Humans: Any
Elves: Upper English
Half-Elves: American
Orcs: Cockney
Half-Orcs: Light Cockney
Gnomes: Welsh
Halflings: Irish
Dwarves: Scottish

What do you guys do/what other races have you determined accents for?

Katana_Geldar
2011-01-16, 08:40 PM
I like to think the language Draconic sounds rather French.

Ragitsu
2011-01-16, 08:42 PM
And then there are the "elemental" languages:

Aquan, Auran, Ingan and Terran.

gorfnab
2011-01-16, 08:42 PM
My DM at college had Undercommon as Ebonics and Drow Sign Language as basically Gang type hands gestures and sign.

Rasman
2011-01-16, 10:11 PM

What do you guys do/what other races have you determined accents for?

I wasn't aware that "American" was an accent. I work in a hotel and get people from all over the place, the def don't all sound the same. For Half-Elves I think you need to pick a specific region, like the the North East or particularly New England since Elves are an Upper English then that would be the closest to a "Lower English" I can think of. BUT, if you're basing this off of Gareth Jameson's videos on Video Jug, then it's a pretty good fit, even though I disagree with him on the fact that there's a "general American accent."

I had to look up Cockney and I REALLY can't see and Orc like that, they'd have to be a much rougher accent like a native Russian speaking English or possible a Geordie accent.

I can sort of see Welsh fitting a Gnome, but I'm not sure it's perfect.

I like to think the language Draconic sounds rather French.

I'd...rather not...

When I think Draconic, I can't help but flash back to Dragonheart and think of Sean Connery.

true_shinken
2011-01-16, 10:28 PM
For me, draconic = latin.

Telonius
2011-01-16, 10:31 PM
Elves: Massachusetts/Mayor Quimby/pick a Kennedy
Dwarves: usually Scottish, though one of my players is really winning me over to Bears fan/Great Lakes dialect.
Halflings: Northern England, Newcastle-ish
Orcs: Tarzan
Half-Orcs: Tarzan or street slang
Gnomes: Hard to describe. Generally bubbly with higher-than-usual vocal pitch. Kind of like a cross between Curly from the Three Stooges (minus the New York accent) and Wembley from Fraggle Rock. Alternately, if they're being played slightly more dangerous and sinister, German (Bavarian dialect).
Drow: Sinister-sounding fake British accent

Kaje
2011-01-16, 10:36 PM
I wasn't aware that "American" was an accent. I work in a hotel and get people from all over the place, the def don't all sound the same.Ask a Scot and they'd probably say the same about Scottish. Ask a Welshman and they'll likely say the same about Welsh.

Zonugal
2011-01-16, 10:46 PM
I think for me it tends to be:

Elves: French
Half-Elf: Cajun or French Canadian
Orcs & Half-Orcs: Serbian
Halfling: Romanian/Gypsy
Gnome: Dutch
Draconic: Latin/Greek

mucat
2011-01-16, 10:55 PM
I wasn't aware that "American" was an accent. I work in a hotel and get people from all over the place, the def don't all sound the same. For Half-Elves I think you need to pick a specific region

Someone from outside North America is still going to hear that as a distinct "American accent" with regional variations. In the same way, Americans think of a "British accent", but someone from the UK would say there is no such thing; just a lot of regional accents.

Half-Orc Rage
2011-01-16, 10:57 PM
Ask a Scot and they'd probably say the same about Scottish. Ask a Welshman and they'll likely say the same about Welsh.

Those are much smaller countries than the US. They might as well be different states in the US South where we talk about how people from Alabama talk different from Georgia. Most people don't get that specific.

Cheesy74
2011-01-16, 11:38 PM
Mostly my races tend to all have an american accent with simple variations on their tone or timbre. Not because I can't do accents, but because I get sick of prescribed accents for various races.

Elves sound smoother and never have a noticeably deep voice.
Half-elves sound about the same as humans.
Humans sound fairly simple. They use smaller words that you'd expect from commoners.
Dwarves sound deep and gruff.
Halflings talk fast and use slang more than most races (I occasionally slip up and briefly give them a cockney accent).
Gnomes speak in a high pitch with a large vocabulary.
Orcs and half-orcs both have very deep voices. Orcs have a noticeable growl underlying their speech while half-orcs don't.

Other races are thought up on the spot, but I keep this stuff standard.

Masaioh
2011-01-17, 12:20 AM
Humans: Elizabethan English, Druids are Scottish.
Dwarves: Hybrid of Scottish/Irish with sentence structures from Gaelic.
Elves: Insidious, villainous "generic" British accent mixed with Yiddish.
Gnomes: Dutch.
Orcs: None/undecided.
Mind Flayers: "Spot of Tea/Cheerio" British, see Exile by Salvatore and Henry Hatsworth for DS. Alternatively, picture a Mind Flayer wearing a top hat and monocle.
Half-Fiend races: Russian.
(No Halflings in my setting)

Ravens_cry
2011-01-17, 12:29 AM
High Elves: High Class British Nasally tones.
Wood Elves: Flutey, Irish kind of sounds.
Half Orcs: If raised by humans, whatever the humans of the area speak, but with a more guttural, lispy sound. If raised by orcs, guttural, harsh, with a lot of spitting. I was told it sounded 'German'.
Half Elves: Gentle Mid Atlantic.
Gnomes: Yiddish/ New York
Scottish: Dwarven.
Halflings: Piping Cockney and/or Irish.

Coidzor
2011-01-17, 02:17 AM
I wasn't aware that "American" was an accent.

When non-Americans say "American" they generally mean "Midwestern" like our television announcers and Newspeople, Californian/Valleyspeak, or Northeastern... whatever the term is.

I'd...rather not...

When I think Draconic, I can't help but flash back to Dragonheart and think of Sean Connery.

I see Draconic as a combination of Latin and the Old Words/Eldritch Speak/Lovecraftian myself. And I just can't grok the idea of summoning Cthulhu with French pronunciation.

Dacia Brabant
2011-01-17, 02:42 AM
Drow: Acadians
Elves: Mainers
Half-Elves: Bostonians
Humans: New Yorkers
Half-Orcs: New Jerseyans
Halflings: West Virginians
Gnomes: Michiganders (not UP)
Dwarves: Scottish. It's in their contracts.

Rasman
2011-01-17, 05:32 AM
When non-Americans say "American" they generally mean "Midwestern" like our television announcers and Newspeople, Californian/Valleyspeak, or Northeastern... whatever the term is.

I see Draconic as a combination of Latin and the Old Words/Eldritch Speak/Lovecraftian myself. And I just can't grok the idea of summoning Cthulhu with French pronunciation.

I actually do like the Latin idea for Draconic, BUT...Latin really isn't an accent since it's a dead language, so I guess we'd have to sub Italian or Greek for that, but same difference, I guess.

Cthulhu is SO French, especially when Optimus Prime has him in a headlock.

The problem with an "American Accent" is that there really are a LOT because of the size of the country. I break them down something like this...

Yankee, Southern, DEEP South, Texan, Floridian Yankee (This is primarily a mix of a New England "Yankee" or Pennsylvania Dutch Accent and Ontario Canadian, especially during the Winter Months), Cajun, Valley Speak, LA, GEOOOORga, Amish, New Yorker, New "Jorsee", Mid Western "Corn is Interesting" (Had a rather interesting conversation with a man that "accidentally" called the hotel from Montana), Native American (there are WAY too many of these, but they're a conversation all on their own), White Boy Who Thinks He's Black Because He's From Detroit (You probably know one and he's not necessarily from Detroit), I talk like I'm Canadian but I'm actually from Buffalo (or is it just that Canadians like moving to Buffalo?), North Western (people from Seattle are particularly strong with one), and Northern Virginian (Because they're afraid they sound like they're from South West Virginia) and that's all I got, but that's just from the ones I've personally encountered or from easily recognizable TV troupes.

And before anyone has a conniption, I know Yankee isn't the politically correct term, but you are what you are and you've probably called people from my Region Hicks or Hillbillies or Rednecks and I'd have to say I agree with you because Stereotypes are true.

Eldan
2011-01-17, 05:52 AM
Well, I'd say that basically all characters have a slight Swiss accent when I DM :smalltongue:

Not the horribly strong Swiss accent we seem to get in movies (especially German TV). Though I know a lot of people who have that one when talking English. It's funny.

But then, I can barely tell the difference between "kinda English", "sounds Scottish" and "probably American", so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

Gnorman
2011-01-17, 06:36 AM
Seattleites ain't got no accent - we're the champions of non-regional diction.

Rasman
2011-01-17, 06:37 AM
Seattleites ain't got no accent - we're the champions of non-regional diction.

You kinda just proved that you have an accent.

Gnorman
2011-01-17, 06:47 AM
You kinda just proved that you have an accent.

... you can hear my accent when I'm typing?

Ravens_cry
2011-01-17, 06:47 AM
Nice, but what is a Latin accent? We didn't exactly have voice recorders back then, unless someone has a time machine they aren't telling me about.:smallmad:

Amiel
2011-01-17, 07:15 AM
Drow would have an even snootier upper-class RP accent than elves. Their accents would practically drip with congealed class distinctions and their own inherent superiority.

Ragitsu
2011-01-17, 07:16 AM
I can picture Talenta Halflings sounding Australian.

Fortuna
2011-01-17, 07:19 AM

Same here. I routinely prepare short Latin texts pre-game, and when I'm feeling inspired sometimes in-game, to simulate draconic.

Nice, but what is a Latin accent? We didn't exactly have voice recorders back then, unless someone has a time machine they aren't telling me about.:smallmad:

This is a trickier question. Of course, what I usually do for native draconic speakers is abandon any semblance of an actual accent and make it either hissing or guttural, depending.

Amiel
2011-01-17, 07:22 AM
I can picture Talenta Halflings sounding Australian.

Do you see them talking like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlDXZywedvc)?

Ragitsu
2011-01-17, 07:23 AM
Do you see them talking like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlDXZywedvc)?

Mr. Irwin wasn't the first example of an Aussie accent that came to mind.

Coidzor
2011-01-17, 07:28 AM
Mr. Irwin wasn't the first example of an Aussie accent that came to mind.

But they tame and hunt dinosrawrs! And Steve was famous for wrassling 'diles. So I can see some people making a connection there, especially since some consider them to more or less be surviving dinosaurs.

Eldan
2011-01-17, 08:18 AM
Same here. I routinely prepare short Latin texts pre-game, and when I'm feeling inspired sometimes in-game, to simulate draconic.

I just use the Lorem Ipsum Generator I found on the web somewhere. None of my players speak Latin anyway, and it's good enough.

true_shinken
2011-01-17, 08:26 AM

Fun fact: latin is not a dead language. It's the official language of the Vatican. However, you end up with a italian accent. So... yah.

Coidzor
2011-01-17, 08:29 AM

I think the accent most commonly featured in ominous latin chanting. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OminousLatinChanting) Whichever one that is.

Using "ain't" is generally considered a regionalism if nothing else. And often rolled into associations with certain accents.

TheMeMan
2011-01-17, 09:07 AM

Well, the use of the word "aint" is a strong indicator of a regional dialect, which in turn assumes an accent. That said, you most certainly do have an accent. Everyone does. It's the nature of languages. Every form of a given language arose from some regional variation of the given language, and is in some way accented differently. Just because you don't think you have one doesn't mean you don't, as everyone in the world believes they are speaking the "correct" way. Consider that for a moment. To a Brit, you most certainly have an accent and they speak the unaccented version. To you, it is quite the opposite.

Summation: You have an accent.

Gnorman
2011-01-17, 09:07 AM
Using "ain't" is generally considered a regionalism if nothing else. And often rolled into associations with certain accents.

But certainly not that of someone from the Pacific Northwest. Besides, it's a typed affectation - "ain't got no accent" is a ridiculous double negative, only done for comedic effect.

Well, the use of the word "aint" is a strong indicator of a regional dialect, which in turn assumes an accent. That said, you most certainly do have an accent. Everyone does. It's the nature of languages. Every form of a given language arose from some regional variation of the given language, and is in some way accented differently. Just because you don't think you have one doesn't mean you don't, as everyone in the world believes they are speaking the "correct" way. Consider that for a moment. To a Brit, you most certainly have an accent and they speak the unaccented version. To you, it is quite the opposite.

Summation: You have an accent.

I address the "ain't" point above. Don't take typing for an indicator of how I speak - it's not associated.

Glibness aside, I'm not saying that I don't have an accent to a non-American. What I am saying is that out of all the regions in the United States, the Pacific Northwest is the one most noted for its lack of a regional accent.

Coidzor
2011-01-17, 09:10 AM
Not saying I don't have an accent to a non-American. What I am saying is that out of all the regions in the United States, the Pacific Northwest is the one most noted for its lack of a regional accent.

I'd always heard it was the Midwest, hence the whole bit about Newscasters and Stephen Colbert purposely learning it.

And indeed, via the nature of things, being noted for not having an apparent accent would be an accent anyway.

Gnorman
2011-01-17, 09:11 AM
I'd always heard it was the Midwest, hence the whole bit about Newscasters and Stephen Colbert purposely learning it.

Given that Seattle was mostly settled by German and Scandinavian immigrants from the Upper Midwest, it's a natural extrapolation. But there's still a distinctive "Midwest" accent, at the very least when you're talking about Minnesota/Dakota nice.

We may have an accent - we just have the least regionally-distinct one. There's nothing distinctive about it, except for maybe the caught-cot merger.

Coidzor
2011-01-17, 09:13 AM
Given that Seattle was mostly settled by German and Scandinavian immigrants from the Upper Midwest, it's a natural extrapolation. But there's still a distinctive "Midwest" accent, at the very least when you're talking about Minnesota/Dakota nice.

Minnesotans have their own accent that is not "Midwestern," hence why they're specifically singled out by Canadians for comedic purposes in their humor. And the Dakotas aren't even IN the Midwest as far as I've ever seen it laid out.

Gnorman
2011-01-17, 09:15 AM
Minnesotans have their own accent that is not "Midwestern," hence why they're specifically singled out by Canadians for comedic purposes in their humor. And the Dakotas aren't even IN the Midwest as far as I've ever seen it laid out.

Upper Midwest generally refers to the Great Lakes/Minnesota/Dakota region, at least in the way that I've heard it defined.

Man I don't know why I'm getting defensive about this. I shouldn't post while drinking. Fuggedaboutit.

Coidzor
2011-01-17, 09:23 AM
Upper Midwest generally refers to the Great Lakes/Minnesota/Dakota region, at least in the way that I've heard it defined.

Ahh, there you have it, "Upper Midwest," which is different from what is generically referred to as "Midwestern," which is what I've mostly seen from Michigonians, Ohioans, Illinoisians, and Iowans which is the standard one.

DisgruntledDM
2011-01-17, 10:41 AM
In one campaign, I made the drow have french accents. From Monty Python.

Rasman
2011-01-17, 03:46 PM

...or I'm standing right behind you as you type...don't turn around...I'll lose my sneak attack and surprise round if you do...

Actually, I have friends from Seattle AND friends that moved from VA to Seattle and they both say you have accents.

Ragitsu
2011-01-17, 04:08 PM
How about giving them a Canadian accent?

Combat Reflexes
2011-01-17, 04:19 PM
I don't know if anyone brought this link up yet, but this guy can do a hell of a lot of accents. It's bound to give you inspiration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dABo_DCIdpM

and:

In one campaign, I made the drow have french accents. From Monty Python.
Yay! Monty can never be overused in RPGs. My party has done every quote to death:smallbiggrin:

Vknight
2011-01-17, 05:48 PM
Orc's accent is that of the 'Muppets Swedish Chef'
Half-Orcs have a combination this & southern drawl
Dragons are deep melodious Russian
Humans can have any accent
Dwarves are Scottish or Irish
Halfling- Nav'i

Ravens_cry
2011-01-17, 05:52 PM
How about giving them a Canadian accent?
I think more Hobitty halflings would be good to give stereotypical Canadian accent, with all manner of aboots and eh's.

Vknight
2011-01-17, 06:35 PM
Nah that does not feel right. It could fit some other race but not Halflings.

Ravens_cry
2011-01-17, 06:40 PM
Nah that does not feel right. It could fit some other race but not Halflings.
Each to their own. That or an Oop North accent fits Hobbits perfectly in my opinion. Gnomes, Zummerzed all the way.

Vknight
2011-01-17, 06:56 PM
I can agree with the Gnomes.

I still stand by Halflings having a Nav'i style voice

Ravens_cry
2011-01-17, 07:02 PM
I can agree with the Gnomes.

I still stand by Halflings having a Nav'i style voice
Do you mean *Hey Listen"? Navi? *shudder* Halflings would be extinct before you could say Kender Kindling.

Vknight
2011-01-17, 07:05 PM
Exactly. Just like the Swedish Chef Orc.
The idea is just so ridiculous it comes around & becomes the funniest thing ever.

Ragitsu
2011-01-17, 07:07 PM
Navi (http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Navi)

Na'vi (http://james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Na%27vi)

Ravens_cry
2011-01-17, 07:18 PM
Exactly. Just like the Swedish Chef Orc.
The idea is just so ridiculous it comes around & becomes the funniest thing ever.
Until you have what are supposed to be tense negotiations between a tribe of orcs and a new human settlement made facepalm narmtastic.

Zonugal
2011-01-17, 07:26 PM
Glibness aside, I'm not saying that I don't have an accent to a non-American. What I am saying is that out of all the regions in the United States, the Pacific Northwest is the one most noted for its lack of a regional accent.

Those in the Pacific Northwest do have an accent (it is incredibly subtle). We tend to slur our t's into n's. Examples would be like "Mountains" or "Kittens."

Vknight
2011-01-17, 08:15 PM
Until you have what are supposed to be tense negotiations between a tribe of orcs and a new human settlement made facepalm narmtastic.

Narmtastic but that's the point when your party is getting beaten by a guy talking like this "Ne do du do bork bork hu be hu bork bork torte oup."
On another note only one player dislikes it he is the guy playing a half-orc.

LibraryOgre
2011-01-17, 09:17 PM

We've gone with Dwarves having "Norsky" accents... the kind you'll hear in Minnesota, with some trending more towards Norwegian/Swedish accents.

For drow, we've gone with Australian... since they're from Down Under and all.

Vknight
2011-01-17, 09:19 PM
No. No Drow do not sound like Crocodile Dundee, or Steve Irwin even in a silly campaign you'd be unable to handle the comedy.

Dacia Brabant
2011-01-17, 10:33 PM
For drow, we've gone with Australian... since they're from Down Under and all.

Drow aren't from Down Under, they're from Down East.

And I don't think anyone's going to get that joke. :smalltongue:

GenericGuy
2011-01-17, 10:50 PM
Humans: many because of cultural diversity
Elves: Persian
Orcs: Kenyan
Dwarves: Russian
Halflings: Louisianan/stereotypical southern drawl
Ogre: just stupid

Ragitsu
2011-01-17, 11:03 PM
Elves with an Arabic accent. Interesting...

Vknight
2011-01-17, 11:55 PM
I'm seeing the Sultan from Aladdin as an elf now thanks

GenericGuy
2011-01-18, 01:14 AM
I'm seeing the Sultan from Aladdin as an elf now thanks

No with that beard he’s definitely a dwarf:smalltongue:.

funny enough though when I described a female elf noble she did ended up sounding a lot like jasmine:smallbiggrin:.

Vknight
2011-01-18, 01:19 AM
That or an Elf who drank a potion of hair growth.

Coidzor
2011-01-18, 03:32 AM
That or an Elf who drank a potion of hair growth.

Poppycock! Elves can't get beards that full even with magical assistance.

Kinsmarck
2011-01-18, 04:42 AM
Elves: Soft, Northern English

Half Elves: Same as humans or elves, depending on which group they were raised with

Drow: German

Draconic: Unique accent with rolled r's, emphasized consonants, and deep vowel phonemes.

Gnomes: Energetic Irish

Dwarves: The staple, Scottish

Duergar: Russian

Orcs: Krug-speech or gravely Scottish, depending on intelligence level

Halflings: New Yorker or Cajun

Ragitsu
2011-01-18, 05:34 AM
How about the Genasi? Aasimars? Tieflings?

Darkfire
2011-01-18, 05:53 AM
Elves: Soft, Northern English
Could you narrow that down a little? UK regional accents (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_accents_of_English#Britain).

For some reason, the thought of elves with a Yorkshire accent amuses me greatly but I would have expected most people to opt for Queen's English (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Received_Pronunciation) over a northern dialect.

AtomicKitKat
2011-01-18, 11:00 AM
I remember an older thread about this. We had "Russian" for Orcs and Dwarves. Austrian might work for Orcs too.

I believe I mentioned how to speak Aquan/Auran/Ignan/Terran in that thread too. Let's see if I can remember.

Aquan=lots of gurgling, blubbering sounds.
Auran=extremely light, rapid-fire, slightly high-voiced, speech, with trailing exhalations at the end.
Ignan=lots of crackling sounds, possibly Germanic sounding, with all the CH sounds(like clearing the throat).
Terran=slow, baritonic, with long pauses between, and that RRRRR sound like a creaking door(hard to describe this, it's like where you slowly exhale, while releasing vibrations).

Elven=stereotype polite China man(with lots of nature references).(darned filter blocking man from China as a single word)

Ragitsu
2011-01-18, 04:53 PM
Oh yeah, the three most common accents for dwarves are: Scottish, German, and Russian.

Volthawk
2011-01-18, 05:11 PM
Oh yeah, the three most common accents for dwarves are: Scottish, German, and Russian.

Huh, never thought of Russian dwarves, personally.

randomhero00
2011-01-18, 05:16 PM
I think of elves as an australian accent. Probably because its one of my favorites :D It can sound snooty and arrogant and still be pretty and likable.

Does anyone know how the old celts and nords sounded? Like thousands of years ago or whatever.

Ravens_cry
2011-01-18, 05:35 PM
I am making them Babylonian. The beards man, the beards. But since I don't know what that sounded like, I am using Sallah from Raiders of the Lost Ark as the basis voice wise.

Ragitsu
2011-01-18, 05:53 PM
I am making them Babylonian.

You could also go the Jewish route.

The beards man, the beards. But since I don't know what that sounded like, I am using Sallah from Raiders of the Lost Ark as the basis voice wise.

This is a little humorous, considering Sallah was played by John Rhys-Davies, who would then go on to play Gimli the dwarf in the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy.

Ravens_cry
2011-01-18, 06:19 PM
You could also go the Jewish route.
Way to easy to go into what looks like Antisemetism. Older stereotypical racist depictions of Jews often have large noses and curly beards. Dwarves typically have big noses and . .see what I mean? I don't want to go there.

This is a little humorous, considering Sallah was played by John Rhys-Davies, who would then go on to play Gimli the dwarf in the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy.
I know,but his voice in the older movie is rich, deep and curly as his hair, and I think that perfect for a middle eastern styled dwarven culture.

Ragitsu
2011-01-18, 06:28 PM
Way to easy to go into what looks like Antisemetism. Older stereotypical racist depictions of Jews often have large noses and curly beards. Dwarves typically have big noses and . .see what I mean? I don't want to go there.

As do quite a bit of Arabs, and a decent part of Middle Eastern culture, but you don't see many people bringing up "Anti-Semitism" in regards to the other...you guess it...Semitic people. Interesting.

Ravens_cry
2011-01-18, 06:33 PM
As do quite a bit of Arabs, and a decent part of Middle Eastern culture, but you don't see many people bringing up "Anti-Semitism" in regards to the other...you guess it...Semitic people. Interesting.
Yes,I realized once I stopped typing. :smallredface:However, it going to be based more on the Babylonians and other Sumerian civilisations, which are a long gone culture, so riffing off them is, well, better.

Ragitsu
2011-01-18, 06:39 PM
Fair enough.

And yeah, damn, I never thought of giving Fire Genasi "Cuban" accents.

LibraryOgre
2011-01-18, 06:47 PM
Actually, I tend to go with gnomes being somewhat of Jewish stereotypes. Only, instead of the old, anti-Semetic stereotypes, mine tend to be more New York Jewish stereotypes. Humor (usually gentle), a focus on knowledge and learning, with much less of a physical violence displayed. Also, it gives me a bit of license to speak quickly and ramble a bit, without being really nasty about it.

AtomicKitKat
2011-01-18, 09:58 PM

They're stout, they live hard, they have thick beards, and they like their liquor(and can hold it). About the only real-life trait they don't share is longevity(or lack thereof).:smallbiggrin:

What do people think of my previous post on Elemental accents(or I guess dialectal tics)?

Ragitsu
2011-01-18, 10:25 PM
They're stout, they live hard, they have thick beards, and they like their liquor(and can hold it). About the only real-life trait they don't share is longevity(or lack thereof).:smallbiggrin:

They're also very community oriented.

SurlySeraph
2011-01-18, 11:25 PM
Elves: Finnish, because Tolkein said so.
Half-Elf: Any, though I lean towards French
Orcs & Half-Orcs: angry German
Ogres: Austrian, like a gruntier Schwarzenegger
Halfling: Italian
Gnomes: I've always heard it as really excited New York Yiddish, but I can totally see Irish now that it's been mentioned.
Dwarves: Scottish/ Russian
Drow: either flawless Parisian French or really haughty English.

Aquan: ...Tagalog? Can't think of a better fit.
Auran: those awful breathy faux-English accents that lots of characters in Final Fantasy games have.
Ignan: Darija (Moroccan dialect of Arabic)
Terran: Houston accent (southern, but clipped and precise instead of drawling).

Celestial: Latin!
Infernal: Latin, with an emphasis on words like "irrumator" and "decimatio." Don't look up the first of those.
Abyssal: I can't think of anything unpleasant enough. Something along the lines of Tolkein's Black Speech, I guess.

Asheram
2011-01-19, 07:09 AM
I keep imagining the Dwarven language to be somewhat like Klingon.

Ragitsu
2011-01-19, 04:07 PM
Next up:

Goliaths.
Catfolk.
Raptorans.

Illumians.

GenericGuy
2011-01-19, 04:37 PM
These accents just popped into my head after reading them.

Goliath: Native American accents
Catfolk: Japanese :smallwink:
Raptorian: Indian (as in from the continent of India)
Illumians: New York Yiddish