PDA

View Full Version : House-Ruled Abilities?

aart lover
2011-01-16, 11:48 PM
ok so since the players handbook doesn't explicitly state this, i'm going to ask it here. Can a DM rule in an unorthodox special ability or background for a character if the player so chooses? I mean, of course if you're a sorcerer you're going to have some dragon in your bloodline, obviously. i'm not talking about anything like that, i mean if you wanted to, say, give your character angel wings, w/out actually making them an angel. You see where i'm going with this? There's been a long dispute amongst me and my friends, and i'd like an answer.

Boci
2011-01-16, 11:50 PM
Yes the DM can, but he should generally take care to show no favoratism and give all or none of the PCs something good based on their background.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-01-16, 11:51 PM
Technically yes, by my understanding that is what it is commonly known as Rule 0 or DM fiat; though those are usually used in areas that the rules as written (RAW) don't cover.

But in those particular cases, there are ways laid out in the books to have all that

Draconic Bloodline: Half Dragon template, draconic template, dragonblooded feat, dragonblooded races, draconic bloodline feats from dragon magazine, etc.

Angel wings: Half-celestial template, winged template.

Just to mention a few

Claudius Maximus
2011-01-17, 12:11 AM
Well the DM can do anything he wants. The question is whether he should.

If you do give a PC some special bonus based on their background, try to give the others something of similar value. Otherwise they'd have a pretty legitimate complaint.

Serpentine
2011-01-17, 12:13 AM
To summarise: Yes, the DM can do whatever they like. However, they should take care to be fair and to take into account consequences for game balance and difficulty, etc.

WarKitty
2011-01-17, 12:15 AM
It also helps if you're ok with a lot of refluffing and maybe minor changes. For example, if you want to take the dragon-blooded feats and then say you have angel wings, I'm ok with giving you the (good) subtype instead of (draconic) or something and going with that.

Demonweave
2011-01-17, 12:53 AM
I'm glad I stumbled accross this thread, I have recently started running a campaign where each of the PCs have something very unique about them.

For example one is a halfling sorcerer who is trying to unlock her true potential from her dragon heritage (End result will be the half dragon template)

Each of the PCs have "hidden potential" I just make them work for it, they have to find out what their potential is, and then work out how to unlock it.

(also removing one of their feats helped to balance it out a little)

bloodtide
2011-01-17, 02:19 AM
I'd add that you can do this....but be careful.

If you want to add little elements, try to use the rules that you already have to add elements.

If you want angel wings, give them a template or such that gives them wings.

If you just wing it....it may come back to haunt you.

AyeGill
2011-01-17, 03:17 AM
I'd add that you can do this....but be careful.

If you want to add little elements, try to use the rules that you already have to add elements.

If you want angel wings, give them a template or such that gives them wings.

If you just wing it....it may come back to haunt you.

Just... (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IncrediblyLamePun)
Ugh. :smallsigh:

KillianHawkeye
2011-01-17, 10:53 AM
No. If you try to do this, Wizards of the Coast will send their lawyers to your house with a Cease & Desist order and force you to play the game by the rules. [/sarcasm]

:smallwink:

aart lover
2011-01-17, 04:59 PM
thanks for the clarification, guys. the long-running argument can now come to an end.:smallsmile: