PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Nature Monk Build Help?

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-01-16, 12:47 PM
I'm not very familiar with Pathfinder but my DM is starting a Pathfinder campaign. I've been enchanted by the idea or a Snake in Monkey's Shadow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_in_the_Monkey's_Shadow)meets Kiba Inuzuka (http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Kiba_Inuzuka). In essentce what I'm looking for is a Monk who bases his fighting style off of animals and draws strength from nature, maybe with some minor shapeshifting. With this in mind, I've been toying with a Ranger/Monk or Druid/Monk build.
Ive been leaning towards Druid, focused on Wild Shape due to the party's current lack of divine spellcasters and no real nature based character's yet. This leaves me, however, with no real fighting power and a complete lack of Monk abilities or feel. I get a similar issue with lack of Monk progression if I go the Ranger route.
My stats are pretty good, so nothing is really out of question. The DM has been very flexible in allowing 3.5 content, but I would like to stick with Pathfinder as much as possible.

Thanks.

agentnone
2011-01-16, 01:02 PM
Not a bad idea. I personally would take a completely different route. Since you said the party lacks any sort of divine caster, I would go Cleric/Monk. And with Cleric, take the Plant domain as one of the two you can choose from. It gives you the ability to deal extra lethal damage to unarmed attacks, and later in levels (8th I believe) gives you thorn armor that deals damage to anyone attacking you with natural weapons, meaning you can grapple them and deal the damage. Their use is based off of Wisdom and activating both is a Free Action. As for the other domain, it's up to you, but Strength domain isn't a bad one. And since Cleric and Monk both use Wisdom, and there's no more a restriction to multiclassing as a Monk, it's something to think about. Granted, I only have the Core Rulebook, GM Guide and Bestiary, so I'm sure there might be other things in the other books worth looking at.

Edit:Though by taking the Cleric/Monk path, you can't really get Wild Shape. Though the Strength domian gives you the Enlarge Person domain spell. Which is awesome if you double that up with the thorn armor and grapple attacks.

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-01-16, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the advice agentone. I was under the impression, though, that Plant was one fo the domains a Druid could gain.
I'm not horribly attached to Wild Shape. What I'm really trying to figure out is a way to keep my Monk class abilities from becoming moot. I'd like to stay as an unarmed fighter that doesn't wear armor (I think it works well with the attunement to nature) but it's difficult to balane it with other class options. If I go Druid/Monk I am very much likely to take more levels in Druid and lose any real ability to fight unarmed and without armor, but I don't want to ditch the idea simply because it is challenging to work out.

agentnone
2011-01-16, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the advice agentone. I was under the impression, though, that Plant was one fo the domains a Druid could gain.

Your impression is correct. Though since you're worried of taking too many levels in Druid, that's another reason to look at Cleric. Plus you get 2 domains right off the bat, instead of just one. You can also get a lot of self buff spells from the Cleric spell list that are also on the Druid spell list, like Bear's Endurance and Bless. On top of that, sacrificing spells to heal yourself. And that healing surge thing is nice. Or, you could go Neutral or Evil and to the Harming Surge instead. Nothing wrong with taking Druid though, but if you alternate levels, it'll take you awhile to get to Wild Shape. Plus, if you really need to wear armor in a last ditch effort, the option for Medium armor is there if you need it. In fact, I like the idea of a Cleric/Monk. Might have to use that for a BBEG in my up-coming campaign.

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-01-16, 02:05 PM
I may go with Cleric instead of Druid then, cause the attuned-ness to nature is all fluff that can work with a Cleric as well. I'm still in a pinch when it comes to unarmed/unarmored comabt though. I never meant for my character to be a spell-thrower and even then, without armor and any decent BAB, I'm left very vulnerable on the battlefield.

agentnone
2011-01-16, 02:14 PM
As a Monk, your Wisdom modifier is an added bonus to your AC. So you should be fine. Just alternate Cleric and Monk. Or take a level of Cleric every 3rd character level. And for an added kick, make it a Half-Elf. Sure, you lose a free Feat, but you're also immune to Charm spells and whatnot now too. And you can add +2 to any attribute you choose. Just a thought.

Now I'm off to craft to my own baddy using this idea. Good luck.

grarrrg
2011-01-16, 05:21 PM
*monk/multiclass, blah blah blah*

Ok, Monks so far are getting NO love in Pathfinder.
Of the "alternate" Monk (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk)s llisted on the pfsrd, none of them really help the "natural/wildshape/divine" idea.

Ranger (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger) seems decent if you use the "Shapeshifter" variation, you pick your bonus feats from the "natural weapon" style, and at 3rd level you can choose a form, Bear seems the best, it gives +4 to Str, and reduces your speed by 10 feet, which as a Monk doesn't matter as you have speed to spare.
Other reasons for going Ranger are better Hit dice, better bab, and LOTS of skill points

Druid (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/druid) is best served going "Bear Shaman" variant, you can have a Bear companion, or a Domain, as your Druid level will be low, I'd recommend the Domain. Of the ones to pick from Protection and Strength seem the best. Protection grants a saving throw bonus, and can get you the spells Shield and Barkskin. Strength grants you the spells Enlarge Person and Bull's Strength.
A Bear Druid also gains Totem Transformation, which can grant +2 natural armor. And Wildshape apprears at level 6, with a +2 'druid level' bonus so long as you shape into a Bear.

Long story short, Ranger has more passive benefits, Druid has more options.

As far as Race, you can't go wrong with either Human or Dwarf.
Human is good for the standard reasons, and Dwarves make good Monks due to +2 Con, +2 Wis, -2 Cha, and they aren't hampered by their base movement of 20ft.
If you're multi-classing fairly evenly, then Half-Elves become a good choice, because they can choose 2 favored classes.

Kamai
2011-01-16, 06:04 PM
I know you are thinking divine, but have you looked at some of the sorcerer bloodlines? There are several bloodlines that give Claws or Fangs (Abyssal, Serpentine, Draconic (probably not the best for the feel)), and then from there, choose spells like Jump, Expeditious Retreat, and Mage Armor to play into the feel that you want. You can then also take something like Pathfinder's Arcane strike to make up for the less than 3/4 BAB you're working with.

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-01-16, 09:26 PM
I spoke with my DM today and he has allowed Fist of the Forest, which was previously disallowed. Now I'm thinking of taking levels in all three: Monk, Druid & Ranger.
I'm actually thinking Shifter for my race, which my DM has also allowed.
Thoughts?

Edit: So, I wanted to stay away from Pathfinder to keep the work down for my DM, but, since he's okayed the PrC's and I'll be reduxing them for the DM (unless you guys know where I can already find them) and sending them to him for approval, my plan is currently 2 Monk (of the Four Winds)/ 9 Druid (Bear Totem)/ 3 Fist of the Forest/ 1 Ranger (Guide)/ 5 Nature's Warrior.