PDA

View Full Version : Combat Familiar

Kefkafreak
2011-01-14, 09:30 PM
My next character is going to be a Gnome Beguiler / Shadowcraft Mage and the DM is willing to let me take Obtain Familiar + Improved Familiar in exchange for two Flaws. I'm going to get a Quasit at level 7(Imp's probably better, but I don't want a Lawful familiar).

I want my familiar to be able to contribute in battle.

Beguiler is no Hexblade, so its attack bonus will be pitiful and its HP mediocre (I have 16 CON at least).

I could have someone use Psychic Reformation to change its two feats (Imp. Initiative and Weapon Finesse) if necessary, even to stuff like Bind Vestige or Martial Stance/Study. I could also give it a Wand since it can speak.

The campaign will take place near a big city and finding Tiny magical items such as weapons and armor will not be a problem.

What's the best way this Quasit could make himself useful in battle?

Urpriest
2011-01-14, 09:35 PM
Wanding seems your best bet. As a Beguiler you have UMD on your list, so the Quasit can spend its time blasting off whatever suits your fancy.

Bang!
2011-01-14, 09:36 PM
UMD a wand of polymorph (using your skill ranks) to turn into some silly Outsider that was never even considered in terms of balance in PC hands?

[Alternatively, replace 'polymorph' with 'Divine Power,' 'alter self,' 'wraithstrike' or whatever other gish spells strike your fancy]

Kefkafreak
2011-01-14, 09:49 PM
Divine Power will be great at high levels, but not too cost-effective at the beginning. I guess I'm looking for something more permanent like equipment or feats. Thanks for the help though, I was looking for something like that (improving BAB).