PDA

View Full Version : Guys I Don't Understand Font

Claudius Maximus
2011-01-14, 08:14 PM
Today I'm going to start to write a book about Ancient Greek. In a shocking and unforeseen twist, writing it involves typing in Greek. And that's my problem. I downloaded a Greek font (New Athena Unicode, which other Classicists have said good things about), and this is what I get:

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/1206/clipimage002bu.jpg

Now these are some very queer shapes for Greek letters to take. I would even go so far as to say that they resemble Roman letters more than Greek. Why, it's almost as if there's some problem with the font.

So how do I fix this? I installed the font correctly as far as I can tell (dragging the TrueType file into the Fonts folder and waiting for the resulting installation dialogue box to complete, which takes roughly -1 seconds). Attempts to use the font in a word processor result in Roman characters just like the ones we see in the picture.

So what's the deal?

Haruki-kun
2011-01-14, 08:17 PM
*snip*

I'm not sure if I'm understanding your problem correctly, but...

The font itself doesn't allow you to write in Greek. It just appears WHEN you write in Greek. You need to install the actual Greek alphabet/keyboard. I'm not sure how to do that, though. Google?

Kuma Kode
2011-01-14, 08:18 PM
I don't think Greek letters are the same unicode block. As in, they're a separate section of the font. You're typing in Roman characters because your keyboard and language is set to something that uses it (Like, english).

Start > Accessories > Character Map

Then select your font from the list. Check around and see if you can find the section of the font that contains greek letters. You'll have to copy/paste them in, unless someone who knows more about fonts can tell you how to switch language settings for your keyboard on command.

Haruki-kun
2011-01-14, 08:20 PM
I googled it and found this. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/177561)

I think it should be in English for you. I'm in Mexico, so it automatically switches to Spanish... <.<

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2011-01-14, 08:26 PM
Yeah; most fonts can type in Russian (or, at least, many can), but you still need to inform your computer that that is the language in which you wish to type and choose an appropriate keyboard map, accordingly.

The above link should explain how to do it in Windows.

Claudius Maximus
2011-01-14, 08:27 PM
I googled it and found this. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/177561)

I think it should be in English for you. I'm in Mexico, so it automatically switches to Spanish... <.<

Bam. Problem solved forever. The option the normal directions were describing didn't exist on my computer yet, which was the source of my confusion.

Haruki-kun
2011-01-14, 08:29 PM
Bam. Problem solved forever. The option the normal directions were describing didn't exist on my computer yet, which was the source of my confusion.

Glad to be of help. :smallsmile:

Claudius Maximus
2011-01-14, 08:51 PM
Ευχαριστώ πολύ!