with the built in source of bonus damage that is the main prerequisite for TWFing well.

Words of Creation is strong, but its also stupid. Like, its so strong that you're DM will probably do something about it. It also imposes an RP restriction on you, given that its an [Exalted] feat. If you ever act in any way un-Exalted, you lose the feat until you can Atone. A better feat is Songs of the Heart, from the ECS. It gives a +1 bonus on all songs. Much more balanced against the power of a feat without being rediculus or imposing RP restrictions.

Draz74
2011-01-14, 11:43 AM
Yeah, seems like you're mostly familiar with Core, but most all of the good Bard feats are in random splatbooks. Is that a problem if we suggest them?

If not, here are some of my favorites:

Song of the Heart - (Eberron Campaign Setting)
Melodic Casting - (Complete Mage)
Versatile Performer - (Complete Adventurer)
Martial Stance (Leading the Charge) - (Tome of Battle)
Metamagic Song - (Complete Mage) - combo with Chain Spell - (Complete Arcane), Sculpt Spell - (Complete Arcane), and other Bard-appropriate metamagics
Captivating Melody - (Complete Mage)

Dragonfire Inspiration and Words of Creation are amazing, but too powerful IMHO.

I agree that Lingering Song and Weapon Finesse aren't the best choices. Note that you can get a Weapon Finesse effect just by picking up a Feycraft Short Sword (Feycraft is in the DMG 2).

Gwillednt
2011-01-14, 11:45 AM
Lingering Song is in MOST cases inferior to Melodic Casting (CMage). The number one reason to stop singing is to cast a spell or UMD an item. Melodic Casting covers those. The other reason to stop singing is because you get silenced or disabled, which Melodic Casting doesn't help, but hopefully if you do get disabled, the 5 rounds your song will already last is long enough. Lingering Song can also be bought as an item. The Harmonizing weapon property in the MIC functions identically to Lingering Song if you REALLY want it.

TWFing isn't BAD for a bard. Its not great, but bards do come with the built in source of bonus damage that is the main prerequisite for TWFing well.

Words of Creation is strong, but its also stupid. Like, its so strong that you're DM will probably do something about it. It also imposes an RP restriction on you, given that its an [Exalted] feat. If you ever act in any way un-Exalted, you lose the feat until you can Atone. A better feat is Songs of the Heart, from the ECS. It gives a +1 bonus on all songs. Much more balanced against the power of a feat without being rediculus or imposing RP restrictions.

Here's a question. Since you apply feats in the most favorable way, if you had Words of Creation and Song of the Heart.... would you add 1 THEN double it all?

Edit : And geez, I DID say the DM would probably not allow it ;P

Kansaschaser
2011-01-14, 11:46 AM
Song of the Heart (Eberron feat) gives you a +1 to any bardic Inspire ability. Dont forget to take Inspirational Boost as one of your first level spells (Spell Compendium), its a swift action cast and gives another +1 to Inspire.

Feats
There is also Words of Creation from the Book of Exalted Deeds and Focused Performer and Focused Performance from Dragon Magazine 338.

Magic Items
Badge of Valor from the Magic Item Compendium.
Vest of Legends from the Dungeon Masters Guide 2.
Slippers of Battledancing from the Dungeon Masters Guid 2 (since you have a high charisma).

Mundane Items
Look through the instruments in the Complete Adventurer. Each one has a different effect if you use a masterwork version of the item.

Here's a question. Since you apply feats in the most favorable way, if you had Words of Creation and Song of the Heart.... would you add 1 THEN double it all?

Edit : And geez, I DID say the DM would probably not allow it ;P

According to 3.5, when you double something, you double all numeric effects. So when you crit with a weapon, you double everything. Therefore, if you double your inspiration, you double all the effects too. But remember, when you double something twice, you only do x3. If you double something three times, you do x4.

Crow
2011-01-14, 11:54 AM
I hear Snowflake Wardance is a good bard feat...

Aurenthal
2011-01-14, 12:03 PM
Thank you all, I already decided what feat i´m choosing: lingering song. :smallbiggrin: