PDA

View Full Version : LA progression for goliath warlock

rye0006
2011-01-15, 06:03 AM
I'm thinking of creating a Goliath character who starts out as a wrestling monk but when leaving his tribe and starting adventuring develops in a clawing, grappling warlock.
but i was trying to work out when i level adjusted character gets their feats.

a goliath is +1 LA so if i started out with level 1 monk for his wrestling backstory and then a level of warlock - would i have 2 feats (1st and 3rd levels), or just 1 (1st level only as i've only 2 class levels.)

just trying to work out when i can take the eldritch claw, grappling blast feats etc.

Runestar
2011-01-15, 06:21 AM
For feats, use total number of HD, so your character gets 1 feat at ECL3 (when he has 2 class lvs). He will get his 2nd feat at ECL4 (when he has 3 class lvs).

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-01-15, 08:09 AM
Rather than worrying about a savage progression for it, you could instead go with the quick and dirty suggested fix from Player's Guide to Faerun where a character with LA simply takes a penalty equal to his LA until you reach the point where you are of sufficient level that you could normally play that character.

TL;DR: Instead of going through all that work, your Goliath simply takes a -1 penalty to everything for his +1 LA till 2nd level.

rye0006
2011-01-15, 12:34 PM
I'm sorry - I might be being really stupid, but i don't understand what you've said.
A normal non-LA character gets feats at lvl 1 and 3 then every third level after that.

Would a Goliath get his feats exactly the same or get them at levels 2 and 4 and then every third level after that (i.e. always one level later than a non-LA character)?
or am i getting how LA works completely wrong?

For feats, use total number of HD, so your character gets 1 feat at ECL3 (when he has 2 class lvs). He will get his 2nd feat at ECL4 (when he has 3 class lvs).

this seems to suggest that my character would not get is lvl1 equivalent feat until ECL3 which seems really late and harsh!

apologies, but im just really confused now. (tbh i was confused in the first place hence the post! lol)

Urpriest
2011-01-15, 12:49 PM
Ok, here's how you do it:

Feats, ability score increases, and EVERYTHING EXCEPT XP is determined by something called Character Level. Your Character Level is always equal to the number of hit dice you have. Since you don't have any racial hit dice, this is equal to the number of class levels you have. The only time you use the Level Adjustment +1 from Goliath is when you add it to your Character Level to find your Effective Character Level (ECL), which only is used to figure out whether you can level up. Every other calculation uses Character Level. So you get a feat at ECL 2, and another feat at ECL 4.

rye0006
2011-01-15, 01:17 PM
cheers, sorry for being a stupid wotsit!

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-01-15, 02:00 PM
cheers, sorry for being a stupid wotsit!

S'alright, LA is one of the odd things with 3.5 and the jargon can be rather thick at times.

Back to the actual request, though, there may be some homebrew around here that already covers the savage progression. I vaguely recall a project in creating a bunch of them a while back, but I don't think it was intended for the small adjustments like Goliath and Half-Giant, but more for actual monsters. Google may still be able to help you, though.