PDA

View Full Version : Small feat, important effect (PEACHit!)

Combat Reflexes
2011-01-17, 02:57 PM
My friend plays a blaster-themed Warlock and feels a bit underpowered in our party (Charger, Uberhealbot, RP Beguiler). I made this feat to give him that extra 'oomph' with his blasts.

Eldritch Augmentation
"BOOM! hahahah"
Prerequisites: Eldritch Blast +1d6, Spellcraft 4 ranks
Benefit: Your eldritch blast damage is increased by one die (from d6 to d8). This includes extra damage dice, such as from the Chasuble of Fell Power or from Brimstone Blast.

---

Is this feat too powerful? Is it worth a feat slot, or should it be an invocation? Please comment.
CR.

Kuma Kode
2011-01-17, 03:02 PM
Not really, especially not with other optimized players in the party. This averages out to just +1 damage per die. At 20th level, without any hellfire or magic item shenanigans, this is a +10 damage feat. Better than Weapon Specialization, yes, but still not overpowered. Seems decent. If I were a blaster warlock, I'd take it, but otherwise it's a feat sink, so it seems to meet that simple test.

Combat Reflexes
2011-01-17, 04:10 PM
Hm - I made a rough estimation of the blaster's damage at lvl 20:

10d6 base eldritch blast (we use the rogue's progression for eldritch blasts)
+6d6 hellfire
+2d6 chasuble
+2d6 mortalbane
x 1.5 from Empower Spell-like ability

equals about 30d6 damage/blast. Taking the feat would give you +30 damage.
When using Eldritch chain/Eldritch claws you get +60 damage / round, not to mention Eldritch Glaive.

On the other side of the balance, blasting is sub-optimal, so I don't know what to think of this feat.

---
The rest of the party is just a bit optimized, though. Note that I wrote 'charger', not 'ubercharger', and the healbot actually is actually a fixed Healer with levels in the Radiant Servant class.

ps. feel free to correct me if I missed something. I'm not that good at D&D. Or math :smallbiggrin:

Mangles
2011-02-19, 07:49 AM
10d6 base eldritch blast (we use the rogue's progression for eldritch blasts)
+6d6 hellfire
+2d6 chasuble
+2d6 mortalbane
x 1.5 from Empower Spell-like ability

Both your math and assumptions are wrong unfortunately. But using rouge progression does help

The math should go
10d6 base +2d6 chasuble +2d6 mortalbane +6d6 Hellfire = 20d6
This is the point where the hit die would change so it would now become 20d8.
This is where you now multiple it by 1.5. The result not the hit die that you roll. Yes on average it is an extra 30 damage but it is not 30d6.

That also assumes you are ok with the Mortalbane and Hellfire extra damage to be included in this feat. Some people may read it as:
10d8 base +2d8 chasuble +2d6 mortalbane +6d6 Hellfire = 12d8 +8d6.

At the moment i believe the interpretation is up to you. By RAW though I believe your player would miss out as the Hellfire specifically states you do an additional 2d6 damage per class level.

Not sure on mortalbane i don't know where it is from.

That being said. Don't screw your player. Warlocks are awesome but underpowered as blasters. Consider also letting him make iterative attacks with his blast if he has high enough BAB for it. It will help a lot even if it costs him a feat.