PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Unusual Hybrids?

Christopher K.
2011-01-17, 03:32 PM
Yesterday, my friend Levi and I were messing around with the character builder, and we got to thinking: What are some unusual hybrid combinations that seem to work?

Between the two of us, we decided to create a pair of Dragonborn Paladin|Sorceror hybrids at level 5 to pit against each other in a quick PVP one-shot. The winning hybrid(mine! :smallbiggrin:) was set up as follows:

Akra, level 5
Dragonborn, Paladin|Sorcerer
Hybrid Paladin: Hybrid Paladin Fortitude
Sorcerous Power: Sorcerous Power Strength
Hybrid Talent: Soul of the Sorcerer
Soul of the Sorcerer: Wild Soul
Dragonborn Racial Power: Dragon Breath
Dragon Breath Key Ability: Dragon Breath Strength
Dragon Breath Damage Type: Dragon Breath Fire
Birth - Among Another Race: Among Another Race (Halfling)
Background: Birth - Among Another Race (Among Another Race (Halfling))
(Long story)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 19, Con 12, Dex 10, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 19.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 16, Con 12, Dex 10, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 16.

AC: 17 Fort: 18 Reflex: 13 Will: 19
HP: 45 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 12

TRAINED SKILLS
History +8, Religion +6, Endurance +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +4, Arcana +1, Bluff +6, Diplomacy +6, Dungeoneering +3, Heal +3, Insight +3, Intimidate +8, Nature +3, Perception +3, Stealth +2, Streetwise +6, Thievery +2, Athletics +6

FEATS
Level 1: Dragonborn Frenzy
Level 2: Broken Shackles
Level 4: Hybrid Talent

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Chaos Bolt
Hybrid at-will 1: Bolstering Strike
Hybrid encounter 1: Thunder Slam
Hybrid daily 1: Cosmos Call
Hybrid utility 2: Bless Weapon
Hybrid encounter 3: Staggering Smite
Hybrid daily 5: Unrelenting Punishment

I guess what I'm putting up for discussion are the following:
-Are there any obvious ways to improve the Paladin|Sorceror hybrid (Do not suggest alternative classes as that is not the point of this question)
-What sort of unusual hybrids have you seen played effectively?

Mando Knight
2011-01-17, 03:46 PM
Dragonborn Sorcadin is actually not that unusual. Making it Wild Soul instead of Cosmic or Dragon is, however.

Why isn't it unusual? The DB Sorcadin has perfect stat synchronicity: the race grants a bonus to both classes' primary stat and main secondary stat, which are the same (primarily for a Str-paladin or Mix-paladin).

For improving it, I'd switch to Dragon Magic and use Burning Spray as the at-will instead. It grants better synergy than Wild Soul, as its effects are based off of Strength rather than Dexterity or die rolls.

Also, PvP isn't a good way of testing character builds in 4e. The encounter balance is thrown way off, and many of the things that are important to group combat become worthless (or ridiculously overpowered) in 1-on-1 play.

Christopher K.
2011-01-17, 04:04 PM
Dragonborn Sorcadin is actually not that unusual. Making it Wild Soul instead of Cosmic or Dragon is, however.

Why isn't it unusual? The DB Sorcadin has perfect stat synchronicity: the race grants a bonus to both classes' primary stat and main secondary stat, which are the same (primarily for a Str-paladin or Mix-paladin).

Huh. I was under some impression that there was something about it that didn't work, but that must've been something to do with a wizard.

For improving it, I'd switch to Dragon Magic and use Burning Spray as the at-will instead. It grants better synergy than Wild Soul, as its effects are based off of Strength rather than Dexterity or die rolls.

I see. I was mostly curious about use of Chaos Blast as an at-will because another player I regularly play with got particularly lucky using it and managed to chain it long enough to kill two fairly tough monsters.

Also, PvP isn't a good way of testing character builds in 4e. The encounter balance is thrown way off, and many of the things that are important to group combat become worthless (or ridiculously overpowered) in 1-on-1 play.

I suppose not, but at the time neither Levi nor I was aware of this. (Though it did become somewhat obvious after a three-turn victory :smalltongue:)

Erom
2011-01-17, 04:17 PM
I see. I was mostly curious about use of Chaos Blast as an at-will because another player I regularly play with got particularly lucky using it and managed to chain it long enough to kill two fairly tough monsters.
Chaos blast doesn't work like that: it can only hit a given monster once during one chain.

From a historical perspective, it's worth noting that Paladin|Sorcerer is both a common 4e hybrid and a common 3.5e build (the so-called Sorcadin). It's practically a staple of DnD at this point due to the obvious stat synergy.

Christopher K.
2011-01-17, 04:24 PM
Chaos blast doesn't work like that: it can only hit a given monster once during one chain.

From a historical perspective, it's worth noting that Paladin|Sorcerer is both a common 4e hybrid and a common 3.5e build (the so-called Sorcadin). It's practically a staple of DnD at this point due to the obvious stat synergy.

Huh. Must've been a misinterpretation, then. I could've sworn that the way it was worded, you could "bounce" it between two targets so long as you kept rolling even numbers?

Ah. See, I've missed out on that historical perspective as I'm still relatively new to the hobby, and this was the first I'd ever heard of Sorcadins.

Mando Knight
2011-01-17, 04:26 PM

Chaos Bolt doesn't work that way: it specifically states in the secondary attack phrase: "You can attack a creature only once with a single use of this power." Also, Dragonborn Dragon Soul Sorcerers have a ridiculous amount of synergy, especially when they pick Fire for their element.

Erom
2011-01-17, 04:26 PM
Well, it's a credit to your character-building chops that you correctly re-derived a known good build from first principles. Well done.

Kurald Galain
2011-01-17, 06:12 PM
-What sort of unusual hybrids have you seen played effectively?

I'd find any hybrid that's effective unusual :smalltongue:

DragonBaneDM
2011-01-17, 07:24 PM
I'd find any hybrid that's effective unusual :smalltongue:

Paladin/Warlock.

My buddy played one that worshipped Caiphon. He was untouchable defense-wise and did a ton of damage.

Invisibility and True Nemesis were nice.

Personally I enjoy Swordmage/Artificer, but I won't argue too strongly in defense of that combonation's effectiveness.

EDIT:

Oh, and Warden/Swordmage. Tank your Int, take the Aegis of Shielding and throw Utilities like Channeling Shield in there. Be happy with one at-will and you're set.