PDA

View Full Version : Jackie Chan: Great Actor or Greatest Actor?

Kobold-Bard
2011-01-16, 02:22 PM
What it says on the tin: is there a greater actor than Mr. Chan?

Jackie Chan singing/acting/martial-arting in Mulan. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYV4z8dZozo)

K-B

Ravens_cry
2011-01-16, 03:07 PM
Mu.
And for the same reason a submarine-airplane isn't the best idea ever. (http://davidszondy.com/future/Flight/flying_sub.htm)
The man is pretty good actor, and he has made many entertaining films, but greatest actor? Really?

Comet
2011-01-16, 03:13 PM
The man is pretty good actor, and he has made many entertaining films, but greatest actor? Really?

Hyberpole is the best friend of the lols, or so they say.

Anyway, yeah, great guy. Won't say great actor, though, because he's obviously never acting on screen. It's all real, man :smalltongue:

Talanic
2011-01-16, 03:45 PM
He's dang impressive, I'd say. Especially considering that English's not his native language.

Okay, this thread just got me to wiki him, and now I'm really impressed. I'd estimate that we get less than a third of his movies here in the States, and his philanthropic record is pretty astounding.

MammonAzrael
2011-01-16, 04:02 PM
Great all around guy, no question about it!

averagejoe
2011-01-16, 04:35 PM
Mu.
And for the same reason a submarine-airplane isn't the best idea ever. (http://davidszondy.com/future/Flight/flying_sub.htm)

I'm gonna put you down for, "Great." :smalltongue:

Ravens_cry
2011-01-16, 05:13 PM
I'm gonna put you down for, "Great." :smalltongue:
I said Mu, as in the third alternative in ternary logic.:smallsigh:

The Glyphstone
2011-01-16, 05:16 PM
Mu.

I think you mean a submacopter (http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1294).

VanBuren
2011-01-17, 12:01 AM
I said Mu, as in the third alternative in ternary logic.:smallsigh:

So "great", right?

Serpentine
2011-01-17, 12:05 AM
I think he's pretty great. Just sucks that pretty much all the roles he can get in Hollywood are "whacky" and/or "zany" bits of fluff that don't do him justice.

The Big Dice
2011-01-17, 06:06 AM
I'd say Jackie Chan is one of the most talented people ever to work in movies.

Think about it. Who else acts, fights, choreographs foghts and action scenes, performs stunts, writes, prduces, directs, sings, edits and promotes movies?

I don't know if I'd say he's a great actor, but he's certainly a better actor than he gets credit for. Go watch Crime Story or New Police Story for evidence of that. Of course, Hollywood doesn't appreciate him at all. And I think it's safe to say that he is by far the biggest movie star in the world.

Hopeless
2011-01-17, 07:43 AM
What it says on the tin: is there a greater actor than Mr. Chan?
Jackie Chan singing/acting/martial-arting in Mulan. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYV4z8dZozo)
K-B

No he is better than that!

Seriously he is!

What i want to know is what idiot put that comedian with him in Rush Hour, no offence but i really wanted to see him turn up in a Lethal Weapon movie to help the main duo against a villain from overseas after all him AND Jet Li would have made that movie so MUCH better!

Amiel
2011-01-17, 07:47 AM
A pity his roles in Hollywood mostly consist of him playing slapstick clowns.
The man is truly talented (if not a spectacular actor); he can act, sing, does his own stunts and choreography, and knows kung-fu.

Proof he can sing well (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIIb_4cSafs).

Winter_Wolf
2011-01-17, 09:47 AM
Yeah. No. Jackie Chan is many things, but a great singer he is not. He is a good actor, can do serious roles, and is an entertaining figure on the Chinese New Year specials they do in mainland.

Also, he simply will not play a bad guy role. Ever. Won't do it. I admire that he's got principles.

leakingpen
2011-01-17, 10:41 AM
No he is better than that!

Seriously he is!

What i want to know is what idiot put that comedian with him in Rush Hour, no offence but i really wanted to see him turn up in a Lethal Weapon movie to help the main duo against a villain from overseas after all him AND Jet Li would have made that movie so MUCH better!

I want to see him play the villian now and then.

averagejoe
2011-01-18, 02:18 PM
Also, he simply will not play a bad guy role. Ever. Won't do it. I admire that he's got principles.

Reminds me of evil Jackie in Jackie Chan Adventures. Most of him being evil involved him being kind of a jerk to people, and the rest involved him playing electric air guitar.

By the way, Jackie Chan Adventures was an awesome cartoon. At least the first two seasons. >.>

Blue Paladin
2011-01-19, 12:05 PM

Think about it. Who else acts, fights, choreographs f[i]ghts and action scenes, performs stunts, writes, prduces, directs, sings, edits and promotes movies?Sammo Hung.

And Jackie will gladly do whatever big brother Sammo asks :)

I also hear tell Sammo cooks like a master dim sum chef...

The Big Dice
2011-01-19, 03:44 PM
Sammo Hung.

That relationship goes both ways. And I'd say Jackie has had more global success than Sammo.

To demonstrate that, name five Jackie Chan movies, then name me five Sammo ones. If you're a fan, you can do it easily. You could even name five movies that feature both of them. If not, you're more likely to struggle with the Sammo ones.

An Enemy Spy
2011-01-22, 02:10 PM
Mu.

Mu? The legendary lost continent? Can't say I'm familiar with any of its films.

Joran
2011-01-24, 03:00 AM
Sammo Hung.

I am totally in awe of what Sammo Hung can do, moving that much mass that quickly.

What always annoyed me was that Jackie Chan was paid less money than Chris Tucker for Rush Hour 2 and 3. >_<

An Enemy Spy
2011-01-24, 06:01 PM
I am totally in awe of what Sammo Hung can do, moving that much mass that quickly.

What always annoyed me was that Jackie Chan was paid less money than Chris Tucker for Rush Hour 2 and 3. >_<

Really? Jackie Chan is the reason people watch those movies.

The Big Dice
2011-01-24, 08:25 PM
Sammo was a martial artist and acrobat before he got big. That's the difference. You can see him in his early 70s prime in the opening fight in Enter the Dragon. As far as I'm aware, that was his only appearance on screen with Bruce Lee, who he was friends with.

Traab
2011-01-24, 10:32 PM

Think about it. Who else acts, fights, choreographs foghts and action scenes, performs stunts, writes, prduces, directs, sings, edits and promotes movies?

I don't know if I'd say he's a great actor, but he's certainly a better actor than he gets credit for. Go watch Crime Story or New Police Story for evidence of that. Of course, Hollywood doesn't appreciate him at all. And I think it's safe to say that he is by far the biggest movie star in the world.

I think bruce lee did pretty much all of that. Except for singing. Jackie chan is probably pretty huge overall, but his american career makes him a joke. He cant be anything but a silly ass kicker. His biggest draw for me is his excellent use of props in his fights. He has all the regular moves, then he busts out into a junkyard and is suddenly using everything in existence in his fight to kick ass with.

kpenguin
2011-01-24, 10:52 PM
His biggest draw for me is his excellent use of props in his fights. He has all the regular moves, then he busts out into a junkyard and is suddenly using everything in existence in his fight to kick ass with.

Indeed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcvXqLrgf0k) :smallbiggrin:

Jahkaivah
2011-01-24, 11:13 PM
Name five things that aren't Jackie Chan.

Traab
2011-01-24, 11:16 PM

My mother, my father, my sister, my aunt, my grandmother.

The Glyphstone
2011-01-24, 11:19 PM

In the clip? Table, chair, jacket, box, dragon head, broom, ladder.

Drunken Master levels for sure right there.

Jahkaivah
2011-01-24, 11:39 PM
My mother, my father, my sister, my aunt, my grandmother.

It turns out you were adopted, Jackie Chan is your father.

In the clip? Table, chair, jacket, box, dragon head, broom, ladder.

All actually Jackie Chan.

averagejoe
2011-01-25, 12:14 AM
It turns out you were adopted, Jackie Chan is your father.

All actually Jackie Chan.

I in every possible way agree with and endorse this.

The Big Dice
2011-01-25, 09:09 AM
I think bruce lee did pretty much all of that. Except for singing.
The key difference between Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan is, Bruce was a martial artist with a degree in philosophy who saw movies as a way of getting his ideas on martial arts to the widest audience possible. He was also a child actor. So the situation when he came along with The Big Boss was kind of like having Macauley Culkin vanish for years, then come back starring in The Matrix.

Jackie Chan on the other hand, was literally sold to a Beijing Opera school at the age of 10. He was trained as an acrobat and entertainer in an environment where he could literally be beaten to death by his sifu. He's also not particularly studied in the martial arts. I believe he's only taken formal lessons in a couple of styles, having learned everything else literally on movie sets.

Turalisj
2011-01-25, 09:24 AM

Who is Chris Tucker?

Traab
2011-01-25, 10:32 AM
The key difference between Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan is, Bruce was a martial artist with a degree in philosophy who saw movies as a way of getting his ideas on martial arts to the widest audience possible. He was also a child actor. So the situation when he came along with The Big Boss was kind of like having Macauley Culkin vanish for years, then come back starring in The Matrix.

Jackie Chan on the other hand, was literally sold to a Beijing Opera school at the age of 10. He was trained as an acrobat and entertainer in an environment where he could literally be beaten to death by his sifu. He's also not particularly studied in the martial arts. I believe he's only taken formal lessons in a couple of styles, having learned everything else literally on movie sets.

Oh I know all about jackies past, hes done really well for himself considering he basically had no real choice in the matter. Honestly, the part i like the most about bruce lee is that he always seemed to put the artist in the phrase martial artist. He didnt NEED flashy gimmicks or frantic prop work to put on one hell of a show, he could make the most impressive fight scenes possible entirely out of real moves that would have actually worked outside of a movie set. I dont see jackies acrobatics saving his ass if he ever got jumped by a dozen thugs. But then again, I dont see jackie ever being in a situation where he WOULD get attacked by thugs, the guy is a freaking teddy bear.

averagejoe
2011-01-25, 02:41 PM
Who is Chris Tucker?

Chris Tucker (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK8ednS0skQ).

But then again, I dont see jackie ever being in a situation where he WOULD get attacked by thugs, the guy is a freaking teddy bear.

Which, one could argue, is a kind of strength.

Joran
2011-01-25, 02:44 PM
I dont see jackies acrobatics saving his ass if he ever got jumped by a dozen thugs. But then again, I dont see jackie ever being in a situation where he WOULD get attacked by thugs, the guy is a freaking teddy bear.

Jackie Chan would do his patented triple jump in a corner over the wall trick and run away.

Also, here's Jackie Chan in a fight with a dozen thugs. The best scene in Shanghai Knights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDvJi72vPMo

P.S. I'd hazard a guess and say that every martial arts instructor known to mankind would advocate running away from a fight with a dozen thugs, even Bruce Lee.

Turalisj
2011-01-25, 02:47 PM
Chris Tucker (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK8ednS0skQ).

It was a joke implying that I try not to take notice of when he is in a movie.

P.S. I'd hazard a guess and say that every martial arts instructor known to mankind would advocate running away from a fight with a dozen thugs, even Bruce Lee.

Depends on what kind of martial art we're talking about and if you have a weapon with you or not.

averagejoe
2011-01-25, 04:57 PM
Also, here's Jackie Chan in a fight with a dozen thugs. The best scene in Shanghai Knights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDvJi72vPMo

Pretty bad movie, but it did have some hilarious and inventive fight sequences.

It was a joke implying that I try not to take notice of when he is in a movie.

I regret nothing.

Joran
2011-01-25, 05:01 PM
Pretty bad movie, but it did have some hilarious and inventive fight sequences.

It wasn't a good movie, but I especially loved the sword fight in Big Ben. Holy carp, you don't often see Jackie Chan get his butt handed to him like that.

Falgorn
2011-01-25, 07:16 PM
A question: Why so much hate for Chris Tucker? I found him really funny in the Rush Hour movies. One and two, to be specific.
Not so much the third, but the third really wasn't good, it my eyes.

Traab
2011-01-25, 07:33 PM
Hes a loud, squeaky voiced bugger. That said, i dont mind him much.

Joran
2011-01-25, 07:59 PM
Hes a loud, squeaky voiced bugger. That said, i dont mind him much.

Pretty much this. His voice grates and I found him unfunny in Rush Hour 2.

averagejoe
2011-01-26, 03:06 AM
It wasn't a good movie, but I especially loved the sword fight in Big Ben. Holy carp, you don't often see Jackie Chan get his butt handed to him like that.

While maybe not an actual, "Fight," I really enjoyed the bit where Jackie was making the evil minions hold the breakable artifacts in order to fend them off. Usually stuff like that is annoying to me, but in this case it somehow just worked. It's been too long since I've seen it for me to say why, though.

The Big Dice
2011-01-26, 09:08 AM

A huge part of Jackie's on screen persona is, he gets his butt handed to him. Bruce Lee was the invincible one. Jackie takes a beating and runs away a lot more.

Turalisj
2011-01-26, 09:30 AM
Jackie Chan has weapon focus (every ****ing thing he can carry) :smalltongue:

edit: Fixed :P

John Cribati
2011-01-26, 09:32 AM
Jackie Chan has weapon focus (every f***ing thing that he can carry) :smalltongue:

FTFY:smallsmile:

Turalisj
2011-01-26, 09:37 AM
And what he can't carry, he throws in the way of foes.

Jackie Chan is an awesome actor. Probably the most recognized actor in both Asia and the US. But greatest?

I think I'd have to give Greatest Actor to Christopher Lee.

Traab
2011-01-26, 10:33 AM
A huge part of Jackie's on screen persona is, he gets his butt handed to him. Bruce Lee was the invincible one. Jackie takes a beating and runs away a lot more.

True, most of jackies fights are him running away and knocking people around when they corner him, then running some more. Drunken master has a bit of both styles. Bruce lee only ever seems to takes damage when he finally gets to the final boss. Other than that, it might as well be a film of him fighting his way through a preschool class for all the threat they are to him. lol Hows THAT for a mental image? A horde of 30+ 5-6 year olds charging bruce only to be sent flying through the air.

The Big Dice
2011-01-26, 11:23 AM
And what he can't carry, he throws in the way of foes.

Jackie Chan is an awesome actor. Probably the most recognized actor in both Asia and the US. But greatest?

I think I'd have to give Greatest Actor to Christopher Lee.
Christopher Lee isn't the greatest actor aound. Sure, he's had his moments, and he has That Voice. But he's no Anthony Hopkins or Ian Holm.

Turalisj
2011-01-26, 11:29 AM
Christopher Lee isn't the greatest actor aound. Sure, he's had his moments, and he has That Voice. But he's no Anthony Hopkins or Ian Holm.

Sorry, can't hear you. Too busy watching Saruman and Count Dooku duel it out in my head :smalltongue: :smallwink:

edit: And now Nosferatu has jumped in!

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2011-01-26, 07:33 PM
The only time I'd ever call Jackie Chan a great actor is if I died halfway through typing "greatest."

The Glyphstone
2011-01-26, 10:10 PM
The only time I'd ever call Jackie Chan a great actor is if I died halfway through typing "greatest."

technically, that'd make him a "grea" actor.:smallsmile:

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2011-01-26, 10:35 PM
Oh, certainly not. In honour of his glory, my fingers would manage one lettre, at least, after my spirit has quit this earthly body.

Traab
2011-01-27, 12:08 AM
Im not even going to ask who would win, as its obvious, but how LONG do you think it would take bruce lee in his prime, to beat jackie chan in his prime, to death in a fight? Put them in the middle of brooklyn to give jackie the chance to run and use props all he likes. :p

Kris Strife
2011-01-27, 12:11 AM
Im not even going to ask who would win, as its obvious, but how LONG do you think it would take bruce lee in his prime, to beat jackie chan in his prime, to death in a fight? Put them in the middle of brooklyn to give jackie the chance to run and use props all he likes. :p

Does Jackie have the coin sized, vibrating hole in his skull? Cause he's had that for a while I think.

Since 1987 actually.

The Big Dice
2011-01-27, 01:27 PM

About 3 seconds. Jackie was a stuntman in Fist of Fury and Enter the Dragon. In the first, he was the guy who doubled for the final villain, getting kicked 20 feet through the air across the garden. He was also one of hte people training in the courtyard. In Enter the Dragon, he was one of the many mooks and he got his neck broken by Bruce.

Turalisj
2011-01-27, 01:35 PM
and he got his neck broken by Bruce.

I guess he's recovered a bit since then, nyah?

Traab
2011-01-27, 01:38 PM
About 3 seconds. Jackie was a stuntman in Fist of Fury and Enter the Dragon. In the first, he was the guy who doubled for the final villain, getting kicked 20 feet through the air across the garden. He was also one of hte people training in the courtyard. In Enter the Dragon, he was one of the many mooks and he got his neck broken by Bruce.

Ah but remember, jackie wouldnt stand toe to toe and fight, he would basically be doing his run and prop use fighting style, so it wouldnt be quite as fast as YASA! /crunch! Im sure eventually he would get pinned and slaughtered, just wondering how long he could fend off a murderous bruce lee. Also, to the post above this one. I didnt know jackie had a hole in his head, but I doubt it matters as bruce wouldnt exactly need to exploit a specific weakness like that to win. lol

Megawizard
2011-01-27, 03:58 PM

Perhaps you mean "twisted" or "strained". Because a broken neck means your main body is paralyzed, and you'll take years to recover at best, if you can afford the super-expensive treatments. I do remember a story about Bruce Lee hiting him too hard during one of the scenes, but nothing incapacitating like a broken neck.

But yes, Jackie did tecnially fought with Bruce Lee.

And even in his movies, Jackie does advocate "Don't fight if you can avoid it". That's one of the things that makes him the greatest actor ever, that in his movies he isn't an invincible kung-fu master, but a man with his own fears and defects trying to make the best out of the crazy situations he finds himself throw in!:smallsmile:

Traab
2011-01-27, 04:30 PM
I thought they meant his character got his neck broken. I recall that happeneing quite a bit to the random mooks.

The Big Dice
2011-01-27, 05:17 PM
I thought they meant his character got his neck broken. I recall that happeneing quite a bit to the random mooks.

Indeed. And here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hu6NoRR7pg) is the clip.

Asthix
2011-01-28, 04:48 PM
Undisputable proof (http://www.videosurf.com/video/street-fighter-jackie-chan-1209628793?vlt=ffext&vlt_position=rightrail) that Jackie Chan is a good great actor! It's even a movie with Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao. I apologize to everyone after me for winning the thread.:smalltongue:

EDIT: The movie? City Hunter.

averagejoe
2011-01-28, 04:55 PM
Undisputable proof (http://www.videosurf.com/video/street-fighter-jackie-chan-1209628793?vlt=ffext&vlt_position=rightrail) that Jackie Chan is a good great actor! It's even a movie with Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao. I apologize to everyone after me for winning the thread.:smalltongue:

That is quite possibly the greatest thing I have ever seen.

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2011-01-28, 07:20 PM
That video is so totally unrealistic; Chun Li's jumps are never advantageous.:smallamused:

John Cribati
2011-01-28, 07:21 PM
That is quite possibly the greatest thing I have ever seen.
Indeed. *character limit reaching nonsense.*