PDA

View Full Version : So, who feels brave?

Irbis
2011-01-15, 12:18 PM
Honestly, can anyone watch this video to the end and tell me you weren't unnerved even once? :smallwink:

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1941259

Before someone asks, yes, it's completely violence/blood/language free, pretty much PG for those in the US.

Haruki-kun
2011-01-15, 12:27 PM
No, I couldn't do that job.

The camera makes it even scarier, though. That lens makes the ground look like it curves.

CrimsonAngel
2011-01-15, 12:30 PM
Oh god. I would never do that. :smalleek:

DraPrime
2011-01-15, 12:31 PM
I imagine that after a while you get completely used to it. But for the first few weeks...:smalleek:

ShadowHunter
2011-01-15, 12:36 PM
Poor guy. It was given by a guy to his friend who runs a blog about radio engineering, and it spread from there. The site was the[SOMETHINGIFORGET]Engineer

Fun fact, you sure as heck are not allowed to free climb a structure like that, and the blog that originally posted that video pulled it when his friend realized that

A)the community of people who do that work is small and

B)that video had become incredibly popular and people in that community were bound to see it and deduce who it was flaunting the safety regulations which could put a damper on his employability

There's a good chance a lot of people just do it like he did for convenience, but they don't film themselves doing it.

Poor guy, this was maybe like half a year ago, and I see it's still floating around the internet.

I like to think I'm pretty ok with heights. Here's what I do for fun these days, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1RZDCMO1gk

Edit: Clearly the guy's website I couldn't remember is in that video! I'll see if I can find the relevant blog entry...and I can't

thubby
2011-01-15, 12:38 PM
unnerved? yes, i cant imagine the guys how do it aren't, either. could i do it? I think i could.

really, though, these things are just a testament to bad engineering.

DraPrime
2011-01-15, 12:39 PM
unnerved? yes, i cant imagine the guys how do it aren't, either. could i do it? I think i could.

really, though, these things are just a testament to bad engineering.

Bad engineering? I'd say that something that tall standing in the midst of fun things like lightning and wind is some pretty good engineering.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-15, 12:41 PM
No. Of course not. Now if I was doing it, I'd probably have a heart attack.

Kobold-Bard
2011-01-15, 12:43 PM
The video was no issue, it's a video after all (and the guy having the most boring voice in the history of the world helped too).

Couldn't do the job though, I dislike heights. Couldn't be doing with all that free climbing gibberish.

Ichneumon
2011-01-15, 12:43 PM
That's actually more scary than I expected. I really wouldn't dare doing that.

Irbis
2011-01-15, 12:46 PM
B)that video had become incredibly popular and people in that community were bound to see it and deduce who it was flaunting the safety regulations which could put a damper on his employability

There's a good chance a lot of people just do it like he did for convenience, but they don't film themselves doing it.

Convenience? If you look at the end, when he stands at the very top, when he fastens that extra chain link, you'll notice he is not holding on to anything anymore :smalleek: While his friend just ignores the link and locks directly to the rings.

And even if he did locked himself, I'm not sure what it would have helped - when he climbs that "ladder" he locks his belt on a straight piece of wire - if he fell, the lock would slide right off.

I like to think I'm pretty ok with heights. Here's what I do for fun these days, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1RZDCMO1gk

Eh, that's different. You're in enclosed space, for one. Would you do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byS2Aqld4bM#t=47s

It's much smaller height, it shouldn't be scary, right? :smallwink:

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-15, 12:47 PM
Wait. How the Hell to get down?

Kobold-Bard
2011-01-15, 12:49 PM

Jetpack most likely.

Destro_Yersul
2011-01-15, 12:53 PM
I suspect parachutes.

Anxe
2011-01-15, 12:55 PM
My hands started sweating while watching that. Damn...

EDIT: What if it gets windy? And it's somewhat fitting that the basejumper video has a Redbull parachute.

ShadowHunter
2011-01-15, 12:58 PM
h, that's different. You're in enclosed space, for one. Would you do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byS2Aqld4bM#t=47s

It's much smaller height, it shouldn't be scary, right?

After highschool I wanted to get my pilot's license, but it was too expensive, so I settled for skydiving. I always wanted to go BASE jumping at least once but couldn't build up enough skydiving experience.

BASE jumping is indeed a lot more dangerous. I'd say general aviation is much more dangerous than skydiving, though.

Response to your edit: You don't go if it's particularly windy. It takes a lot of practice to hold yourself stable and not to spin around when you open the parachute, both things are very bad if there's something behind you. I always figured I'd go to Bridge Day, or something http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridge_Day (bridges being safer to BASE jump)

Anxe
2011-01-15, 01:05 PM
I was tempted to respond to your edit response within my first post...

Thanks though! That's what I wanted to say.

DraPrime
2011-01-15, 01:07 PM

It's a one-time job.

ShadowHunter
2011-01-15, 01:10 PM
I wanna say the OLE blog had promised a part 2 before he aborted and took everything down, and in it were screenshots that appeared to have them rappelling.

That would be easiest, but I'm not sure how they'd do that without leaving crap up at the top

Irbis
2011-01-15, 01:11 PM
That would be easiest, but I'm not sure how they'd do that without leaving crap up at the top

Set the knot on fire? :smalltongue:

Kobold-Bard
2011-01-15, 01:12 PM

Elven rope, like in LotR. Once you're down safe it lets itself loose.

golentan
2011-01-15, 01:16 PM
Yeah. That's hideously against regulations to freeclimb. Though I'm with Thubby: May be good engineering from one standpoint, but from a human safety standpoint it's terrible.

Mikhailangelo
2011-01-15, 01:49 PM
I'm not scared of heights.

The ground however...

Rawhide
2011-01-15, 02:37 PM
It's apparently not so clear whether it is allowed under the rules or not.

http://wackyworldofwaste.blogspot.com/2010/09/view-to-die-for-osha-and-free-climbing.html

Yora
2011-01-15, 02:51 PM
Does this count as working in space?

I guess for job like this, you have to be able to shut down your sense of height. But I don't think it would provide you with any meaningful information anyway at that height. :smallbiggrin:

The Vorpal Tribble
2011-01-15, 02:52 PM
I'm not one to shirk a challenge, but heights are my one true weakness. I absolutely hate'em.

I love climbing, but open air like that I would have to do a lot of psyching up. Might be able to get up the caged part. You're mostly safe. After that... no.

I've crawled on my belly through pits of snake eggs with the only light my headlamp in a previous job, and wasn't unnerved. I've gotten stuck in places while hiking and had to wait for help. I even once had to keep my head and give myself the Heimlich maneuver because of choking on food.

But get me up there and I'd have to control some serious vertigo. Rather stick my arm down a crocodile's throat than do it.

thubby
2011-01-15, 02:53 PM
Bad engineering? I'd say that something that tall standing in the midst of fun things like lightning and wind is some pretty good engineering.

the end functionality is only part of good engineering. this thing endangers the life of everyone who works on it, that's just stupid. and i get that there's only so much anyone can do about that without making a proper building, but these guys shouldn't have to be climbing on the supports. 1:30 is just without excuse.

Kobold-Bard
2011-01-15, 02:56 PM
the end functionality is only part of good engineering. this thing endangers the life of everyone who works on it, that's just stupid. and i get that there's only so much anyone can do about that without making a proper building, but these guys shouldn't have to be climbing on the supports. 1:30 is just without excuse.

Eh, that's what danger pay is for.

Irbis
2011-01-15, 03:07 PM
BASE jumping is indeed a lot more dangerous. I'd say general aviation is much more dangerous than skydiving, though.

Aviation is more dangerous than skydiving?

What if you do it like a man and jump out without a parachute? :smallamused:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXQ1qEh9ar8

ForzaFiori
2011-01-15, 04:18 PM
I would do any of the things in this video EXCEPT climbing the tower. Heights don't bother me. What bothers me is knowing from previous climbing experience that my hands get very sweaty very quickly, and I usually slip at least once per climb. Most of the time, it's fine. your strapped in or you're low enough not to fall to your death. However, if you slip free-climbing that tower, your dead, end of story. Flying, your in a plane, you can't really fall out unless you have some MAJOR malfunctions. Even diving without a parachute would be OK if I really trusted the people jumping with me. I wouldn't do it with a stranger, but if I had a skydiving instructor I had worked with before with me, I'd probably do it. But you couldn't pay me enough danger pay to get me to free climb that tower. The highest I've ever free climbed was a grain silo, and even then it was halfway underwater, and I jumped off the top of it (probably climbed about half way up. Nearly burst an eardrum when I pencil dived into the water)

Irbis
2011-01-15, 05:14 PM
I would do any of the things in this video EXCEPT climbing the tower. Heights don't bother me. What bothers me is knowing from previous climbing experience that my hands get very sweaty very quickly, and I usually slip at least once per climb.

Slippery hands? Better don't watch these two, then :smallwink:

Scary :P (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfl6iv_walk-like-a-boss-on-900ft-tower_sport/)

More scary :P (http://www.funiaste.net/3531,69679,filmik.html)

[you need to scroll down that one]

Ok, no more heartbreaking movies, I promise these two were the last -.-"

averagejoe
2011-01-15, 07:13 PM
Just imagine the guys who were building that thing. :smalleek:

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-15, 07:44 PM
Just imagine the guys who were building that thing. :smalleek:

Depends on the method, they could have used cranes or they could have built it from the ground up manually, going up along with the structure.

Trog
2011-01-15, 08:10 PM
My dad sent my this video a couple weeks ago. He used to be a paratrooper in the U.S. Army and even he watched this video and was all like "Oh HELL no!"

I'm curious what that job pays.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-15, 08:15 PM
My dad sent my this video a couple weeks ago. He used to be a paratrooper in the U.S. Army and even he watched this video and was all like "Oh HELL no!"

I'm curious what that job pays.

Probably not much, in a sudden twist of irony.

averagejoe
2011-01-15, 11:39 PM
Depends on the method, they could have used cranes or they could have built it from the ground up manually, going up along with the structure.

The second one is how I imagine all buildings being built.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-16, 12:10 AM
The second one is how I imagine all buildings being built.

I now realize my mistake. I meant that it's possible to work on the last floor and wait for it to be fully built until you grow upwards and there is the possibility of working on the next one the second the last one can hold the weight.

averagejoe
2011-01-16, 12:49 AM
I now realize my mistake. I meant that it's possible to work on the last floor and wait for it to be fully built until you grow upwards and there is the possibility of working on the next one the second the last one can hold the weight.

And, of those, the first one is how I imagine all buildings being built. :smalltongue: It wouldn't make sense otherwise.

Flickerdart
2011-01-16, 12:53 AM
Why is the man being followed by a storm trooper?

The Commander
2011-01-16, 01:05 AM
Imagine a strong gust of wind... I tip my hat to that man! My heart was pounding all the way through! :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2011-01-16, 01:12 AM
Poor guy. It was given by a guy to his friend who runs a blog about radio engineering, and it spread from there. The site was the[SOMETHINGIFORGET]Engineer

Fun fact, you sure as heck are not allowed to free climb a structure like that, and the blog that originally posted that video pulled it when his friend realized that

A)the community of people who do that work is small and

Poor guy, this was maybe like half a year ago, and I see it's still floating around the internet.

Edit: Clearly the guy's website I couldn't remember is in that video! I'll see if I can find the relevant blog entry...and I can'tDo you have a source for all this? Because it says in the video that the safety regulations allow for free climbing or somesuch - it's near the start.

Also: flippin' 'eck :smalleek:

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-16, 01:12 AM
And, of those, the first one is how I imagine all buildings being built. :smalltongue: It wouldn't make sense otherwise.

Actually it does, you get the job done faster at the expense of security, a fair trade-off.

Do you have a source for all this? Because it says in the video that the safety regulations allow for free climbing or somesuch - it's near the start.

Also: flippin' 'eck :smalleek:

They actually don't, it was part of one of the external links in a cracked article. The security regulations forbid it but they do it anyway to save time and because at that point you have to be insane to even show up for work.

Serpentine
2011-01-16, 01:21 AM
You know who wouldn't cope well with that job? This guy. (http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1941307)

SDF
2011-01-16, 01:45 AM
That looks like so much fun! I like, seriously want that job. I love to climb and heights really don't bother me.

An Enemy Spy
2011-01-16, 01:51 AM
This may very well be the worst narrator on earth.

ShadowHunter
2011-01-16, 02:07 AM
Aviation is more dangerous than skydiving?

What if you do it like a man and jump out without a parachute?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0skaR-dLQo

One-upped! That actually freaks me out a little to watch

You can't look at normal accidents for comparison's sake (minor occurrences count as accidents in aviation, the equivalent accidents for automobiles aren't always recorded) but you can look at fatal accidents since that's what people tend to care about. With that in mind, commercial airliners can be considered reasonably less likely to kill you then driving. General aviation (private pilots and non-airline commercial pilots) has a fatality rate something like 20 times more than driving cars. Meanwhile, normal skydiving (reasonable altitudes, main and reserve parachute) doesn't even come close

Do you have a source for all this? Because it says in the video that the safety regulations allow for free climbing or somesuch - it's near the start.

I know they say that in the video, yet I do remember everyone in the OLE blog arguing about how that wasn't true. It appears he's yanked the blog entries, thus leaving me looking perhaps insane