PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Adventures for the Discerning DM

Yottagray
2011-01-15, 09:57 PM
I am looking for a 4th edition adventure to run for my players. I have run the first two published WOTC adventures and both my players and I have found them to be very disappointing. We have played lots of 3.5e and my players have enjoyed it immensely especially, the Red Hand of Doom, which they recall with particular fondness.

Thus far the 4e campaigns I have run or read have been little more than glorified dungeon crawls. I would like to find something that is as lengthy as RHoD, which spanned 6 3.5e character levels, the equivalent of 8 or 9 4e levels. I have seen no published 4e adventures anywhere close to that long.

My characters want something that makes them feel like their decisions are important and shape the story, something that I thought the RHoD did very well. I think this is secondary to a well written, well rounded adventure, but important nonetheless. I do wish that I could just write my own adventure, but who has time for that!

Cealocanth
2011-01-15, 11:08 PM
Do what I do, run a basic crawl, and make a lead that connects to some mystery. Then see what the PCs do and change the next crawl to match. lather rinse repeat.

Yottagray
2011-01-15, 11:19 PM
I can do that, but it lacks any importance. My players can tell that they are just doing crawls. They want something big to look forward to, something larger than themselves happening.

Good writing is good too, because then at least it feels like you (the PC) is part of something real and important. Nobody has played such a premade adventure?

incandescent
2011-01-16, 01:35 AM
I've never used any of their published adventures. The last time I looked for one was for an epic level one shot that never got off the ground, and it was really just a dungeon crawl as well. I think most of the adventures are built to supplement an ongoing story or the leg of a larger adventure.

If you want to stick to the official adventure modules, I suggest stringing a few of them together inside some sort of narrative (switching out creature types and reusing NPC's and whatnot) until you come up with something comparable to what you want.

Katana_Geldar
2011-01-16, 01:41 AM
The super adventures are bigger and have an overarching plot, but still require you to fill in stuff. Like The Tomb of Horrors, it says it takes you from 10-22, but there's big gaps in it.

Ason
2011-01-16, 02:08 AM
If you want a way to browse a lot of adventure modules cheaply, check out the articles at the official Wizards of the Coast website (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Archive.aspx?sort=category&category=dungeon) (I already sorted the articles to make it easy for you). If you look for the ones whose "Category" is labeled "Adventure Path" or "Adventures" (should be the first few pages), you'll see that some do not have the subscriber only logo and are thus open for the public to use. Then, you can just go through the entire website's list of adventures and find a large array of modules varied in length and level.

WotC has opened them up to those who are not subscribers, so I do not see why they would object to you using them for free. It's cheap, legal and efficient.

gurban
2011-01-16, 09:42 PM
War of The Burning Sky. I played a lot of it. Super Fun,
http://www.enworld.org/index.php?page=wotbs