PDA

View Full Version : What defines a personality

Don Julio Anejo
2011-01-15, 03:22 AM
In the Aspie thread one of the "between the lines" opinions, while not specifically stated, but was noticeable was that if suddenly someone stopped being an Aspie (say, through a miracle cure), they would no longer be who they are and their personality would be completely different. Meaning that being an Aspie is one of the defining aspects of who they are. So I got curious and decided to ask the forum...

What, in your opinion defines someone's personality?

And do you think it's good or bad if someone wants to change it (say, become more assertive or considerably change interests) if they think it will improve their life, for example by becoming more popular or more successful with the other sex they prefer?

Or should someone instead look for friends that will accept them for who they are and make no effort to change?

Obviously not restricted to a discussion of Asperger's but rather any kind of things someone may want to change.

golentan
2011-01-15, 03:50 AM
Too big a question, and one where different people will draw the line at different places. It's like asking what is a soul. As far as I'm concerned, personality is a combination of the actions you *choose* to take (choice being necessary), and your reasons for doing so. You don't change your personality, because any choice you make to do so is part of that personality. It may get changed by outside forces, but as long as you maintain stream of consciousness it's still you: same as you're still you if someone hacks off a limb or you sprout a growth of some kind.

Nibleswick
2011-01-15, 03:52 AM
My personal definition would be that a persons personality is what is visible of the sum total of who they are.

I'm always looking to change my personality, because it is always good to try to be a better person than you are right now.

Frozen_Feet
2011-01-15, 07:40 AM
Your personality is sum of behaviours that persist. The longer you have a trait, the more integral it is to who you are - of course, nothing lasts forever and as time passes by, some traits come and go.

Comet
2011-01-15, 07:47 AM
And do you think it's good or bad if someone wants to change it (say, become more assertive or considerably change interests) if they think it will improve their life, for example by becoming more popular or more successful with the other sex they prefer?

I think it's a really good thing. If you are unhappy with your life because your personality doesn't match those around you, some change should be in order. Not anything dramatic or instantenous, since you don't want to become 'fake', but slow steps.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-01-15, 11:21 AM
Be true to yourself, but also realise that you can change yourself without changing your personality.

On the subject of personalities: I used to think that I was mad until I took a Myers-Briggs test, got ENTP and found out what that meant. It's helped join up quite a few dots for me (the process of doing so being, incidentally, an ENTP trait :smalltongue:).

CrimsonAngel
2011-01-15, 12:01 PM
The music one listens to. :smallcool:

Ytaker
2011-01-15, 01:09 PM
Some aspects of personality are mutable, some not. For instance, to again better popularity you may bathe regularly. You may still have the trait of being absentminded, but in that one particular area you avoid it.

If in contrast you tried to change your sexuality (edit. viewpoint. Oops.) from one who enjoyed video games to one who enjoyed football you'd likely find your personality less mutable.

When you change something, work out how mutable that aspect is.

Mikhailangelo
2011-01-15, 01:50 PM
A man is the sum of his memories

Sums up personality pretty concisely and accurately, in my view.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-01-15, 01:51 PM
If in contrast you tried to change your sexuality from one who enjoyed video games to one who enjoyed football you'd likely find your personality less mutable.

:confused:

golentan
2011-01-15, 02:00 PM

Seconded. So much.

DeadManSleeping
2011-01-15, 02:08 PM
If in contrast you tried to change your sexuality from one who enjoyed video games to one who enjoyed football you'd likely find your personality less mutable.

Although, frankly, if you enjoy either in that way, we'd rather not hear about it. :smalltongue:

As far as personality, people change personality throughout their life no matter what. It's pretty hard to say what changes are keeping within the original parameters and what changes really are drastic.

The fragility of the human mind has long since dissuaded me of the idea of some immutable "self". Your personality is what it is. It is not the same as it was yesterday, and it will not be the same tomorrow. Certain aspects may be more important to you, or to those who know you, but which ones you value will change as well.

Ytaker
2011-01-15, 02:10 PM

I was originally going for you can't ( edit. change )sexuality from gay to straight. Then I looked at the original example and switched it over to video games. I got a slightly deformed hybrid out of that.

Murdim
2011-01-15, 04:02 PM
I was originally going for you can't sexuality from gay to straight. Then I looked at the original example and switched it over to video games. I got a slightly deformed hybrid out of that.
You know you've spent too much time in the LGBTAitp thread when... :smallbiggrin:

A man is the sum of his memories Sums up personality pretty concisely and accurately, in my view.
This does have pretty infortunate (not to mention scary) implications for amnesiacs.

Ichneumon
2011-01-15, 05:17 PM
Here is Batman's answer to the question: "It's not who you are, but what you do that defines you."

Adumbration
2011-01-15, 05:26 PM
Possibly a loose quote: We are the sum of all that we do and all that is done to us.

Worira
2011-01-15, 08:46 PM

Don't judge me! My love for videogames is pure!

Mando Knight
2011-01-15, 11:23 PM
Don't judge me! My love for videogames is pure!

That may be, but we're still confiscating your body pillows.

Frozen_Feet
2011-01-16, 12:26 AM
This does have pretty infortunate (not to mention scary) implications for amnesiacs.

Which are all pretty much true; amnesiacs and dementics can hardly be called the same persons anymore when their cases are bad enough. That's what often alienates their former loved ones from them - the fact that the person you used to know just isn't there anymore.

DrizztFan24
2011-01-16, 12:42 AM
a dynamic and organized set of characteristics possessed by a person that uniquely influences his or her cognitions, motivations, and behaviors in various situations

My Personality Theory prof stated that (in loose quotes) personality is a stable, predictable governing force that comes from withing the psyche.

HalfTangible
2011-01-16, 12:46 AM
We are the sum of our perceptions. Not what is done, not what we do, but how we see the things we do.