PDA

View Full Version : Quick Psionics 3.5 Question

Doctor Acula
2011-01-17, 10:03 AM
I thought I remembered reading in the XPH that psionics could be blocked if the manifester's head was completely covered by metal then they couldn't manifest powers.

I can't seem to find this anywhere.

Does anyone know what the rule is and where I can find it?

Starbuck_II
2011-01-17, 10:08 AM
I thought I remembered reading in the XPH that psionics could be blocked if the manifester's head was completely covered by metal then they couldn't manifest powers.

I can't seem to find this anywhere.

Does anyone know what the rule is and where I can find it?

Are you thinking of Line of Sight rules? Because you can't see through metal.

B1okHead
2011-01-17, 10:08 AM
I don't remember anything like that.

Lateral
2011-01-17, 10:10 AM
That's... extremely ridiculous. I could maybe see that in one of the older editions where Psionics sucked, but not in the 3.5 rules.

sonofzeal
2011-01-17, 10:18 AM
There's no specific rule, but metal blocks both Line of Sight and Line of Effect for most powers. Target:Self would still work, but anything else likely not. Of course, same goes for a Wizard.

Doctor Acula
2011-01-17, 10:21 AM
K, i must have been mistaken. Thanks for the quick responses

Flickerdart
2011-01-17, 10:22 AM
A number of spells and powers are blocked by a thin sheet of lead; perhaps this is what you were thinking of.

Greenish
2011-01-17, 10:25 AM
A number of spells and powers are blocked by a thin sheet of lead; perhaps this is what you were thinking of.Many Divination (and thus Clairsentience) spells have that, but I can't think of any others.

KillianHawkeye
2011-01-17, 10:49 AM
Wearing a helmet or a tin foil hat definitely has no adverse effect on psionics (nor on magic, or anything else for that matter).

Greenish
2011-01-17, 11:05 AM
Wearing a helmet or a tin foil hat definitely has no adverse effect on psionics (nor on magic, or anything else for that matter).Wearing a lead-lined helmet will prevent you from reading your own thoughts. True story.

[Edit]: Meh, Detect Thoughts doesn't have that line. :smallfrown:

Claudius Maximus
2011-01-17, 11:12 AM
Get Burrowing Power, a Ring of X-ray Vision, and immunity to Con damage and you can walk around just fine with a 1 inch thick globe of iron around your head.

KillianHawkeye
2011-01-17, 11:33 AM
Get Burrowing Power, a Ring of X-ray Vision, and immunity to Con damage and you can walk around just fine with a 1 inch thick globe of iron around your head.

Wouldn't that hurt your neck after a while, though? :smallamused:

Greenish
2011-01-17, 11:53 AM
Wouldn't that hurt your neck after a while, though? :smallamused:Sometimes, sacrifices have to be made.

Keld Denar
2011-01-17, 11:59 AM
Eventually you'd become strong enough that your neck would support the weight? Then again, having a neck with the same circumferance as my thigh would probably be...no so sexy.

Then again, you're a psion...you don't need to be sexy. You can make other people THINK you're sexy. Too sexy for a metal hood around your neck...too sexy for a metal hood around your neck.

Lateral
2011-01-17, 12:00 PM
Heh. That gives me an idea for a character that uses four tower shields and a buckler strapped together to become a human phalanx, and uses spells/powers/magic items to be able to see just as well as a normal person, if not better. :smallamused:

...How would I do that? Most magical sight has a range limit.

FMArthur
2011-01-17, 12:00 PM
Acquire Hide in Plain Sight to see through your shields. While hiding behind them somehow.

Greenish
2011-01-17, 12:01 PM
Then again, having a neck with the same circumferance as my thigh would probably be...no so sexy.The cause of this problem is also the solution: if you walk everywhere with 1-inch thick globe of metal around your head, most people won't notice that you've got a thick neck.

Claudius Maximus
2011-01-17, 12:41 PM
I suddenly want to make a Doc Scratch psion.

Seriously though does the headosphere provide any actual benefits? I mean I guess you could shove a bottle of air in there...

Necroticplague
2011-01-17, 01:50 PM
I suddenly want to make a Doc Scratch psion.

Seriously though does the headosphere provide any actual benefits? I mean I guess you could shove a bottle of air in there...

A psionic variant of the tinfoil hat trick?

Shhalahr Windrider
2011-01-17, 02:13 PM
In second edition psionics, wearing a metal helmet would indeed prevent one from being able to use psionic powers. It is not the case in third edition.