PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Dragon class advancing - need help

Fearan
2011-01-14, 11:31 AM
Greetings, Playground. I am looking for your advice on the following matter. For some time I was playing rather typical Bahamut-worshipping bard/paladin. HHad to dump wis because of not so good stat roll, so no paladin spellcasting - just took an ACF from ComChamp. Well this character eventually found himself dead. The resurrection went totally wrong (the right kind of wrong, though), and instead of being resurrected, he was reconstructed into 10 hd very young silver dragon. The DM dropped LA, so I continue to gain exp as a 10 level character. Now there is 400 exp between me and my 11th level, but I can't choose, what class I should take. My stats are 15 10 15 16 10 18, and I've got these feats:
Multiattack, Protection Devotion, Ability focus(breath), Heigten breath.
So please recomend me a class to advance

Gwillednt
2011-01-14, 11:35 AM
Greetings, Playground. I am looking for your advice on the following matter. For some time I was playing rather typical Bahamut-worshipping bard/paladin. HHad to dump wis because of not so good stat roll, so no paladin spellcasting - just took an ACF from ComChamp. Well this character eventually found himself dead. The ressurection went totally wrong (the right kind of wrong, though), and instead of being ressurected, he was reconstructed into 10 hd very young silver dragon. The DM dropped LA, so I continue to gain exp as a 10 level character. Now there is 400 exp between me and my 11th level, but I can't choose, what class I should take. My stats are 15 10 15 16 10 18, and I've got these feats:
Multiattack, Protection Devotion, Ability focus(breath), Heigten breath.
So please reccomend me a class to advance

See if you can take virtual age category hit dice and break the game. (See draconomicon)

Fearan
2011-01-14, 11:37 AM
Nah, age advancement only trough actual time - and I don't really want to break the game

tyckspoon
2011-01-14, 01:18 PM
For a dragon, I would suggest either focusing on your natural attacks or getting some kind of magic. So.. Totemist, Sorcerer (because it'll combine with your innate casting if you ever manage to age up to Young), or some variety of psychic; Ardent with the more martially-focused mantles could be a good idea, especially with how Ardent interacts with Practiced Manifester. Conflict and Freedom have pretty good low-level powers and somewhat useful mantle abilities. Psychic Warrior is always a decent standby for natural-weapons shenanigannery, but you'll need like 5 levels in it before you get a decent number of powers and power points.

Totemist can give you even more natural attacks and has a number of melds that generically improve all your natural attacks; a couple of levels will do interesting things for you. Hmm.. or.. do both! Ditch the breath-focused feats, if possible, because your breath weapon is sadly just going to fall further and further behind the curve in damage and DC, even with Heighten. Trade them for Shape Soulmeld (Sphinx Claws) and Open Least Chakra (Hand.) You can now pounce with your natural weapons. Although you might find some other thing you prefer to do, since if you do go psionic you can get Swift movements and Pounce pretty easily, so full attacking won't be much of a problem. Still, there is almost certainly some neat thing you can cherry pick with Shape Soulmeld/Open Chakra.

true_shinken
2011-01-14, 01:25 PM
Abjurant Champion. Just Abjurant Champion.

Greenish
2011-01-14, 02:41 PM
Abjurant Champion. Just Abjurant Champion.Hmm, if he could make himself a loredrake…

Otherwise, a sorcerer dip (or even wizard, since you've got decent int) and abjurant champion would be decent gishy gish. With wizard, you could select from the lovely Sanctified (BoED) spells.

Fearan
2011-01-14, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the answers
Abjurant cheater is cool but as a plain and simple dragon I don't have martial weapon proficiency (wich led to in-game jokes like "you still know how to use your mandoline, but forgot how to use a sword. Clearly, Bahamut wants you to be a bard"). But this gave me an idea of duskblade2(3 if it is possible to channel spells via natural weapon)/sor1/AC X advancing sorc for stacking with age casting.
Also Sanctified spells are very fluffy and thematic here, but are they really decent?

Greenish
2011-01-14, 03:01 PM
Also Sanctified spells are very fluffy and thematic here, but are they really decent?Many of them are pretty great. Say, Luminous Armour and the greater version.

Fearan
2011-01-14, 03:05 PM
I admit, Luminous armor is really good, though I need some prepared casting to get it. Smells rather Archivyst-y to me

Greenish
2011-01-14, 03:09 PM
I admit, Luminous armor is really good, though I need some prepared casting to get it. Smells rather Archivyst-y to meDepending on DM, Arcane Preparation might work for a sorc. Luminous Armour is also Abjuration, so combining it with Abjurant Champion…

true_shinken
2011-01-14, 03:37 PM
Options:
Battle Wizard. Trade your Scribe Scroll for a Fighter bonus feat, get EWP and ask your DM if it counts for Abjurant Champion.
Battle Sorcerer. First level spells (grab those from Dragons of Eberron, like Strenght of True Form) anda Martial Weapon Proficiency.
Stalwart Sorcerer. Get that Martial Weapon.
Warshaper. You qualify due to alternate form.

Also, alternate form is awesome. Become a legendary monkey (Str 30) and wield a spear. Become a dark one and gain sneak attack. Seriously, this is the best part of being a silver dragon.

Godskook
2011-01-14, 04:10 PM
Let's see.....

You can convert your racial casting into any divine casting via Sacred Warder of Bahamut. While your wisdom score isn't great, that doesn't matter for Archivist nearly as much as it would for cleric/druid. What's more, this sets a precedent for homebrewing like-minded prestige classes that do the same thing for other classes, such as a meldshaper, manifester, soul-binder, or wizard. Not immediately useful, but handy to keep in mind if you want to go divine and then age(or for anything really, if your DM is ok with a small amount of homebrew).

true_shinken
2011-01-14, 06:01 PM
You can convert your racial casting into any divine casting via Sacred Warder of Bahamut.
I made the same mistake. As a very young silver dragon, he has no casting ability.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-01-14, 06:04 PM
I made the same mistake. As a very young silver dragon, he has no casting ability.

Loredrake would give Sorc 2 casting to it right? I don't remember the exact wording but I think it read: "you can cast spells as if you are a sorcerer 2 level higher than the norm" therefore you could cast as a Sorcerer 2, right?

Godskook
2011-01-14, 06:34 PM

You can convert your racial casting into any divine casting via Sacred Warder of Bahamut........Not immediately useful, but handy to keep in mind if you want to go divine and then age(or for anything really, if your DM is ok with a small amount of homebrew).

I covered that.