PDA

View Full Version : It's too orangey for crows...(DnD 3.5)

JellyPooga
2011-01-17, 09:54 AM
"It's just for me and my dawg"

Animal Companions. What's the general consensus?

Is it better to stick with a 1st Level Animal and get the Bonus HD and abilities or are the higher level Animals better?

What Animals are preferable? Heavy hitters? Quick and maneuverable? Capable of fancy tricks?

Hit me with your knowledge, Playground.

P.S. I want advice on the Animals themselves, please, not character build advice. Cheers

Lateral
2011-01-17, 09:56 AM
FLESHRAKER DINOSAUR FLESHRAKER DINOSAUR FLESHRAKER DINOSAUR FLESHRAKER DINOSAUR FLESHRAKER DINOSAUR FLESHRAKER DINOSAUR FLESHRAKER DINOSAUR FLESHRAKER DINOSAUR FLESHRAKER DINOSAUR FLESHRAKER DINOSAUR FLESHRAKER DINOSAUR FLESHRAKER DINOSAUR FLESHRAKER DINOSAUR FLESHRAKER DINOSAUR FLESHRAKER DINOSAUR

...They're probably the best 4th level companion there is.

Coidzor
2011-01-17, 10:00 AM
Getting one of large size is generally desirable for the benefits in regards to general strength and modifiers, especially if one wants an animal companion that specializes in grappling key combatants so they can be taken out more leisurely. Or if the AC is to be used to trip very often.

General orthodoxy seems to be that the size bonuses, special abilities, and inherent higher HD of the higher level Animal Companions mostly makes up for the lack of bonus HD and special AC abilities.

The bonus HD from being an animal companion give +1 to a single stat every 4 HD, but advancing up through the advanced animal companions, well, the stats are much more greatly increased.

Greenish
2011-01-17, 10:10 AM
What Animals are preferable? Heavy hitters? Quick and maneuverable? Capable of fancy tricks?Depends on party composition, tactics, preferences, common enemies and so forth.

The usual roles for AC are scout, grappler, flanker, pouncer or mount. A druid's AC, chosen well, can fill in any of those, a ranger's is often limited to scouting and flanking. Tank of the "moving wall" type are possible with sufficiently large and tough animals.

true_shinken
2011-01-17, 10:11 AM
...They're probably the best 4th level companion there is.
Fixed that for you. :smalltongue:

ShriekingDrake
2011-01-17, 10:11 AM
Myself, for the story line, I tend to like work with animal companions as long as they survive, rather than treating them as disposable items. I find that if I can get a Fleshraker at 4th, that I'll often be able to stick with that for many levels. That would also be true of Dire Bat, at that level and Dire Eagle or Horrid Bat at 7th (or a Magebred Ghost Tiger, if your DM will allow this Five Nations creation). If you want to optimize, you can choose the animal companion that matches your sweater. Natural Bond is a great feat if you'd like to use higher level companions. I'd also recommend taking Aspect of the Wolf (first level spell) if you end up with a Large or bigger AC on the chance that you have to interact with civilized people--many of them will not feel comfortable around a Dire Grizzly.

Vangor
2011-01-17, 10:58 AM
Generally, new animal companions are better than the bonuses provided. My main use is for incapacitating foes, and size bonuses and sheer strength help significantly. Even as good as a fleshraker with leaping pounce can be, they quickly lose ground to larger companions who can more easily and often initiate and win the free grapple.

Personally use a wolf, fleshraker, giant crocodile, smilodon as they become available.

Greenish
2011-01-17, 11:12 AM
Dire Tortoise is great, you can build a cabin on top of it and go anywhere with style. Well, anywhere where a Huge tortoise fits.

Beelzebub1111
2011-01-17, 03:21 PM
Take an Ape, Give it weapon proficiency in a spiked chain when it gets its bonus HD, Laugh as everything within 20ft of the ape dies.

SPECIAL BONUS! Next feat give it a shadow hand maneuver.

Coidzor
2011-01-17, 03:48 PM
Take an Ape, Give it weapon proficiency in a spiked chain when it gets its bonus HD, Laugh as everything within 20ft of the ape dies.

SPECIAL BONUS! Next feat give it a shadow hand maneuver.

Super Special Bonus: Make it a +1 Mouthpick Spiked Chain and give it to a Tyrannosaurus, Giant Croc, Huge Viper, or Elasmosaurus. Or if you can get one to survive, a giant cephalopod.