PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch Blast

wayfare
2011-01-16, 06:05 PM
Is eldritch blast a standard action? I don't see anything listed in the Complete Arcane on it.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-01-16, 06:07 PM
Is eldritch blast a standard action? I don't see anything listed in the Complete Arcane on it.

Yes. The default rule is that the action cost to use something isn't listed it's a standard action for things that are SLAs and Supernatural Abilities.

Halae
2011-01-16, 06:12 PM
A quick rundown of how Invocations work

-They are Standard Actions that require somatic components unless otherwise stated
-They are at your warlock class level for Caster Level
-They are the level of spell they duplicate
-Eldritch Essence and Eldritch Shape (form? shape? I can't remember the name for some reason) invocations are made as part of the casting of eldritch blast

did I miss anything there?

wayfare
2011-01-16, 06:14 PM
so no ititeratives unless you get eldritch glaive?

MammonAzrael
2011-01-16, 06:14 PM
Eldritch Glaive makes it a full-round action. :smallsmile:

But yes, OP Standard action. And yes, no iteratives, ever. Excepting Glaive, and even then no extra attacks from Haste or anything like that.

wayfare
2011-01-16, 06:28 PM
How would it affect the class to allow a character to use rapid shot to get 2 blasts a round at -2 each.

Halae
2011-01-16, 06:36 PM
Well, forgetting that you still can't do that in RAW, it wouldn't hurt. Warlocks are effectively a class based around lasting a long time. Because of this, they don't quite have the massive power a wizard or sorcerer could pull out. essentially, take a look at how much eldritch glaive changes the game, then decide if this is balanced or not. be sure to discuss it with your GM.

nedz
2011-01-16, 06:45 PM
You can use the Eldritch Chain [Lessor] Blast Shape Invokation for multiple targets. One additional target per five levels for half damage each.

So a 10th level warlock blasts one target, with the Eldritch Chain shape applied.
If that hits: he can then target a 2nd for half damage; if that also hits he can try for a third target, again at half damage.

There are some AoE shapes at higher level also.

tyckspoon
2011-01-16, 06:49 PM
It might make them a little overpowered at very low levels, when making a touch attack is pretty unique, the damage hasn't fallen that far behind, and most people still only get 1 attack/round. Especially because it's not all that hard to get Rapid Shot at 1st level. Still, not a game-smasher by any means, and it would certainly be very helpful in keeping the Eldritch Blast relevant at higher levels when you have Rogues full-Sneak-Attacking and dedicated meleers hitting stuff with 3-highest-BAB attacks a round. If letting Rapid Shot apply gets a poor reception, maybe suggest it as a Blast Shape.. something like:

Lesser Invocation (Blast Shape)
Split Blast
You divide your Eldritch Blast into two separate rays. You can aim these at separate targets, or hit one target with both. A Split Blast deals 1d6 less damage.

(Personally, the damage reduction isn't necessary, as it's enough of a penalty just to have to spend one of your very scarce invocation slots on this, but if Rapid Shot isn't a go then 'hey, can I hit things twice as hard with no downside?' probably isn't going to be either.)

Re'ozul
2011-01-16, 07:16 PM
if you want melee, then eldritch claws (feat from some dragon magazine) is for you.
it is a free action that forms two claws which count as natural attacks.
They do your unarmed damage plus your blast as claw damage.

(can be abused with beast strike and improved natural attack)

Keinnicht
2011-01-16, 08:03 PM
if you want melee, then eldritch claws (feat from some dragon magazine) is for you.
it is a free action that forms two claws which count as natural attacks.
They do your unarmed damage plus your blast as claw damage.

(can be abused with beast strike and improved natural attack)

I'm not sure improved natural attack can be applied to natural weapons you gain because of magic.

Halae
2011-01-16, 08:09 PM
I'm not sure improved natural attack can be applied to natural weapons you gain because of magic.

maybe not, but you could simply increase the damage of the natural weapon you're using to attack with, though (Eldritch claws simply add the blast damage onto yor natural attacks)

true_shinken
2011-01-16, 08:41 PM

Well, RAW it works. It even does seem like it's intended.

MeeposFire
2011-01-16, 08:55 PM
Well imp natural attack certainly works with unarmed strike and so passively buffs eldritch claws anyway (at least with a monk).

true_shinken
2011-01-16, 09:01 PM
Well imp natural attack certainly works with unarmed strike and so passively buffs eldritch claws anyway (at least with a monk).

But applying it to the claws is the cheesy thing. In the melee warlock thread (check it in my sig!), someone Re'ozul made a build that got 24d6 claw damage... at medium size. Bite your heart out, King of Smack. Link for the build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10165672&postcount=121).
Re'ozul does really on strongheart vest, but you can easily swap 'incarnum class' for Binder in his build stub and come up with the same result. Oh - that's without Legacy Cheddar.

MeeposFire
2011-01-16, 09:10 PM
Yes I should have been more clear I meant that imp natural attack is still useful even if you are not allowed (by RAW or DM or whatever) to put it on the claw.