PDA

View Full Version : Paranoia Help

Steamsaint
2011-01-16, 10:18 AM
I know this is mainly a D&D board, but I don't know who else to turn to.

I'm planning on running a game of Paranoia in half a month's time for a large-ish group of friends, and it'll be the first time running the system for me and the first time playing for them.

So I'm looking for some suggestions on what likely suicidal tasks I can send my troubleshooters on and what tasks I might give to each person from their secret society to easily turn them on each other.

Help me, Playgrounders!

EDIT: The rulebook I have a copy of is Paranoia Troubleshooters: Black Missions

Gothmog
2011-01-16, 10:24 AM
Whatever the mission (and even managing to find the briefing room can be a mission in itself), the testing of experimental equipment is always fun (for the non-tester). I'm rather found of grenades for that : not testing them is a treason, but destroying them is also a treason. ;)

fizzybobnewt
2011-01-16, 10:24 AM
I don't think you need to be reluctant to post something non-D&D here.

Sorry, but, never having played Paranoia, I can't help much with the actual question, except that having one party member have to assassinate another is a pretty easy way to turn those two against each other.

TheCountAlucard
2011-01-16, 11:34 AM
One of the adventures I ran for Paranoia had them starring in a "reality show" as they went on their mission. They were given a set of predetermined "quirks" by the studio people that would help the audience identify with them - quirks like "war veteran," "cyborg," and "Internal Security." And to make sure they stayed in-character, the studio used various drugs and explosives. :smallcool:

Sillycomic
2011-01-16, 11:55 AM
The best mission I ever played in Paranoia was that we had to go and get uranium rods from a storage facility and bring them to a waste site.

They gave us the rods without any sort of protection... which was funny (especially since one of our characters had a quirk that he had to lick anything he touched)

Everyone had a separate mission which pretty much was, "whatever group you are a part of wants these rods, so you need to steal them away from your party."

Plus there should be a random rebel group that wants the rods as well.

Demonweave
2011-01-16, 12:05 PM
Something that means any possible outcome results in being a traitor is always good. The way I see it with Paranoia is if it is always a lose-lose situation then you're on to a good idea.

GreatWyrmGold
2011-01-16, 02:18 PM
I know this is mainly a D&D board, but I don't know who else to turn to.

I'm planning on running a game of Paranoia in half a month's time for a large-ish group of friends, and it'll be the first time running the system for me and the first time playing for them.

So I'm looking for some suggestions on what likely suicidal tasks I can send my troubleshooters on and what tasks I might give to each person from their secret society to easily turn them on each other.

Help me, Playgrounders!

EDIT: The rulebook I have a copy of is Paranoia Troubleshooters: Black Missions

Anything involving traitors/experimental equipment/monsters/mutants/bots/secret societies/hapless citizens/malfunctions/The Computer/each other/Alpha Complex. More specifically, think of what would happen if...
1.) R&D tried to make a space program without having any idea of what space really is...
2.) A commie Ultraviolet needed security and was being investigated, thereby implicating his bodyguards of treason...
3.) A High Programmer tried to get The Computer to do something that goes against the wishes of another HP, causing a contradictory mission...

...and the PCs are caught in it.

Or simply give each character a bit of evidence of another character's treason and put them in a room together.

Kyouhen
2011-01-16, 02:32 PM
There was a mission, can't remember what site it was on, that was posted in another thread somewhere on this forum. The mission was simple, all the Troubleshooters have to do is deliver a letter within a time limit. There's no obstacles or anything to stop them, just a nice walk down a few hallways to deliver the letter.

The catch? Secret missions. One character needs to steal the letter and replace it with a fake, another character needs to destroy the letter completely, another one needs to kill one of the other characters and yet another needs to protect one of the other characters because someone in the group is going to kill him. (Note that, of course, those last two don't have to focus on the same character to be protected/saved. Much more fun when you think someone's trying to kill the person you're protecting when nobody actually cares.)

Katana_Geldar
2011-01-16, 03:12 PM
Or simply give each character a bit of evidence of another character's treason and put them in a room together.

This is an official mission: Treason in Word and Deed.

Kurald Galain
2011-01-16, 03:20 PM
A simple way is to pick your favorite movie, give that plot to the troubleshooters, and watch them mangle it.

For example, have you seen The Social Network? Okay, so this clone Zucker-B-ERG has created something called Clonebook, and he wants to get all of Alpha Complex addicted to sharing their status updates. His rival in HRV sector, Winkle-V-OSS, is unhappy with this developments and hires the troubleshooters to steal the source code and terminate Zucker. Go from there, while The Computer mandates that the team posts a status update on Clonebook at the most inconvenient moments. Easy as pi.

Demonweave
2011-01-16, 04:08 PM
It is actually very easy to come up with plots for Paranoia. Give them all a reason to screw each other over, then sit back and relax whilst they do it.

Katana_Geldar
2011-01-16, 07:41 PM
A simple way is to pick your favorite movie, give that plot to the troubleshooters, and watch them mangle it.

I recently mixed together 2001, Alien, Event Horizon and Capricorn One for a Paranoia mission IN SPACE!