PDA

View Full Version : 3.5/Pathfinder Use Magic Device Rogue HELP

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-01-15, 12:10 AM
HI! I need help with a use magic device rogue... I kinda see this guy as coming from a family of magic users... and being skipped by the talent. He makes up for it with a.) being a rogue, and b.) Use Magic Device

Im trying to use as much Pathfinder material as possible (because some 3.5 stuff is... well, a bit silly)

What I have so far is...

Half Elf Level 8 Rogue

(Skill Focus: UMD)

STR: 10
DEX: 18 (20)
CON: 12
INT: 14
WIS: 12
CHA: 14 (16)

1 Magical Aptitude?
3 Imp. Initiative ?
5 Quick Draw (For scrolls and wands?)??
7 ???

Rogue Talent 2: Finesse
Rogue Talent 4: Minor Magic?
Rogue Talent 6: Major Magic?
Rogue Talent 8: Surprise Attack

Im gonna go all out, get a wand bracer, probably a wand chamber in my weapons, scroll cases, etc.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-01-15, 04:55 PM
bump :smallbiggrin:

Sillycomic
2011-01-15, 09:02 PM
I don't have much. You seem to be doing all the right things.

Quick Draw doesn't work for scrolls and wands, but if you want you can try to ask your GM about that rule. Considering it fits your character's fluff, I'm not sure it's that big of a deal.

Might also want him to look at Fast Drinker from the APG. Again... it won't work for your character (you need a Ki class feature to use it) but your GM might hand wave such things if it fits your character.

Spellstoring weapons work. I usually put Vampiric Touch in mine, simply because it's no save and if you successfully hit with the weapon you don't need to roll for the touch attack. Plus it gives you the HP it's taking from your enemies. It's like super win as far as Spellstoring is concerned.

Get a Handy Haversack. All wands, scrolls and whatnot are now move actions to take out... no matter what they are.

Circlet of Persuasion gives you a +3 to Charisma based checks. (only 4500 gold)

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-01-15, 09:49 PM
oh. I thought Quick Draw worked for "weapon-like objects" including scrolls and wands. Hm.

So... how would one draw a scroll or wand quickly? ish. I remember there being something like that somehow.

Dreadn4ught
2011-01-15, 09:54 PM
I know it's important for backstory, but skill focus isn't a great feat. Maybe you should take imp. initiative at 1st. Maybe.

Other than that, it's a good character. Good idea too.

Edit: I guess if your rogue is really focused on UMD, not just as fluff but for gameplay, you can ignore my post.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-01-16, 03:31 AM
Yeah... My UMD is 25, including all modifiers and goggles of Minute Seeing. (+5 UMD)

Im playing in a game with a Sorcerer, a Cleric, a Scout/Druid... and me, a Ranger. However, the ranger has died? (the DM wasnt very clear, he might now be a recurring NPC) and so Im making a Rogue. Being tier 4 in a campaign of (mostly) tier 2 or higher hurts, especially starting around this level. (level 8)

To negate some of that hurt, Im focusing strongly on UMD. I like the fluff too: coming from a family of magic users, not really gaining much of that talent... but making up for it in skill and wits. Always the second best, always in the shadow of his sibling. a seeker of knowledge, always trying to measure up. Maybe trying to find a missing sorcerous sibling.

Anyway... I was looking at the Forgotten Realms books... I saw something about a bandoleer or a scroll organizer that allowed scrolls to be quickly seen. Though, it appears it has no effect on the time it takes to draw them...

Do scrolls count as a "weapon-like object" for drawing? if not, how long does it take then? a move action? can that be combined with a movement as per a weapon, if I have a +1 base attack bonus or higher?

Re'ozul
2011-01-16, 06:33 AM
So were you a TWF ranger?
If you were an archer you didn't stay far enough away from the fighting.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-01-16, 04:28 PM
I was an archer, thank you. Quite well built, if I may say so myself. TWF are for Drizzt fanboys. :smallbiggrin:

And you are right, I didnt stay far enough away from the fighting. that happens sometimes when you all go down a narrow, dark and small well to go ghoul hunting to save some poor villagers, and the ghouls turn out to be the least of your problems.

However, THAT is not the topic of this thread. feel free to critique my tactics in a PM. I am sure that you have never made a tactical mistake in a D&D game, ever. I would love to hear all about it sometime, and to learn your flawless ways. I DON'T want to hear about it in a way that derails my thread, however.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-01-16, 04:51 PM
Also, I just checked the official Paizo thing on quickdraw... can't be used with wands, potions, or scrolls.

So... what feat(s) would be good to take to replace Quick Draw? (since it is once mostly useless to me now)

randomhero00
2011-01-16, 05:07 PM
I'd ask your DM to homebrew ones for it.

mucat
2011-01-16, 05:16 PM
Also, I just checked the official Paizo thing on quickdraw... can't be used with wands, potions, or scrolls.

So... what feat(s) would be good to take to replace Quick Draw? (since it is once mostly useless to me now)

As your DM about that. If I were running the game, I gladly rule that your character can Quickdraw wands and scrolls. You're not trying to use the feat to do anything cheesy or overpowered, just to bolster an already fun and interesting character concept.

Though if one of the other players found a way to do something cheesy with that houserule ("Ah, cool! My ridiculously convoluted blastificer build just got more powerful!") they would be quickly shut down.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-01-16, 05:21 PM
well, its just that we tend to do as much possible RAW.... so I think that i already kind of know the answer. :smallbiggrin: However, we might be able to work something out... I dont suppose there is an item (magical or otherwise) that allows such things for scrolls?

Ive seen a belt that allows free action drawing of potions.... Forgotten realms somewhere...