PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Storm Druid Help

FelixG
2011-01-17, 05:38 AM
Hey playgrounders!

I am building a new Druid for a Pathfinder game I am part of which allows the use of 3.5 material. I have decided on going Druid into Stormlord. Starting level 1 as a human with 25 point buy Pathfinder style.

I had been torn between choosing the Weather domain or taking the feat Elemental Companion and choosing a Storm Elemental (Bestiary 2) but decided on the Weather Domain.

What I am looking for help on is good Weather/storm based spells and their locations, as well as any build advice as this is my first druid. Thanks!

Rasman
2011-01-17, 06:32 AM
Hey playgrounders!

I am building a new Druid for a Pathfinder game I am part of which allows the use of 3.5 material. I have decided on going Druid into Stormlord. Starting level 1 as a human with 25 point buy Pathfinder style.

I had been torn between choosing the Weather domain or taking the feat Elemental Companion and choosing a Storm Elemental (Bestiary 2) but decided on the Weather Domain.

What I am looking for help on is good Weather/storm based spells and their locations, as well as any build advice as this is my first druid. Thanks!

If you don't mind not being Human, might I suggest Oread, Sylph or Undine (Particularly Undine) from the Bestiary 2. If you're planning Caster Druid Undine for sure, if Wildshape then Oread.

Frostburn is a GREAT place to look for spells. Blizzards are just REALLY cold versions of Storms and that's where that spell and Avalanche come from, not to mention Blood Snow. Call Lightning is a staple from the Core book.

0-Level Spell Wise: Create Water, Purify Food and Drink fit the theme.

1st-Level Spell Wise: Endure Elements, Obscuring Mist, Animate Water (Complete Arcane), Acquatic Escape (CSc), Thunderhead (SC).

2nd-Level Spell Wise: Fog Cloud, Cloud Burst (Complete Divine), Creeping Cold (Complete Divine), Gust of Wind, Splinterbolt (SC)

3rd-Level Spell Wise: Aqueous Orb (Advanced Players Guide), Dust Storm (MIC or DR331), Updraft (SC), Sleet Storm, Weather Eye (Complete Divine), Call Lightning, Capricious Zephyr (DR314 p38), Geyser, Quench, Standing Wave(CDiv p182), Arctic Haze (Frost), Haboob (Sand).

4th-Level Spell Wise: Eye of the Hurricane(DR314 p38 or SC I believe), Arc of Lightning (Complete Arcane), Wall of Water, Ice Storm, Murderous Mist(CDiv p169), Control Water, Icelance(PGF p105), Boreal Wind (Frost), Vortex of Teeth (SC).

5th-Level Spell Wise: Downdraft(DR314 p40), Call Lightning Storm, Binding Winds(MoF p80)(CDiv p153), Serpent Storm(DR330 p71), Control Winds, Rushing Waters(Und p61), Blizzard (Frost), Call Avalanche (Frost).

6th-Level Spell Wise: Drown(Und p58), Curse of Spilt Water(DR334 p74),

7th-Level Spell Wise: Storm Tower(CDiv p182)(MoF p125), Slime Wave(CDiv p180), Control Weather, Waterspout(FR p75) (CDiv p187),

8th-Level Spell Wise: Maelstrom(FR p72) (CDiv p168), Storm of Elemental Fury(CDiv p182), Whirlwind, Stormrage(CDiv p182)(MoF p125)(SC), Frostfell (Frost).

9th-Level Spell Wise: Drown, Mass(Und p58), Tsunami(DR314 p47), Storm of Vengeance, Summon Elemental Monolith (SC), Elemental Swarm.

Those are what I would envision a Storm Druid using, hope it's helpful.

Grumman
2011-01-17, 07:09 AM
A Pandemonic Silver weapon (from Complete Warrior) combines well with the Stormlord's complete immunity to strong wind and anything it can throw at you, since spells like Control Winds and Sandstorm with a sufficiently high caster level give you tornado-strength winds on demand.

In addition to Rasman's suggestions, there's also the Raptoran from Races of the Wild. No LA, but you get +1 CL with air spells, and eventually get natural flight. Or you could look at a Lesser Mechanitrix (Races of Faerun and Fiend Folio), which would let you heal using electricity.

Akal Saris
2011-01-17, 11:42 AM
You might also look into the Stormcaster PrC from Stormwrack. It's much more focused on casting weather-based lightning & sonic spells rather than throwing javelins, and the 5th level ability is amazing.

Edit: What the hell? Stormlord is all about javelin throwing, but gets no ability to avoid the penalty/inability to throw weapons in a storm. That's really dumb...

Rasman
2011-01-17, 04:20 PM
You might also look into the Stormcaster PrC from Stormwrack. It's much more focused on casting weather-based lightning & sonic spells rather than throwing javelins, and the 5th level ability is amazing.

Edit: What the hell? Stormlord is all about javelin throwing, but gets no ability to avoid the penalty/inability to throw weapons in a storm. That's really dumb...

I haven't looked at Stormwrack in AGES...that's a really good point. It is MUCH easier for you to get into since you REALLY only need one rank in each AND you get the other requirements just from gaining levels. So after Druid 5 you can dive into Stormcaster.

Frankly, just from looking at it, you give up a spell level for a +1 DC to your Electricity, Water, Air and Sonic spells. You can still chuck Javelins if you want and you aren't impeded by it.

Thunderbolt is the TRUE terror of this class. Think of Call Lightning Storm, a Save or Stun EVERY round is just too awesome. Granted, it's a Fort Save, but we can't all target Reflex or Will.

The only downside I REALLY see is that it doesn't advance your Wildshape, but if that's not what you're worried about/want to do with it, then don't worry about it.

nedz
2011-01-17, 04:23 PM
For Stormlord you really need Quickdraw, and one of those Elven Quivers.
Longspear is the other obvious weapon choice.
I did build an interesting Stormlord based on Mystic Ranger a little while back.