PDA

View Full Version : Being the guy that has a trap for that.

Tech Boy
2011-01-15, 11:43 AM
Hey folks, I am currently in a level 4 pathfinder campaign. I am a Rogue with some crazy stats and 12 skill points per level. I would like to put a bunch of points into craft trap. Could someone explain to me how the trap system works?

I am thinking I could make traps, place them in the combat area, and make enemies hit them as they get closer to me.

Is this possible?

In short:
A) How do traps work in Pathfinder
B) Is it possible to use traps in combat?

Thanks!

Jack_Simth
2011-01-15, 03:45 PM
Hey folks, I am currently in a level 4 pathfinder campaign. I am a Rogue with some crazy stats and 12 skill points per level. I would like to put a bunch of points into craft trap. Could someone explain to me how the trap system works?

I am thinking I could make traps, place them in the combat area, and make enemies hit them as they get closer to me.

Is this possible?

In short:
A) How do traps work in Pathfinder
B) Is it possible to use traps in combat?

Thanks!
A) Long description, so see the link (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/traps).
B) Not unless you're fighting a defensive battle, or using spell traps, no.

Mulletmanalive
2011-01-15, 04:12 PM
If you have access to Complete Scoundrel, check out the Combat Trapsmith, up the DCs a little and presto, you have something interesting at least.

There's also a similar type of class in Dungeonscape.

Issue here is partially that traps aren't something you can just make in haste. Even a tripwire spike-arm trap requires stake sharpening and careful positioning [I doubt i could rig one in less than 10 minutes if I practiced like crazy and had the perfect location.

Best you could really hope for is alchemical mines and trapsmithing to allow you to position them in effective places.

Redrat2k6
2011-01-15, 04:17 PM
@Jack_Smith

Actually with 2 rogue talents, quick trapsmith and cunning trigger, combat trapping is very possible.

@Tech Bot

Problem is most mooks will see you setting up traps mid combat unless you take measures to prevent that, making most traps in combat situations battlefield control.