PDA

View Full Version : Power Over Time!...?

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-01-14, 06:05 PM
Hi there. I had a query. I'm tempted to play a character who is consumed by the concpet of time travel. In a mid to high magic game, planar travel is very easy, but time travel is still a bit of a mystery. With this in mind, I was wondering what class/PrC/abilities offer power over time. I know there are some spells that offer minor temporal tampering to be possible, but are there any PrC or abilities that focus on it?

Thanks.

Psyren
2011-01-14, 06:11 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183262

Alleran
2011-01-14, 09:21 PM
The Dragonlance books have several spells that grant rather powerful time travel, albeit with restrictions (e.g. the spell doesn't allow you to create a paradox). I'm thinking of Timereaver in particular here, and there's also the Forgotten Realms spell Teleport Through Time. Both are 9th level, however, so they take quite a bit of time to get.

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-01-15, 10:14 PM
Psyren, thanks for directing me to that thread. I've started looking into what was mentioned. What did you search to find that page, because I went looking for similar threads before posting.
Alleran, thank you for mentioning Dragonlance; I hadn't even considered that! I'll look into it post-haste.
Anything else I should look into while I'm at it?

Letums Gate
2011-01-16, 12:24 AM
You should look into Encyclopaedia Arcane Chronomancy - The Power of Time it is a good and intresting book.

Vknight
2011-01-16, 12:36 AM
Time Travel always leads to problems. I would keep it shut tight until your ready for enemies from the Future Past coming to get you. Or creatures that were banished for a set period of time coming back to the past & attacking.

Though if this is really what your going for what everyone else has suggested are useful & what I would suggest

Psyren
2011-01-16, 01:47 AM
Psyren, thanks for directing me to that thread. I've started looking into what was mentioned. What did you search to find that page, because I went looking for similar threads before posting.

Actually, I just posted in that thread before so it was easier to link you there than retype everything :smallsmile:

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-01-16, 11:26 AM
Letums Gate, I've never heard of that book before. Is it 3rd party, or even a d20 book? If so, by who?
Vknight, I agree with you about the dangers of Time Travel; as any Doctor Who nerd will attest, time is best left to its own devices. What I am working on is a Monk who uses either magic or psionics to manipulate time, no for full travel to the future/past, but more in a Prince of Persia: Sands of Time kind of way. Speaking of which, no one has made d20 rules for that, have they, cause that might be an interesting thing to look into, though, I imagine everything I need is already more than available from the sources mentioned here.
Aesome, still, I very much appreciate the advice Psyren. Do you have any other Psionics tips? I've never played a psionic class before. Anything I should look out for?

Closet_Skeleton
2011-01-16, 12:19 PM
Pretty sure there used to be a time travel series of articles on the WotC site. No idea where you'd find that now.

Psychonix
2011-01-16, 12:29 PM
It's already been mentioned, but chronomancy by mongoose publishing is well worth a look.

The powers may be based on time, but actual travel through time is difficult to do. Instead, you get things like rapidly ageing your opponents, modifying the passage of time so that you count as fully rested..etc etc

Vknight
2011-01-16, 07:58 PM
Actually Tibbaerrohwen I was thinking more 'Back to the Future' but same concept.

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-01-16, 09:36 PM
I wouldn't mean reading Chronomancy by Mongoose, but I have no idea where I would find a copy. I doubt it, but is there an SRD for it?

Napftor
2011-01-16, 10:37 PM
You might also want to try Temporality. The author (myself) culled time-related crunch from many different sources to use in this vision of time travel for your v3.5 game. You can get this in print (http://www.amazon.com/Temporality-D20-Sourcebook-Bret-Boyd/dp/0974664588) and pdf (http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=20324&it=1).

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-01-18, 05:05 PM
Napftor, I may look into your source in the future. Currently, however, monetary dispensation is not within my capacity to distribute. The text does look interesting, however, and, in the future (no pun intended), I will try to look into it.