PDA

View Full Version : Auto-Proficient Weapons?

RndmNumGen
2011-01-16, 09:21 PM
Is there any way to make a weapon grant proficiency to it's wielder, either magically or with some other method? Right now I'm designing a double-sword, half-cold iron and half-silvered, that is supposed to lead it's wielder in a crusade against evil outsiders. Problem is, it can't lead it's wielder in a crusade if nobody can wield it properly. I suppose I could always DM-fiat it in, but I was wondering if any mechanic has been created for such a thing?

arguskos
2011-01-16, 09:23 PM
Skillful, in Complete Arcane, does it.

The-Mage-King
2011-01-16, 09:24 PM
Skillful weapon property. +2 cost, CArc. p144.

That should do it.

EDIT: Swordsage'd.

RndmNumGen
2011-01-16, 09:56 PM
Thank You :smallbiggrin:

Coidzor
2011-01-17, 02:10 AM
Also, narrower in focus, but if a creature has a bite attack natural weapon, the Mouthpick weapon property is a +1 property and the weapon can switch between forms for being wielded as a mouthpick weapon or wielded normally as with hands, and take up the bite attack's "slot." It grants proficiency, but not Cleric BAB like a skillful weapon does.

LibraryOgre
2011-01-17, 09:20 PM
Skillful weapon property. +2 cost, CArc. p144.

That should do it.

EDIT: Swordsage'd.

Wow, +2? That's huge.

The-Mage-King
2011-01-17, 10:28 PM
Wow, +2? That's huge.

But it also bumps your BAB to 3/4 HD, so... Good cost, IMO.

LibraryOgre
2011-01-18, 11:47 AM
But it also bumps your BAB to 3/4 HD, so... Good cost, IMO.

For a few classes, yes, but given that most have 3/4 or better.

Coidzor
2011-01-18, 12:16 PM
For a few classes, yes, but given that most have 3/4 or better.

And the ones that don't generally have better things to do than to rely on using weapons anyway.

Cyrion
2011-01-18, 12:27 PM
Wow, +2? That's huge.

And another indication of WOTC's rather odd fear that interesting weapons are somehow overpowered even though they only do 1d8 damage, so they must require a wasted feat to get the proficiency.

Person_Man
2011-01-18, 02:22 PM
Wow, +2? That's huge.

+2 for a free Feat (Exotic Weapon Proficiency) isn't that bad. There's also a Morphing enhancement out there somewhere that lets you change your weapon into other types of weapons. Thus is essentially gives you proficiency with all Exotic weapons (though IIRC it's a Standard Action to change from one weapon to another, limiting your in combat ability to switch. I'm not sure though - might have been some 3rd party book I read).

And for certain niche builds it's a big deal. In particular, the Incarnate is a tremendously effective tank who only has 10/20 BAB, and the Kensai can use his Instill class ability to give up to his class level in BAB to an ally, and then use the Skillful weapon to boost it back up to 3/4.

Thespianus
2011-01-18, 02:33 PM
And for certain niche builds it's a big deal. In particular, the Incarnate is a tremendously effective tank who only has 10/20 BAB, and the Kensai can use his Instill class ability to give up to his class level in BAB to an ally, and then use the Skillful weapon to boost it back up to 3/4.

This seems terribly wrong, but what about Power Attack?

I wield a Skillful weapon, sacrifice my full BAB for Power Attack, but with the Skillful enhancement, I regain a BAB of "minimum of 3/4 of my level" before making the attack? ;)

dextercorvia
2011-01-18, 03:02 PM
This seems terribly wrong, but what about Power Attack?

I wield a Skillful weapon, sacrifice my full BAB for Power Attack, but with the Skillful enhancement, I regain a BAB of "minimum of 3/4 of my level" before making the attack? ;)

On your action, before making attack rolls for a round, you may choose to subtract a number from all melee attack rolls and add the same number to all melee damage rolls. This number may not exceed your base attack bonus. The penalty on attacks and bonus on damage apply until your next turn.

You don't "give up BAB", you take a penalty on attack rolls up to your BAB.

Ravens_cry
2011-01-18, 03:36 PM
If you have Full BAB, and you use a Skillful Spiked Chain, which you don't have EWP in, do you have 3/4 or 4/4 BAB with it?

arguskos
2011-01-18, 03:39 PM
If you have Full BAB, and you use a Skillful Spiked Chain, which you don't have EWP in, do you have 3/4 or 4/4 BAB with it?
Full BAB. Non-proficiency (which is negated by Skillful anyways) doesn't reduce your BAB or anything, and Skillful reads "improves to a minimum of 3/4 BAB" not "Skillful sets your BAB to 3/4 HD".

Greenish
2011-01-18, 03:46 PM
+2 for a free Feat (Exotic Weapon Proficiency) isn't that bad. There's also a Morphing enhancement out there somewhere that lets you change your weapon into other types of weapons. Thus is essentially gives you proficiency with all Exotic weapons (though IIRC it's a Standard Action to change from one weapon to another, limiting your in combat ability to switch. I'm not sure though - might have been some 3rd party book I read).Morphing is MIC, but it can't leap the categories, ie. a light Morphin weapon could change into any other light weapon, but not to one-handed or two-handed, and so on.

If you're DM and want a similar effect cheaper, well, you could make the weapon a continuous item of Master's Touch.

Ravens_cry
2011-01-18, 03:47 PM
Full BAB. Non-proficiency (which is negated by Skillful anyways) doesn't reduce your BAB or anything, and Skillful reads "improves to a minimum of 3/4 BAB" not "Skillful sets your BAB to 3/4 HD".
Ah, thanks for clearing that up.
+2 for a feat and 1/4 more BAB? That's pretty good for a Wizard who wants to wield a weapon all Gandalf style.

Thespianus
2011-01-18, 04:14 PM
You don't "give up BAB", you take a penalty on attack rolls up to your BAB.
Indeed. Well explained.

Darrin
2011-01-18, 07:30 PM
Morphing is MIC, but it can't leap the categories, ie. a light Morphin weapon could change into any other light weapon, but not to one-handed or two-handed, and so on.

It can if you use an unawakened/lesser Sunsword (Expedition to Castle Ravenloft p. 210). Counts as a light weapon, two-handed martial, or one-handed exotic.

If you're DM and want a similar effect cheaper, well, you could make the weapon a continuous item of Master's Touch.

Wand chamber + wand of master's touch (100 GP + 750 GP) should be able to tide you over until you can afford EWP, skillful, etc.

Thurbane
2011-01-18, 08:26 PM
Granting medium BAB is handy for War Hulk, Survivor and other PrCs that don't advance BAB.