PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Variants [3.5]

MiniMoose
2011-01-16, 04:55 PM
hello, I'm trying to make a Dwarven Dragonborn of bahamut ranger. I am planning on going dual wielding, and when not on cooldown using my breath weapon (from race) using metabreath feats. My rolls are only really allowing me to have a good strength and con (all other will have +0 or -1 mods) and I was looking for a variant to get rid of spellcasting for something more melee oriented.

TL;DR: Wanna drop spellcasting for more melee on ranger.

Ravens_cry
2011-01-16, 05:00 PM
If your allowed Pathfinder material, try the Skirmisher? (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/ranger#TOC-Skirmisher)They get 'Hunters Tricks', which replace spellcasting. I used them with a ranger who used a gun, and eschewed almost all magic.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-01-16, 05:01 PM
Honestly, with rolls like that... I wouldnt play a ranger, flat out.

a.) if you dont have some dex, that sucks. you wear light armor.
b.) you dont have stats for casting, and rangers have good spells in Spell Compendium, and Sword of The Arcane Order feat is beautiful... (Champions of ruin)
c.) Spells win.

mabriss lethe
2011-01-16, 05:02 PM
perhaps a Tigerclaw focused warblade instead?

lightningcat
2011-01-16, 05:13 PM
There is a variant ranger in Complete Warrior that trades spellcasting as well as one in the Complete Champion. Either of these might work for what you want.

gbprime
2011-01-16, 05:15 PM
Well with stats like that, spellcasting is out for him anyway, so I understand dumping the casting. Take Champion of the Wild alt class from complete Champion. You give up spellcasting to get bonus feats at 4, 8, 11, and 14.

But the observation about armor is important too. With little or no dex, you want heavy armor. And that's not a ranger. Even if you multiclass, you lose combat style if you wear medium or heavy armor. With just strength and con, a 2-handed weapon makes better sense.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-01-16, 05:30 PM
Honestly, with rolls like that... I wouldnt play a ranger, flat out.

a.) if you dont have some dex, that sucks. you wear light armor.
b.) you dont have stats for casting, and rangers have good spells in Spell Compendium, and Sword of The Arcane Order feat is beautiful... (Champions of ruin)
c.) Spells win.

nitpick SotAO is in champions of Valour

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-01-16, 05:35 PM
oh, wow. I dunno why I said Champions of Ruin. I musta been thinking of Splitting Bows or some damn thing. Yeah, Champions of Valor, Sword of the Arcane Order along with Shooting Star Substitution levels. Om nom nom. Makes Rangers fun again, like in 1e and 2e. I guess Arcane casting tends to do that...

Thurbane
2011-01-16, 08:12 PM
There is a variant ranger in Complete Warrior that trades spellcasting as well as one in the Complete Champion. Either of these might work for what you want.
Ineed - from memory, the CC version is superior to CW.