PDA

View Full Version : Darker Than Black

Milo v3
2011-01-16, 09:08 PM
I was thinking of the Anime Darker Than Black and wondering if we of the forums could create a "Balanced" way of playing as contractors, ways of deciding on the contract, & ways of deciding the power.
Realy I was think of a "Darker Than Black" Campaign setting.

Eg. of a Character in the setting

Name: Spider
Race: Contractor.
Power: Bone Manipulation.
Renumeration: Ripping his own flesh (Using his power rips through his flesh. And this is enough to count as his renumeration)

Races:
Thier only would be three races:
- Humans
- Contractors
- Dolls

Classes:
???????????

Skills: Would be the same except thier would rules on running up walls & such.

Feats: I guess thier should be extra feats

Ect.

Owrtho
2011-01-18, 12:29 AM
Well, from what I've seen of the universe, there isn't a huge correlation in power of ability and severity of remuneration. Also, there are no cases of contractors without a remuneration, nor of the usage of the power being the remuneration. In your example contractor a better remuneration might be self mutilation. Mind it would still be accomplished through using the ability, but may also be accomplished in other ways, and likely would at times require other methods (since the bones would only need to go in and out once, if he continued using the power too much beyond that, he would require additional remuneration).

Can't say too much on what would be done for balance and the like though, nor what system may best accomplish it.

Owrtho

Milo v3
2011-01-18, 01:50 AM
No cases of contractors without a remuneration
Hei has no renumeration

nor of the usage of the power being the remuneration
Wei his renumeration is to spill blood.

But I agree that it probably should be changed to something like breaking skin.

BlkStar001
2014-02-28, 12:11 PM
Hei has no renumeration

Hei is not a contractor though.

Wei his renumeration is to spill blood.

But yes you're correct Wei's renumeration is the spilling of his own blood. It would seem "self-mutalation" when tied in with a Contractor's power use is also the renumeration.

I've used "Contractors" in a few of my campaign settings. Power granted by a devine sorce or another. A good way, I found, to keep powers from being over-powered is to base them off Spell-like abilities that certain creatures in the MM have based on their hit-dice. One of my players for instance had electricity powers like Hei:

For example: Shocker Lizard= 2 HD, Character with 2 HD had the following abilities: Stunning Shock (Su): Once per round, a shocker lizard can
deliver an electrical shock to a single opponent within 5 feet. This
attack deals 2d8 points of nonlethal damage to living opponents
(Reflex DC 12 half ). The save DC is Constitution-based.
>Then every 2 HD he gained past that he got this ability: Lethal Shock (Su): Whenever two or more shocker lizards
are within 20 feet of each other, they can work together to create
a lethal shock. This effect has a radius of 20 feet, centered on any
one contributing lizard. The shock deals 2d8 points of electricity
damage for each lizard contributing to it, to a maximum of 12d8.
A Reflex save (DC 10 + number of lizards contributing) reduces
the damage by half.
>Basically he was worth 1 extra lizard for every 2 more HD he gained. At Lvl 10 with 10 HD he was worth 5 lizards. And finally he had:
Electricity Sense (Ex): Shocker lizards automatically detect
any electrical discharges within 100 feet.

His renumeration was he had to take all the fallen enemy's weapons and stand them upright. If he did not or wasn't able to complete it he'd lose 2 Wis points a day (b/c his mind was degrading)

I know I'm a few years late but thought this could help

Milo v3
2014-03-06, 08:27 AM
I know I'm a few years late but thought this could help

Huh, must have unsubscribed from this by accident since it didn't appear in my control panel.

Either way, I guess I should show the result:
The Class (And Patrons) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14625290&postcount=11)
Spheres (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14625297&postcount=12)
Techniques (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14625305&postcount=13)
ACF's and Passive Technique Rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14625317&postcount=14)

.... I probably should finish that someday.