PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Assassin Swordsage build please critique

Dusk Eclipse
2011-01-16, 08:33 PM
Ok here is the yet another build that I came up with, for the playground's critique.

Longtooth Shifter

Trap-finding Sublime Way Wildshape Ranger 1/Hit and Run Fighter 1/ Unarmed Swordsage 8
Stats: Rolled (post racial adjustment)
Str: 17 (17) <- 8th level bonus here
Dex: 18 (20)
Con: 14 (14)
Int 18 (16)
Wis: 16 (16
Cha: 11 (9) <- 4th level bonus here

Feat Progression
1 ------ Need something
Fighter: Two-weapon Fighting
3 Adaptive Style
6 Shadow Blade
9 Craven (DM let my qualify with assassin's stance

Overal Stats
HD 8d8+28+1d10 (average 69)
BAB: +8/+3 (fractional bab)
Saves +5/+7/+5 (fractional saves and the +2 bonus for being a good save only count once)
IL 9
Maneuvers Known: 13
Maneuvers Readied: 7
Stances Known: 3
AC 10 + 5(Dex)+3 (Wis)+Armor

I intend to ask my DM to change access to Stone Dragon and gain access to Steel Serpent (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161258).

Will focus on Diamond Mind and Tiger Claw, with a side dish of Shadow Hand and steel serpent and some smithereens from desert wind (flashing sun and the ____Blade chain, using the replace maneuver mechanic to have the highest level maneuver to increase my damage output).

And thanks to my group's houserule about variant chaining, I have pounce :smallcool:

Planned Maneuvers per level: I need to recheck my IL when taking them; but I don't have much time to do it now.:smallredface:
Sublime Way Ranger
1st
Distracting Ember
Shadow Blade Technique
Sudden Leap

Stances
Flames' Blessing (Not that useful, more to satisfy some maneuvers pre-requisites)

Swordsage
1st:
[S]Burning Blade Re-trained into Flashing Sun at level 6 (4th swordsage)
Moment of the Perfect Mind
Sapphire Nightmare Blade Retrained into Insightful Strike at level 7 (5th swordsage)
Clinging Shadow Strike Retrained into Shadow Jaunt at level 9 (7th Swordsage)
Wolf Fang Strike
Sting of the Rattler (Steel Serpent) Retrained into Sight Piercing Fang at level 8 (6th swordsage)

2nd level
Cloak of Deception
Rabid Wolf Strike
Sting of the Asp Retrained into Sting of the Adder at level 10 (8th Swordsage)
Flashing Sun (Changed from Burning Blade)
Shadow Jaunt (Changed from Shadow Blade Technique)

3rd level
Insightful Strike (Changed from Sapphire Nightmare Blade)
Shadow Garrote
Soaring Raptor Strike
Weakening Venom Prana

4th level
Bounding Assault
Searing Blade
Sting of the Adder [Steel Serpent] [Steel Serpent](Changed from Sting of the Rattler)

Stances
Level 1
Poisoner's Stance
Hunter's Sense

Level 3
Assassin's Stance

The core idea of this character is to be a mobile melee combatant, that will be a pain in the ass for enemies to deal; I have so many maneuvers and tricks up my proverbial sleeve that I will have something to do every turn, and also serve as a good skill monkey.

As far magic items I have some ideas

Weapons:
Will ask if I keying an Necklace of Natural Weapons to unarmed strike means that I have to pay only enhancements for 1 or if I want it to affect my two fists I have to double the price as if enchanting two claws.
The enhancements I have in mind are a +1 Diamond Mind Mage Bane (ComArc version)

I am also thinking on a +1 skilful Assassination Gnomish Quickrazor, to deliver my poisons (which will have a respectable DC due assassination enhancement and poisoner's stance (1/2 initiator level as a perfection bonus to the DC and due the wording of the stance I don't have to remain in the stance after applying the poison).

Misc Items, I think I'll get a periat of wisdom +2, gloves of the balanced hand/+2 Dex, Novice Belt of Stone Dragon (Mountain Hammer)/+2 Str, survial pouch (indispensable item IMO) Handy Haversack (ditto), anklets of tanslocation. Adamantine Dagger. Burglar's Vest /Resistance +1

So what do you think?

Edit: Made some changes as per some comments.

Vin Robinson
2011-01-17, 02:15 AM
You can't be a Thug and a Hit and Run Fighter. They trade the same thing. Medium/Heavy armor bonuses. Thug also makes it so you don't gain your Fight Bonus feat at 1st level, so you wouldn't have TWF.

You can't be a Sublime Way Ranger and a Wild Shape Ranger. They both trade the same thing. Combat Style feats.

Battle Jump is only useful if you can reliably hit DC40 Jump Checks.

Assassin's Stance -never- grants you sneak attack as a class feature, so you aren't eligible for Craven.

There are also a few problems with you selecting a few maneuvers without meeting the initiator level.

Tytalus
2011-01-17, 05:52 AM
You can't be a Thug and a Hit and Run Fighter. They trade the same thing. Medium/Heavy armor bonuses. Thug also makes it so you don't gain your Fight Bonus feat at 1st level, so you wouldn't have TWF.

You can't be a Sublime Way Ranger and a Wild Shape Ranger. They both trade the same thing. Combat Style feats.

Assassin's Stance -never- grants you sneak attack as a class feature, so you aren't eligible for Craven.

There are also a few problems with you selecting a few maneuvers without meeting the initiator level.

Aye. More comments:

- Shadow Blade doesn't work with gnomish quickrazor.
- Even if you would qualify for Craven with Assassin's Stance (you don't), you still can't take the Craven feat at level ECL 6, since you won't get Assassin's Stance until ECL7.
- You probably intended to take the Sneak Attack fighter variant instead of the Thug variant (for sneak attack --> craven). Thug and Hit-and-Run variants are mutually exclusive. And both Thug and Sneak Attack fighter make you give up your bonus feat, so if you take either, you won't get that bonus feat you've chosen.
- The Hit-and-Run fighter variant is listed as an alternative class feature for Drow, so you might want to clarify with your DM if you can take it as a shifter at all.
- What's the point of being a shifter?
- Your HP should be 1D10+8D8+28, not 9d8+28+1d10. You are counting your first level twice (once maximized, once as a die roll).

Dusk Eclipse
2011-01-17, 05:16 PM
Sorry for the delay, you replied in the middle of the night, and I just came home from school.

Damn.. I always forgot that... gues I'll go with Hit and Run fighter, skills will suffer but I need the feat

My DM was kind enough to let me do that; guess I should have mentioned that in the OP

You are right.. and right now I would only have a jump bonus of +20 (13 ranks+2 (racial) + 5 (dex using those really cheap boots in the mic). a ring of jumping +10 would be far to expensive for my tastes. What feat do you suggest I can substitute?

Talked with the DM and he says it is ok, but unless I am in assassin stance, craven won't be active

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check again

Aye. More comments:

- Shadow Blade doesn't work with gnomish quickrazor.
Didn't intend to use the quick razor for Shadow Blade, I just wanted it for the visual and for delivering poisons.
- Even if you would qualify for Craven with Assassin's Stance (you don't), you still can't take the Craven feat at level ECL 6, since you won't get Assassin's Stance until ECL7.
DM let me took craven with Assassin's stance, and I can easily switch craven and shadow blade I can take child of shadows or Island of blades in the meantime
- You probably intended to take the Sneak Attack fighter variant instead of the Thug variant (for sneak attack --> craven). Thug and Hit-and-Run variants are mutually exclusive. And both Thug and Sneak Attack fighter make you give up your bonus feat, so if you take either, you won't get that bonus feat you've chosen.
No, I wanted hit and run to have the feat. a bonus to initiative and the tasty dex to damage when atcking a flat footed enemy; thug was intended to alleviate a bit the loss of skill points, I forgot that it was mutually exclusive with HaR and that it lost the bonus feat
- The Hit-and-Run fighter variant is listed as an alternative class feature for Drow, so you might want to clarify with your DM if you can take it as a shifter at all.
Already checked it with the DM, he said ok because the fluff for shifters implies that they are also fond on hit and run tactics
- What's the point of being a shifter?
Flavour mostly, and that maybe I will try to ask my DM if I can rebuild my current shifter rogue into this build
- Your HP should be 1D10+8D8+28, not 9d8+28+1d10. You are counting your first level twice (once maximized, once as a die roll).
Thanks for the heads up I didn't notice that

Will edit the OP in bit to reflect some changes that were brought to my attention.

Thanks foe the comments and advice.