PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Warlock RAGE!

drawingfreak
2011-01-17, 12:43 AM
For story purposes, one of my players wants to be the good guy forced to use dark powers that are corrupting him slowly. I need a mechanical way of showing this in combat. If you have any suggestions, please post them.

Here was my idea:

Dark Rage: You gain an extra 1d4 damage of the same type to any Warlock attack power with the Arcane keyword.
At the end of each turn in which such a power was used, you make a saving throw with a +10 modifier. However, each power adds a cumulative negative modifier to the roll based on its type: At-Will -0.5, Encounter -1, and Daily -2.
If you fail the saving throw, you enter the Rage. You are considered dominated and make all attacks* against the nearest living creature within 5 squares. If you cannot make an attack action against a creature that turn, you may attempt a save to come out of the Rage.
A short rest resets the negative counter as if no At-Wills or Encounters had been used. An extended rest also resets the Daily count.
*Arcane attacks used within the Rage do not count against the base saving throw.

Seeing it in writing now...it may seem a bit confusing at first. I got it all figured out in my noggin, but if you have a simpler approach, PLEASE contribute.

Edit: Saving throw math

DC 10 vs. Roll + 10 - (1/2 AtWills used) - (Encounters Used) - (2*Dailies Used)

Zansumkai
2011-01-17, 12:53 AM
Doesn't look all that confusing really. All it is is a cumulative penalty to the domination, effectively giving the player a time limit, probably somewhere in the range of 15 attacks before they have to start sweating. I haven't run a ton of 4e combat myself, but what I have done had the players taking short rests at pretty much every opportunity, so I imagine in play you wouldn't actually see the Rage happening often (except in high tension situations where rest isn't an option.)

Hmm, well I realized I probably just reaffirmed a lot of stuff you'd figured out on your own. Well, if I think of anything to add, I'll certainly let you know. 4e doesn't get enough love around here.

drawingfreak
2011-01-18, 04:40 PM
Lucky for me, my players tend to roll low with their saves. :belkar: