PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Improved Feint + Bow Feint = ?

Fenryr
2011-01-14, 03:44 PM
Hies! I was searching for interesting feats for archery when I discovered Bow Feint, from Dragon Magazine 350. According to the research I did in the net, I can feint with a bow as a standard action.

It's possible to mix Bow Feint and Improved Feint to make a feint with the bow as a move action? If so, I should get Greater Manyshot and buy that Dragon Magazine to have proof for my DM :smalltongue:. Thanks!

Catch
2011-01-14, 03:52 PM
This is one of those "Ask your GM" things, but RAI says yes. I'd allow it, and if your GM is reasonable, he or she probably will too. Archery just isn't that powerful.

It's worth nothing that feinting and Greater Manyshot wouldn't work together, as your feint affects a single target.

Fenryr
2011-01-14, 03:55 PM
I know Archery and Precision Damage are not the best ways to deal damage. I prefer characters over damage and some types of cheese. Still, I like to optimize within the character concept.

Thanks for the answer. Any one else can aprove or refute?

Chilingsworth
2011-01-14, 04:00 PM
This is one of those "Ask your GM" things, but RAI says yes. I'd allow it, and if your GM is reasonable, he or she probably will too. Archery just isn't that powerful.

It's worth nothing that feinting and Greater Manyshot wouldn't work together, as your feint affects a single target.

I thought that manyshot and its ilk also had to affect a single target? In any case, it should be able to, shouldn't it?

Catch
2011-01-14, 05:25 PM
I thought that manyshot and its ilk also had to affect a single target? In any case, it should be able to, shouldn't it?

Feint applies to a single target, and one of the explicit functions of Greater Manyshot is to target multiple creatures. If you're picking it up to apply precision damage to multiple arrows though, then it's fine.

Greater Manyshot [General] (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#greaterManyshot)
Benefit:
When you use the Manyshot feat, you can fire each arrow at a different target instead of firing all of them at the same target. You make a separate attack roll for each arrow, regardless of whether you fire them at separate targets or the same target. Your precision-based damage applies to each arrow fired, and, if you score a critical hit with more than one of the arrows, each critical hit deals critical damage.

Lycar
2011-01-14, 06:15 PM
If you want to feint multiple foes, consider the Group Fake-Out skill trick from Complete Scoundrel (p. 87).

Works only once per fight though. So it's basically an Encounter Power. :smalltongue:

Lycar

Curmudgeon
2011-01-14, 07:06 PM
According to the research I did in the net, I can feint with a bow as a standard action.
Going strictly by the letter of the RAW you don't need to threaten the opponent, or have any weapon at hand, in order to feint.
Feinting in Combat

You can also use Bluff to mislead an opponent in melee combat (so that it can’t dodge your next attack effectively). To feint, make a Bluff check opposed by your target’s Sense Motive check, but in this case, the target may add its base attack bonus to the roll along with any other applicable modifiers.

If your Bluff check result exceeds this special Sense Motive check result, your target is denied its Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) for the next melee attack you make against it. This attack must be made on or before your next turn. The benefit of feinting normally applies just to melee attacks, of course, so that doesn't help if you're only using a bow. But it's useful to keep in mind if you're closing for melee: you can feint on the way there. :smallsmile:

Fenryr
2011-01-14, 07:15 PM
Yes, Curmudgeon, but the Bow Feint feat says "you can feint with a bow as a standard action". And Improved Feint only says "feint is now a move action". It doesn't say "feint with a melee weapon is now a move action". So 'm assuming I can do a feint with a bow.

Of course, my DM has the last word 'cause I don't see a RAW here (I may be wrong).