PDA

View Full Version : What can I use to play with my friends?

Mr.Christie
2011-01-14, 11:51 PM
Me and my friends want to play D&D together, but since we don't live close enough what can we use to irl. Play by post isn't good for us and none of us can get a port open so we can host maptool or gametable. So what could we use?

Elfin
2011-01-14, 11:52 PM
Skype, perhaps? Or an instant messaging system?

Mr.Christie
2011-01-14, 11:58 PM
We liked to use Gametable because it shows us a grid everyone can see at the same time. Does skype have that?

Elfin
2011-01-15, 01:32 AM
No, it doesn't - it's just a program that allows you to see and talk with people over the computer. Might be rather hard to set up for gaming, but I know there are people who use it.

One Tin Soldier
2011-01-15, 02:00 AM
I've used skype for gaming, mainly because I was home for winter break and thus in a different city. It works decently well, though I wouldn't really want to try using it if you use minis. (Something we didn't) Granted, we also had only 1 person not physically at the table, and having multiple skypes going would probably make it difficult.

Popertop
2011-01-15, 02:01 AM
It's okay if you don't really have any other options. Sometimes the channels can get screwy or the lighting gets messed up, but it's not a huge issue.

Trekkin
2011-01-15, 02:57 AM
Assuming Skype works, you could always screenshare on the DM's computer to display a grid in a suitable program; gametable, set simply to run on his computer without connecting elsewhere, might work.

Excession
2011-01-15, 03:40 AM
MapTool from http://rptools.net/ works for me and my friends. It can be a strange program at times, but once you get used to it it works well.

We also use Ventrilo for voice, as that's the one thing MapTool doesn't cover.