PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Building for Melee for the first time...advice?

DJ Ragequit
2011-01-16, 05:04 AM
I've always done two things: GM'd, or played the JoaT.

We are starting a new pathfinder game set in the Immortal Kingdoms campaign setting with this composition: Caster Cleric, 2h Barb, Wizard, and ______(me)

I'm thinking that I'd like to go melee, as I've never played a Full-BAB class, but I've no idea how to build.

The Wizard has gloves of Trapfinding (grants trapfinding as per 1st level rogue) so we don't need a Bodger or Rogue.

Looking through the pathfinder books I'm most interested in Paladin and Fighter, not so much Cavalier or Barb. I'm very attracted to the idea of "Knight in Shining Armor" or "Big Awesome Armor" (depending on your spin on it. It doesn't HAVE to be shiny)

If I go the route of fighter I think I want to become a melee-monster...and just destroy everything.

Not sure what I'd be doing as the paladin, though the Justicator (LN) and Paladin of Freedom (CG) variants are allowed.

Sources Allowed: Pathfinder CRB, APG, and the Iron Kingdoms core material.

We're starting at 4th level.

Greenish
2011-01-16, 05:24 AM
PF paladin is pretty snazzy, say with a sword & board TWF build.

Re'ozul
2011-01-16, 06:29 AM
Since you mentioned Cavalier I guess you can use the APG?
Go with a asummoner, you can get a decent melee fighter out of your eidolon and shoot arrows as yourself.

DJ Ragequit
2011-01-16, 06:32 AM
Since you mentioned Cavalier I guess you can use the APG? I made sure to mention the allowed sources near the bottom of the post.

Go with a asummoner, you can get a decent melee fighter out of your eidolon and shoot arrows as yourself.

I'm not really into pet classes, and I only ever really summoned to grant combat advantage to someone else as a bard. I'm looking for melee, not so much archery. I've looked over summoner, and seen it played...honestly it's not for me.