PDA

View Full Version : Rome: Total War

DoomITP
2011-01-17, 02:43 PM
Now, I know most people will probably be either playing Medieval 2 or maybe Napoleon: Total War but I was wondering if there were any players on the site.

I love this game, but raising armies quickly enough to expand and have more territory than the Egyptians is pretty difficult.

My favorite factions are probably The House of Julii and The Seleucid Empire.

Gamerlord
2011-01-17, 02:55 PM
I play it every now and then. The game does have it's imbalances though (Poor,poor, Gauls)

DoomITP
2011-01-17, 03:00 PM
Actually I found it's easy to do well as the Gaul. I was able to beat the Julii pretty badly as long as I was careful. Beat them before the Marian Reforms and you should be fine.

Smiling Knight
2011-01-17, 03:29 PM
I think he meant that as the AI they always get curbstomped. Same with Seleucids and anyone else who gets in Egypt or a Roman faction's way.

DoomITP
2011-01-17, 03:30 PM
I find it hard to compete with Egypt's AI. They expand so fast, I don't even know how it's possible to raise armies that fast and still make money.

Gamerlord
2011-01-17, 05:04 PM
I find it hard to compete with Egypt's AI. They expand so fast, I don't even know how it's possible to raise armies that fast and still make money.

If it is the same as most games the AI cheats.

The_JJ
2011-01-17, 06:54 PM
Now, I know most people will probably be either playing Medieval 2 or maybe Napoleon: Total War but I was wondering if there were any players on the site.

I love this game, but raising armies quickly enough to expand and have more territory than the Egyptians is pretty difficult.

My favorite factions are probably The House of Julii and The Seleucid Empire.

Mercenaries. I'm playing a Julii game on hard. Almost all my army is mercs. It's a bit of a transport thing as well as a speed thing; I had Principes and Praetorian Cohorts around Rome and a bunch of Legionary Cavalry in Greece (suck it Brutii!) but most of the action was fought on one front by Iberian Mercs, Mercenary Warbands, and Barb Cav Mercs, and on the other, Mercenary Hoplites, Illyrians, and Cretan Archers.

I do love my Cretan Archers.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-01-17, 07:52 PM
I've never finished a campaign unmodded. The history geek in me cries at the game unmodded.