PDA

View Full Version : Ever Squick Yourself Out Homebrewing?

Keinnicht
2011-01-15, 03:47 PM
Oh god, sorry for the blog-ish post, but has anyone here ever made a monster or something a little too well for their own comfort?

I recently made a chunk of my campaign setting that had been touched by the Far Realm, causing those spending long periods of time there to mutate. I made three tables to randomly roll mutations on, that I posted on the homebrew forums.

During the course of this, I had to imagine mutations. This means I spent several hours doing nothing but imagining what it would be like to have eyes in your mouth, forcing you to open it to see, people with tentacles inside of their transparent skulls, etc.

Uuugghhh.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-01-15, 04:20 PM
Not exactly squick, but I got overly into the role of the madman who created the first Relicforged (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9429854&postcount=4) while writing his diary blurbs.

The Tygre
2011-01-15, 09:54 PM
Yeah, th-that's really something.

*pulls up chair and watches*

Now, where exactly are these mutation tables? :smallbiggrin:

Tengu_temp
2011-01-15, 10:24 PM
Not entirely homebrew, but I created one of my villains by taking my own beliefs, exaggerating them way beyond sanity, and adding some other elements. When roleplaying her, I went way too deeply into her mindset. Not a pleasant experience at all.

The Watchman
2011-01-15, 10:51 PM
Not entirely homebrew, but I created one of my villains by taking my own beliefs, exaggerating them way beyond sanity, and adding some other elements. When roleplaying her, I went way too deeply into her mindset. Not a pleasant experience at all.

I had a similar experience, but with a character who doesn't share my own beliefs, except on the most superficial level.

I've never managed to actually squick myself out purely from grotesque imagery. I'm hard to squick when it's someone else coming up with the stuff. I'm pretty much immune to my own.

It's probably because I've always thought that evil people are scarier than tentacles. After I ran the character I mentioned above, I had everyone else involved in that RP agreeing with me, too.

Kuma Kode
2011-01-15, 10:56 PM
Half of the monsters I came up with for Shadow Theory (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147142) disturbed me on some level, either imagining things from their point of view, visualizing what they do, or pondering what they represent.

grimbold
2011-01-16, 03:31 AM
Yeah, th-that's really something.

*pulls up chair and watches*

Now, where exactly are these mutation tables? :smallbiggrin:

my thoughts exactly
how where some of these supposed to work exactly?

Mikeavelli
2011-01-16, 03:49 AM
I once decided the "Mythos encounter" of a Call of Cthulhu campaign should be a giant floating psychic fetus still in the Amniotic sac. It was hanging out in the basement of an Abortion Clinic.

Never again.

ninja_penguin
2011-01-16, 10:44 AM
I think I'm cracked. Usually when I come up with this stuff, I end up maniacally giggling to myself when I think about my players reactions. I'm not that horrible with what I really come up with though, in terms of serious shock and/or awe.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2011-01-16, 10:48 AM
Much to the chagrin of many people I know, no.

I did however make a character for Exalted that distressed me in the slightest simply because he was the most twisted monster I'd ever conceived and roleplaying him fit like a really unsettling glove. Like... a glove full of cold vaseline.

Vknight
2011-01-16, 11:11 AM
I homebrewed a monster for the end of a quest. I went back we will speak no more of this!