PDA

View Full Version : O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay! Let's Read the Pathfinder Bestiary 2

Amiel
2011-01-17, 09:25 AM
Inspired by Rappy's and Eldan's various exceptional Let's Reads, I thought I'd pitch in and submit a Pathfinder Let's Read.

Paizo have crafted for themselves a richly nuanced multiverse populated with superlative creations, and who can say no to a Jabberwocky upon the front cover, surely indicative of a product of sterling quality.
http://paizo.com/image/product/catalog/PZO/PZO1116_500.jpeg
It didn't disappoint, and indeed features the finest production values. Everything from the illustrations to the layout in the solid tome (320 pages; OGL) is produced with an eye to detail and artistic flair.

What you'll see are some old friends and meet some new ones. And there'll be surprises aplenty.
While the book is full of an eclectic mix of monsters, Paizo make no apologies that the Bestiary 2 is heavily skewed towards outsiders.

Well, let's get started then shall we?

Achaierai

A conjoined coalescence of head and body upon stumpy vicious talons, the achairei resemble predatory stunted vultures from whose plumage constantly drips a viscous oil.
The appellation of vulture is both pejorative and descriptive. They roam the environs of Hell (and occasionally other Lower planes) scavenging on the scraps of cast-off soul detritus and preying upon weak and lost travelers. While not noticeably different from their MM iteration (save slightly advancing in power), their cowardice causes them to attack en masse in shrieking, sweeping packs.
They are fond of expelling gouts of Black Cloud, which they can do so three times per day. An attack that "rots flesh and erodes sanity".
While considerably animalistic in countenance, such a form belies their intelligence (an intelligence which they retained), and are known to use tactics and strategy to herd prey to their waiting and always eager maws.
Achairei are also supremely sadistic, they are fond of "disemboweling their targets and feasting on the hot entrails while their mortally wounded prey screams itself to death", and it is noted they derive immense pleasure from this act, since as outsiders they have no requirement to eat.

Campaign Uses: The achairei can be used as predatory stalkers, always on the periphery of vision, always shadowing and following their prey. It is advised they present a threat to mid-low parties or characters.
Their intelligence also allows for the presence of conversation and interaction though these may devolve into thoughts of violence and conflict.
Since the achairei are LE, the strong could coerce and intimidate the achairei into servitude.

Next will be the Aeons.

Eldan
2011-01-17, 09:37 AM
Interesting. Actually, the Achaierai will come up in the Planescape thread later. They don't seem noticeably different here, though I'd have to check if they have actually have any more fluff ih the Planescape version.

Rappy
2011-01-17, 10:46 AM
I was intrigued when I saw the jabberwock on the cover, but the list of content I saw seemed to make Bestiary 2 out to be "Tome of Horrors, Pathfinder conversion edition...oh, and some other stuff too".

Still, it doesn't hurt to have a second opinion, so I shall be watching this thread. :smallcool:

It's also good to hear the achaies got a makeover; they looked a bit less than foul with their gaudy parrot getups.

Eldan
2011-01-17, 01:16 PM
I loved the gaudy look of the old Achaierai. Especially their even gaudier Planescape look, where they looked like, I don't know, the four-legged evil offspring of Kiwis (shape) and some kind of red cockatoo (colour).

Why should everything evil have to look foul, after all? I think there was a thread by Serpentine about ugly good and good-looking evil. The Achaierai would be right at home there.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-01-17, 05:24 PM
You know what the best part of the bestiary 2 is? JOBBERWOCKY. Yep, they got it in there. Its afraid of vorpal swords and it is CR 23. EPIC.

Ravens_cry
2011-01-17, 05:40 PM
You know what the best part of the bestiary 2 is? JOBBERWOCKY. Yep, they got it in there. Its afraid of vorpal swords and it is CR 23. EPIC.
At last there is a use for the over priced snicker snack swords.
I chortle in my joy.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-01-17, 06:09 PM
I know! it finally gives me a reason to buy a vorpal sword (which I normally avoid as overpriced, non too good at that level weapons.... but just to roll and say...

"One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back."

- Jabberwocky
Lewis Carroll

Enix18
2011-01-17, 06:17 PM
I loved the gaudy look of the old Achaierai. Especially their even gaudier Planescape look, where they looked like, I don't know, the four-legged evil offspring of Kiwis (shape) and some kind of red cockatoo (colour).

Why should everything evil have to look fowl, after all? I think there was a thread by Serpentine about ugly good and good-looking evil. The Achaierai would be right at home there.

Fixed that for ya.

Personally, I think the creatures from famous mythology and literature were a nice addition to the Bestiary 2. And since one of my players is a huge Lewis Carol fan, I'm inevitably going to have to break out that awesome Jabberwock!

Zaydos
2011-01-17, 06:23 PM
I feel ashamed to admit I first learned about Jabberwocky through the AD&D Monstrous Compendium Annual 3.

Then again I have 2nd edition stats for the Jabberwock :smallbiggrin:

AslanCross
2011-01-17, 07:25 PM
I really, really want to buy this book.
I heard that Paizo is going to upload this book's content onto the Pathfinder SRD? Even so I still want to buy the book.

Rappy
2011-01-18, 02:54 AM
Why should everything evil have to look foul, after all? I think there was a thread by Serpentine about ugly good and good-looking evil. The Achaierai would be right at home there.
It's less the evil creature aspect and more the "evil creature that pours out insanity-producing soot" aspect. I can't imagine that'd be good for the plumage's shine.

I really, really want to buy this book.
I heard that Paizo is going to upload this book's content onto the Pathfinder SRD? Even so I still want to buy the book.
Heh, I actually have the first Pathfinder Bestiary just for the art, so don't feel too bad.

AslanCross
2011-01-18, 03:04 AM
Heh, I actually have the first Pathfinder Bestiary just for the art, so don't feel too bad.

Yeah, I want to buy them just for that. :P Just difficult to import things in this country, thanks to the Lawful Evil Customs Bureau.

Crossblade
2011-01-18, 03:04 AM
I feel ashamed to admit I first learned about Jabberwocky through the AD&D Monstrous Compendium Annual 3.

Then again I have 2nd edition stats for the Jabberwock :smallbiggrin:

I first heard about the Jabberwocky from the Muppet Show (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGCJFFxoHJ4).