PDA

View Full Version : Benefits Based On Constitution

Elric VIII
2011-01-16, 10:30 PM
I'm wondering what I can do to make the best out of a high Constitution score. HP and one skill dependant on it is rather unimpressive. I am aware of Person_Man's great X stat to Y bonus thread, but I'm looking for things more along the lines of Spellfire (not an actual bonus, but an ability dependant on the stat).

This is for no particular character, just something I'm thinking about if I want to make a meat shield. As such, I don't mind if the suggestions come from class abilities, but it would be better if they are feats, applicable to any class, or achieved with a small dip.

Thank you.

Akal Saris
2011-01-16, 11:36 PM
In 3.5?

A Dragonfire Adept needs a high Con for his breath weapon DC, especially since he doesn't need attack rolls. You could also take Endurance and Steadfast Determination for Con to Will saves as well, though I generally wouldn't bother.

Elric VIII
2011-01-16, 11:40 PM
In 3.5?

A Dragonfire Adept needs a high Con for his breath weapon DC, especially since he doesn't need attack rolls. You could also take Endurance and Steadfast Determination for Con to Will saves as well, though I generally wouldn't bother.
Sorry, I didn't specify. I do indeed mean 3.5.

I was also thinking about using Dragonborn + breath weapon ability.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-01-16, 11:42 PM
Wasn't Beardfist, almost SAD on constitution?

Elric VIII
2011-01-16, 11:43 PM
Wasn't Beardfist, almost SAD on constitution?

Well... good point.

EDIT: I just looked over Fistbeard Beardfist. It mentions the Totemist class's soulmelds are based on Con, but is a 1-2 level dip going to give any useful abilities?

Coidzor
2011-01-17, 03:17 AM
Well... good point.

EDIT: I just looked over Fistbeard Beardfist. It mentions the Totemist class's soulmelds are based on Con, but is a 1-2 level dip going to give any useful abilities?

More natural weapons, I believe.

Xefas
2011-01-17, 03:23 AM
It mentions the Totemist class's soulmelds are based on Con, but is a 1-2 level dip going to give any useful abilities?

All Incarnum stuff is based on Con, so far as I know, so that might be a good book to look into. A few levels in Totemist can get you some good natural weapons (as Coidzor pointed out), but it can also get you some other nice things, like a ranged acid attack, some spell resistance, and a nice natural armor bonus. Not all at once, but Incarnum is flexible such that you can change up your bonuses pretty rapidly.

Zaq
2011-01-17, 03:31 AM
Technically, Incarnate DCs are based on Wisdom, but nine times out of ten, if you're an Incarnate and you're using something that gives your enemies a save, you're doing it wrong.

And yeah, let me second the DFA. I've played a CON-SAD DFA before, and it was a hell of a lot of fun.

Finally, a note about Incarnum dips: two levels in Totemist will get you the Totem Chakra, which is where the magic really happens. The DC for soulmelds that offer a saving throw is 10 + [Stat] + [Essentia]. That's it. No meldshaper level, no "chakra level" (note: no such thing exists), nothing like that. Just your stats and your essentia. And guess what? The maximum essentia capacity is based on character level, not class level. So as long as you have a source of essentia (race, feats, class, etc.), a breath weapon (for example) that you get from a Totem bind will scale just fine.

Elric VIII
2011-01-17, 10:26 AM
So, I looked over Magic of Incarnum and Dragon Magic. I think I like Totemist most for a dip, since DFA doesn't scale that well (except for Entangling Exhalation which I assume is always relevant).

Thank you for the help, although the variety of options is somewhat limited, the Totemist can do a lot.