PDA

View Full Version : Achieving Dorian Grey/Reaver-esq "Immortality" <3.5>

Tokuhara
2011-01-15, 08:43 PM
This has bugged me: How can a "human" obtain the ability to shake free of mortality? I realise that wish/true wish can accomplish this, but is this the only way?

Criteria: High Damage reduction whist avoiding savagery, high regeneration, cannot age, not undead

Personally, I think that an Elan covers the first part, but the fast healing and near immunity to damage is quite another

Greenish
2011-01-15, 08:55 PM
Dorian Grey had damage reduction and regeneration? :smallconfused:

Well, you won't get those, but I remember a book or another had a minor (I think) artifact called Grey Mirror or Grey Portrait (I forget). It does away aging (and, assumedly, the outward signs of 'orrible moral corruption).

Elans actually age, though they never die of old age, and they have a form of damage resistance in Elan Resilience. Imp. Elan Resilience (CPsi feat) gets you to 4 damage per 1 PP negation. Slap on Psion and you can take some hits.

A wedded to history changeling warshaper doesn't age, is immune to crits, has fast healing and faster healing and so forth.

Anyone with two flaws could start with Wedded to History and Troll-Blooded.

Tokuhara
2011-01-15, 09:00 PM
Dorian Grey had damage reduction and regeneration? :smallconfused:

Well, you won't get those, but I remember a book or another had a minor (I think) artifact called Grey Mirror or Grey Portrait (I forget). It does away aging (and, assumedly, the outward signs of 'orrible moral corruption).

Elans actually age, though they never die of old age, and they have a form of damage resistance in Elan Resilience. Imp. Elan Resilience (CPsi feat) gets you to 4 damage per 1 PP negation. Slap on Psion and you can take some hits.

A wedded to history changeling warshaper doesn't age, is immune to crits, has fast healing and faster healing and so forth.

Anyone with two flaws could start with Wedded to History and Troll-Blooded.

I do enjoy those feats... Dunno where I could find them, but maybe a Wedded to History Troll-Blooded Elan would be a fairly interesting debanere guy with a cruel sense of humor. The sophistocated psychopath is my favorite archetype

Khatoblepas
2011-01-15, 09:00 PM
Human as the base race, Trollblooded for Regeneration 1, then cast the spell that gives you the Fire subtype. Then, wear a ring of acid immunity. A voila, you can be hurt, but you can't be killed.

There is also something called the Grey Portrait in Champions of Ruin, which is basically Dorian Grey's portrait. Immunity to level drain, ability drain/damage, and aging, but if it is destroyed, you get all the negative levels, ability drain, and age all at once.

That is Dorian Grey's immortality. He could actually be hurt, if I recall correctly - but his immortality and youth was in spite of spiritual corruption, not physical corruption. It was never something inherent, it could always be taken away. And that, I think is more important than having high damage reduction and fast healing - the fatal flaw.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-01-15, 09:01 PM
well, fast healing wouldnt do it . You would need regeneration, which in D&D doesnt do anything for your lifespan anyway. What you are looking for is Troll Blooded (regen) and possibly Wedded to History I think it was called?

I know there is a guide to immortality floating around somewhere on the internet, but it isnt what you want, I imagine. there are several ways to do it, and you dont really get any badass powers for living forever.

EDIT: Wow, I type slow. Ninja'd three times in a row.

Greenish
2011-01-15, 09:05 PM
I do enjoy those feats... Dunno where I could find them, but maybe a Wedded to History Troll-Blooded Elan would be a fairly interesting debanere guy with a cruel sense of humor. The sophistocated psychopath is my favorite archetypeTroll-Blooded is a regional feat from Dragon #319 (and requires toughness). Wedded to History is from Dragon #354.

Darrin
2011-01-15, 11:16 PM
This has bugged me: How can a "human" obtain the ability to shake free of mortality? I realise that wish/true wish can accomplish this, but is this the only way?

Details on the Gray Portrait can be found here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20030613a). The version in Champions of Ruin is a lot more detailed, but has the same effect.

There are a couple dozen ways to become effectively immortal in D&D. Polymorph any object. Multiple reincarnation spells. Pun-pun. None of them really have any practical purpose within the typical scope of a D&D campaign.

Are you trying to live an indiscriminately long time, or just become immune to all damage/death/etc? The IKEA Tarrasque (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20160) or Emerald Legion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101587) might be informative reading if you're looking for tips on becoming immune to all forms of damage.

gorfnab
2011-01-16, 01:08 AM
The Thief of Life prestige class (FoE) has a different way to gain immortality that may work for you. Basically you have to slay one creature per year with HD equal to or greater than the Thief of Life.

Tokuhara
2011-01-16, 11:33 AM
The Thief of Life prestige class (FoE) has a different way to gain immortality that may work for you. Basically you have to slay one creature per year with HD equal to or greater than the Thief of Life.

Which the average adventurer can accomplish