PDA

View Full Version : Azure City New Year

NegativeFifteen
2011-01-16, 12:28 AM
This has been bugging me for a little while, how much would they have to pay you to work on the one night where every restaurant is free? Or am I just over-thinking it.

CletusMusashi
2011-01-16, 12:34 AM
Those that eat out are still expected to remember that Tipping is not a city some mythical land called China.
So if you need money bad, you work, and earn instead of spending. Also, working that night gives you an excuse to dodge relatives, inlaws, etc, and still sneak out after your shift and party a little bit before going home and pretending that you were stuck at work until dawn.

mucat
2011-01-16, 12:41 AM
The workers all looked happy enough (except when dealing directly with Belkar), so they must be pulling serious overtime. And good tips too -- just because the meal is free doesn't mean you don't tip your waiters. In fact, I imagine people are extra generous on that night.

Ninja Waitress confirms that in this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0563.html), where she mentions that she paid for a whole semester's worth of shuriken with the proceeds from that one shift.

(Of course, you can't actually see her or hear her say that, because y'know, ninja.)

factotum
2011-01-16, 03:10 AM
This has been bugging me for a little while, how much would they have to pay you to work on the one night where every restaurant is free? Or am I just over-thinking it.

Literally? Enough to buy a meal plus some more for my trouble (over and above my normal pay for doing the job, of course), because that would then put me in the same situation as someone who got the free meal, wouldn't it?

NerfTW
2011-01-16, 12:30 PM
Probably the same amount they pay people in the real world to work on nights like that. Time and a half or double pay, or they expect to make a killing in tips.

People do work on New Years Eve, Thanksgiving, and Christmas in real life too.

Swordpriest
2011-01-16, 12:46 PM
If there's any resemblance to our actual past (which I'm not sure if there is), then many of the people working at the inns would be relatives of the owners. As such, it's a family business, not a chain restaurant, more than likely. In fact, the convenience store in my town is run like that -- a large extended family handles the entire operation. So, there's always someone willing to work holidays, because even if they aren't paid extra, the money the business earns is pretty much going into a common family fund, and the whole bunch prospers more as a result.

The Pilgrim
2011-01-16, 04:40 PM
The same they pay to the people that works in New Year's Eve in our world, plus a free meal ticket.

Lemonus
2011-01-16, 09:09 PM
I would guess that they get paid the same as any other night.