PDA

View Full Version : Bounty Hunters: Bertha & Thomas

EdroGrimshell
2011-01-16, 03:44 PM
You've been travelling together for some time now, learning each others abilities as you go. You've come to a relatively small town, though it seems to have seen better times. Currently at the local inn, The Smiling Cat. There are three wanted posters on the wall, an orc called The Glutton, so named for his habit of eating those he kills, a half elf hunter that goes by Shade, preventing all from entering the forest, and a human thief with no name. All have bounties of around 500 gold pieces if dead, 1,000 if alive.

The bartender, a short and rather plump human, comes over, "What c'n'ae get f'r yah, trav'lers?" he asks, setting down a sheaf of papers that seem to be a menu. He looks nervous and distracted as he goes about his work.

LucyInTheSky
2011-01-16, 04:40 PM
Bertha doesn't bother to look at the menu but simply replies "If you have steaks, I'll take two. With potatoes. And hurry it up."

Ducklord
2011-01-16, 04:56 PM
"Oh, just bring her the whole cow. With potatoes." Thomas chuckles as he picks up the menu, and lists through it.

EdroGrimshell
2011-01-16, 05:38 PM
The first page is breakfast foods, including various types of omlette, sandwiches, and some things that must be regional favorites like coondog over salad greens in a garlic and bean sauce. The second page is the lunch menu with mainly sandwiches, steaks in different sauces, fish, poultry. The dinner menu is basically the same as the lunch menu with larger portions as well as appatizers, soups, salads, and side orders. The last page has drinks from wines, to beer, to ale, to mead, and miscillaneous drinks you've never heard of. It seems to expansive (and expensive), more like a high society restaurant menu than a slightly better than normal inn.

Ducklord
2011-01-16, 06:02 PM
"I think I'll have the roasted chicken breast. With some wine to wash it down."

Thomas takes a good look arount the inn. "Fancy menu you've got here. A bit ambitious for such a small town, no?"

EdroGrimshell
2011-01-16, 06:12 PM
"Eh? You di'n't know?" he asks, eyes slightly widened, then shakes his head, "S'rry, most pups no the to'n's fam'us for 't's food. W'got the b'st ch'f in the c'nt'y," he says before entering the back, leaving a scrap of paper stuck to the edge of the counter, barely in view.

Ducklord
2011-01-17, 04:55 AM
"So, plenty of wanted posters hanging round town, which one do we catch first? The creepy orc? The shady half-elf? Or the no-name fellow? I say we catch the no name guy. Just grab someone from the street and take him to the guards. They'll never know the difference." Thomas chuckles lightly. "They might as well put up a sign saying 'Do our yob'!" Pleased by his joke Thomas grins widely "What do you say, partner?"

LucyInTheSky
2011-01-17, 06:35 AM
"I'm not your patner. Just eat your food and take care you're not gonna be the one taken to the guards." Bertha says while looking around and thinking which one to catch first. "You're not here for your entertainment."

Ducklord
2011-01-17, 07:01 AM
"Oh, come on now Bertha, we both know you won't be giving me over to the guards. If you wanted to do so you would have done it long ago, you certainly didn't lack the opportunity. So why not be partners? You know you could use my help, you can't deny it. You would be feeding the worms in that forest if it wasn't for me!" Thomas leans back, takes a good measure of the woman and then continues "Look, let's put it like that. This orc fellow. I don't see you catching him without killing him on your own. But if we work together, we actually stand a chance of getting the bonus 500gp. So I'm willing to cut you a deal: I'll help you catch him and if we manage to get him alive, you give me a third of the reward, else you can keep it to yourself. Should be a pretty reasonable offer, methinks."

LucyInTheSky
2011-01-17, 08:55 AM
"It's never too late to get your reward, remember that. And I don't even think of sharing my prize with you or anyone. You saved my life and I am letting you go. YOUR SEPARATE WAY." Bertha turns away from the bard and waits for her steaks.

Ducklord
2011-01-17, 09:07 AM
"Nah, you'll change your mind sooner or later. That's just the woman in you talking, wishing to be courted. You may try to hide it, but she's down there somewhere, I know it!"

LucyInTheSky
2011-01-17, 09:27 AM
Bertha suddenly forgets how much she hates Thomas and starts chuckling at his joke.

Ducklord
2011-01-17, 09:30 AM
Thomas continues with his performance until the food arrives.

EdroGrimshell
2011-01-17, 11:17 AM
When the food arrives the server asks, "an't'ing ta drink?"

LucyInTheSky
2011-01-17, 12:06 PM
At the waiter's words Bertha's attention returns to her surroundings. "A mug of beer for me, please."

Ducklord
2011-01-17, 12:12 PM
"Wine will be fine, thanks. Oh, while we're at it, what's with the crazy orc hanging on the posters round town? Did he come here for the food as well?" Asks Thomas before plunging into his plate. It has been a while since he last ate real food.

EdroGrimshell
2011-01-17, 12:19 PM
"N't 'ere, but the to'n's b'n raid'd by 'im of'en f'r his 'meals,'" the bartender shivers, "'e got a few o' the l'cal smiths an' sent th' bones back, picked cl'n. 'e 'as 'ome kind o' a'l'ty that let's 'im dra' po'er from those 'e eats."

A waitress comes from the back, a mug of beer and a glass of wine in hand, setting them before you.

Ducklord
2011-01-17, 12:38 PM
"How peculiarly disgusting. But wait, does he do his raiding alone or is he with a group? And does the town guard have any idea where he's coming from?"

EdroGrimshell
2011-01-17, 12:55 PM
"Sm'll b'nd, ab't t'en'y or so, likes th' ru'ns in the no'th but moves 'ro'nd," he says, shrugging, "No'un knows hi' 'omel'nd."

Ducklord
2011-01-17, 01:41 PM
Thomas takes a break from his food and loudly proclaims "Well then, never fear, for an orc slayer is now here! She took the heads of at least one hundred of the foul savages, ten more will be barely enough to warm her up!" and points his hand towards Bertha.

EdroGrimshell
2011-01-17, 03:21 PM
"D'ble tha' y'g'un, i sa'd t'en'y, not t'n," the man says simply

Ducklord
2011-01-18, 05:46 AM
"Oh, twenty. Good, that will leave a few for me." Thomas takes a sip of his wine. "Thank you kind sir, that will be all."

Ducklord
2011-01-18, 12:37 PM
When the bartender leaves their table he turns bach to Bertha and continues "See, I found all the information needed to catch the orc before you finished your lunch. Let me help you, I'll lower my cut to a quarter of the bounty if we catch him alive!"

LucyInTheSky
2011-01-18, 05:59 PM
"Yeah, you're good at bluffing. If you are at least half as good at fighting, you might be useful. Allright, come with me." said Bertha, hoping not to regret her decision. She pushes her plate away and sets to leave.

Ducklord
2011-01-18, 06:05 PM
Thomas stuffs what was left of his chicken into his mouth, leaves a few gold pieces on the table and goes after the big woman.

LucyInTheSky
2011-01-18, 06:58 PM
When outside, Bertha takes a few deep breaths of fresh air. She looks around deciding which way to go first. "I'll go to the town guard to find out if they have some more specific informations about the orc. I want to be well prepared."

Ducklord
2011-01-19, 05:56 AM
"Good, then I'll take a walk around town to find out anything the guards may have missed. Let's meet back here at dinner time, I'll likely have a plan by then." Thomas slightly bows and takes off. He stops to question people about the raids and if there are any smiths left in town.

LucyInTheSky
2011-01-20, 03:13 AM
Bertha goes to the town guard, hoping for some answers.

EdroGrimshell
2011-01-20, 03:19 AM
ThomasYou are told a fairly good smith is still in town, the reason he's still around is he lives in the center of the town. The raids are another story, psople just won't talk about them, instead just shivering or pointing to random spots that look slightly discolored than normal.

BerthaThe town guards are currently at post, and those that are currently off duty point you towards the ruins in the north, part of an ancient town that had a bit of magic and mechanical savvy that died out for some unknown reason.

Ducklord
2011-01-20, 05:18 AM
By dinner time Tom's back at the Smiling Cat where he anxiously waits for Bertha to return.

LucyInTheSky
2011-01-20, 12:06 PM
Bertha returns when the sun is almost down. "We're going north." says shortly to Thomas when she walks toward him. "Do you have any information? Otherwise, get some sleep. I'm leaving tomorrow at dawn, meet me there or I'll go without you. I don't like wasting time."

Ducklord
2011-01-20, 12:51 PM
"Sure thing missis bos!" Thomas pauses for a second "I'll see you in the morning!" slightly bows once more and runs off to the house of the last smith left in town.

EdroGrimshell
2011-01-20, 02:24 PM
ThomasYou arrive at the blacksmith's house, a large, well-kept forge, although it doesn't look to high class. As you walk in, you see suits of armor, weapons on display, weapons with unusual qualities, and even canes that are actually rapiers. The one behind the counter is a female elf polishing a sword, she's wearing a leather apron, black hair, blue eyes, slightly tanned skin with a greyish tinge, and cord-like muscles that mark her as the smith.

She looks up, "Yo, you have any business here?" she asks, looking at you as if appraising a piece of iron ore.

Ducklord
2011-01-20, 02:49 PM
"Yes, I'm afraid I do. I have reason to believe the orc, that has been snatching smiths round town could be coming after you, since you're the only smith left." Thomas tries to look as serious as he can while he continues "That's why I tought you could need some protection and that's why I'm here!" after which he gracefully bows before the smith.

EdroGrimshell
2011-01-20, 04:20 PM
Thomas"I doubt he'll come after me, I'm to far in the town for his raids to reach, he sticks to the outer edges of town."

Ducklord
2011-01-20, 05:28 PM
"Well still, better safe than sorry! I don't charge nothing if that's what you're afraid of. I'm just after the orc."

EdroGrimshell
2011-01-24, 04:30 PM
Thomas"I'd prefer to remain here if possible, i've got a commission to finish, the duke ordered a mithglin court sword."

DC 15 Int Check (or Craft for anything involving metal) to determine what mithglin is and a DC 10 for what a court sword is.

You can also use a bardic knowledge check if you so choose

(Sorry it took me so long to update)

Ducklord
2011-01-25, 03:36 AM
"Sounds good to me!" Thomas grabs a chair and sits in it as comfortably as possible. "I'll take a quick nap in the while. Never figth bloodthirsty orcs if you're not fully rested!" After that he pulls his cap over his eyes and tries to go to sleep.