PDA

View Full Version : Sneaky Psionic characters AND Psionic Reformation. (3.5)

Dusk Eclipse
2011-01-14, 09:41 PM
Just for fun I am trying to build my user-namesake, and one of the ideas I was bouncing off, somehow clicked more in tune with the party than his actual incarnation.

Dusk Eclipse is a Longtooth Shifter Rogue 7/Ninja Spy (OA) 2/Swordsage 1 with the following stats:
After racials
Str 17 Dex 20, Con..11* Int 16. Wis 13 Cha 11.

Now the party and the whole campagn had the Quori and the Dreaming dark as the main antagonist, as such psionics played quite an important role in the game (both as enemies and allies; for example the other two members of the party are a Pyrokinetist and a Kineticist); so I am thinking that on this re-build version of Dusk, a psionic character would be more in tune with the party and more fun for me (the DM loves to send some undead and /or constructs regularly; and even with Penetrating Strike ACF my damage output is quite low).

So here is just a rough idea on how to make a descent psionic sneaky character

Trap-Finder Ranger 2/Ardent 3/Slayer 5; I've have to re-arrange stats, but I think I can manage that (I might leave an 18 in Int to mantain a decent ammount of skill points)

My Re arranged stats would be
(pre racial) [Post racial]
Str (14) [14]
Dex (18) [20]
Con (16)[16]
Int (18) [16]
Wis (17) [17]<- Probably will sink a level stat bump here
Cha (11) [9) And the other one here.

What do you think about this?

For the second part of the thread's tile.
Should I get Psychic reformation (either through mantle [substitution if needed] or expanded knowledge).

Also this is based on a comment seen on another forum
It said that I could start with Item creation feats and cost mitigation ones, craft a few items, and then use psychic reformation to change the feats, how would you react to something like this? please take in mind this is entirely RAW legal and I don't see if RAI could be used to argue against this use of Psychic reformation

Thanks in advance

Jack_Simth
2011-01-14, 09:55 PM
Should I get Psychic reformation (either through mantle [substitution if needed] or expanded knowledge).

Also this is based on a comment seen on another forum
It said that I could start with Item creation feats and cost mitigation ones, craft a few items, and then use psychic reformation to change the feats, how would you react to something like this? please take in mind this is entirely RAW legal and I don't see if RAI could be used to argue against this use of Psychic reformation

Thanks in advance
Short answer? Go for it.

So you want to trade out three feats. For grins, let's say they're your last two level-based feats, and a selectable class bonus feat, and that they're all within the last four levels. That's 200 xp to Psychic Reformation yourself.

Let's suppose one of the feats was the item creation feat, and one of them was a 25% off GP feat, and one of them was a 25% off XP feat.

Well... what did you build? For the moment, for pricing, we'll assume you built a +4 Shield (16,000 market - normal crafting: 8,000 gp, 640 xp).

Well, you got 25% off - so that's 6,000 gp and 480 xp to craft. You saved 160 xp and 2,000 gp doing this. Then you turned around and spent 200 xp to get rid of the feats. Net relative to normal crafting: Spent 40 xp on crafting to save 2,000 gp, and get the crafting feat back - not too bad of a deal.

If you want to Craft again, you need to reform again, costing another 200 xp to set it up, and another 200 xp to get back to your normal feat loadout. If you make a +4 armor this time, you spent 240 xp relative to normal crafting, and still only saved 2,000 gp relative to normal crafting.

It won't normally be overly worthwhile, but there are times when it will be. If you do a lot of crafting.