PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce Nale's name?

ThisIsNotDan
2011-01-15, 12:21 AM
Naw, just kidding.

I actually just wanted to say that I bet Elan (pronounced EE-lan) doesn't know how to whistle, and so he won't be able to alert Haley when the guards come. But then again, he's a bard; you'd think whistling would come with the territory. Has he ever whistled in past comics?

CletusMusashi
2011-01-15, 02:06 AM
You just press your lips together and blow. Even, and this is a pretty big longshot, even IF he never learned independantly... he's an adventurer with a charisma of 18 in a universe where all cliches have enough relevance to at least be cliches. So even IF... I think how to whistle has been brought to his attention by now.
Plus, telling him to whistle keeps him from singing "Distract, distract, distract the guards who are being charmed into helping us..."

Shoelessgdowar
2011-01-15, 09:07 AM
You just press your lips together and blow. Even, and this is a pretty nig longshot, even IF he never learned independantly... he's an adventurer with a charisma of 18 in a universe where all cliches have enough relevance to at least be cliches. So even IF... I think how to whistle has been vrought to his attention by now.
Plus, telling him to whistle keeps him from singing "Distract, distract, distract the guards who are being charmed into helping us..."

He could Kazoo

Kish
2011-01-15, 09:15 AM
Even if EE-lan doesn't know how to whistle, as long as EE-lin does, they're safe.

LuPuWei
2011-01-15, 02:41 PM
But does EeTee ever telephone home?

Sutremaine
2011-01-15, 08:56 PM
You just press your lips together and blow.
fffffffff
fff
fffffffffffffffffffffp

Is it weird to be able to whistle better while breathing in?

WalkingTarget
2011-01-15, 09:26 PM
Is it weird to be able to whistle better while breathing in?

I don't think so. I figured that out before the "normal" way of doing it. I'm about as good with either method at this point.

CletusMusashi
2011-01-16, 12:39 AM
I'm much better at whistling inward, actually. But Hollywood has given us no appropriate stock-joke about that method.

SaintRidley
2011-01-16, 01:07 AM
I am unable to whistle regardless of how I try. It simply will not work for me. I'm broke.

ThePhantasm
2011-01-16, 07:42 PM
Couldn't you have said this in the actual strip thread?

And what is the point of the dupe thread title? :smallconfused:

ikera
2011-02-03, 03:17 AM
Hey, I also just noticed this one when I read the reply above me. Why did you post such a fake name to the thread and gave something else in the body of the thread. Instead you could have done this post under the thread meant for the strip. I hope that you will come forward and answer this doubt of every one over here. We all are looking forward to a reply soon. Thanks in advance. :smallsmile:

Themrys
2011-02-03, 05:36 AM

It is not as easy as you might imagine.
My mother tried to teach me how to whistle when I was little, and it still took some time to learn it. So, if Elan had never tried before...
However, being a bard and everything, I'm quite sure he can do it.

Nimrod's Son
2011-02-03, 09:05 AM
I used to be able to whistle really well as a child, but I tripped over and cut my top lip when I was about ten. There's still a little lump on the inside of the lip to this day, and it's made my whistle so weak as to be practically non-existent ever since. So yeah, some people are just simply not capable of it.

Mauve Shirt
2011-02-03, 09:15 AM
Nah-lay.
Just kidding, it rhymes with nail (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0367.html).
Also, I'm sure Elan can whistle.

Ronan
2011-02-03, 09:19 AM
So, I'm not the only one who can't whistle. Since it's got to do with your teeth, using braces and whistling don't get along very well :smalltongue:

As for Nale, Ask Thog
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0367.html

Edit: Those ninjas are fast :smalltongue:

Nimrod's Son
2011-02-03, 09:27 AM
Also, I'm sure Elan can whistle.
He sure can. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0389.html)

Swordpriest
2011-02-03, 09:42 AM
I love the Nah-Lay pronunciation. :smallwink:

What, you mean it's supposed to be Nail?

(If someone makes a totally false title, and expects me to discuss what they want to discuss, then they're asking too much. As far as I'm concerned, this thread is about the pronunciation of Nale's name.)

doodthedud
2011-02-12, 02:24 PM

....actually I can't whistle. That just blows air for me.

Forum Staff
2011-02-13, 09:35 AM
Spam, mostly, considering the topic isn't related to the thread title and then immediately derails anyway.