PDA

View Full Version : 3.5/Pathfinder WOW... scroll of wish is 4050 gp.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-01-17, 05:51 PM
I realized this while making a UMD rogue.... and in theory, i could cast it at level 8. I have +25 UMD (with goggles of Minute Seeing) and so all I need is a 13 or higher to cast a Caster Level 18 Wish spell.

Wow. Doesnt that strike others as a little silly? I mean, we tend to just assume that if you have the money to buy something... go for it. You can't possibly have the funds to buy anything too game breaking...

I guess we were wrong?

Ravens_cry
2011-01-17, 05:55 PM
Well, you still need the 25,000 gp diamond to go with it, so that ups the price a little. In Pathfinder, this means that is included in the price, so the scroll is now 29,050, in 3.5 this means you need the diamond when you cast it.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-01-17, 06:01 PM
well, what if the fellow who scribed the scroll has eschew materials? is that not a metamagic feat that can be applied to the scroll? a metamagic feat that doesnt change the Caster level (and therefore the price) of the scroll? in Pathfinder, ALL sorcerers start with eschew materials, so this is not a ridiculous "what if" situation here.

And, I would like to point out, that even if it is 29,000 gp, a level 8 character can still pay for that... and have 4000 gold left over. (maybe for those goggles of minute seeing)

Endarire
2011-01-17, 06:01 PM
The rules state (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#creatingScrolls) the scroll's maker provides all focuses and XP/material components.

NEO|Phyte
2011-01-17, 06:02 PM
Wait, Pathfinder Wish needs diamonds? Or was the thread originally about True Res or something.

Imperial Psycho
2011-01-17, 06:04 PM
The rules state (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#creatingScrolls) the scroll's maker provides all focuses and XP/material components.

More to the point, the pathfinder rules (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/scrolls) agree. :smalltongue:

Wait, Pathfinder Wish needs diamonds? Or was the thread originally about True Res or something.

Yes, Pathfinder wish needs diamonds. here you go. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/w/wish) LINKS FOR EVERYONE

Zherog
2011-01-17, 06:09 PM
well, what if the fellow who scribed the scroll has eschew materials? is that not a metamagic feat that can be applied to the scroll? a metamagic feat that doesnt change the Caster level (and therefore the price) of the scroll? in Pathfinder, ALL sorcerers start with eschew materials, so this is not a ridiculous "what if" situation here.

And, I would like to point out, that even if it is 29,000 gp, a level 8 character can still pay for that... and have 4000 gold left over. (maybe for those goggles of minute seeing)

In both 3.5 and PF, Eschew Materials only removes material components with a value under 1 gp.

Also, Eschew Materials is not a metamagic feat.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-01-17, 06:13 PM
Right then. 29.050 gp it is.

However, that is still within the realm of buying power for an 8th level character. In fact, with a whole party pitching, you could still have everyone decked out fairly well in the gear more appropriate fro someone of their level...

And have a wish spell.

Zaydos
2011-01-17, 06:13 PM
A 3.5 scroll of Wish costs an extra 25,000 GP due to its 5000 XP cost.

But yes an 8th level character can buy a single scroll of wish, just note that since creating a magic item has an additional XP cost not already provided a scroll of wish cannot be used to do so.

Ravens_cry
2011-01-17, 06:24 PM
Right then. 29.050 gp it is.

However, that is still within the realm of buying power for an 8th level character. In fact, with a whole party pitching, you could still have everyone decked out fairly well in the gear more appropriate fro someone of their level...

And have a wish spell.
Yes, but why would you want to? Unless you have some condition or curse that can only be removed by Wish or another spell you don't have that Wish can replicate, is it really worth the risk? DM twisting at that level could be very, very dangerous to the party.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-01-17, 06:28 PM
As long as it is within the bounds of what is recommended for the spell... usually not.

I mean, if I were the DM, I'd turn around, say it was too much power or something for such lowly souls, blah blah blah QUEST!

however ,I think many DM's will allow Wish as long as you dont ask for anything beyond what the spell states specifically that it can do, as per the Spell description.

Enix18
2011-01-17, 06:38 PM
Even if your DM ignores the core rulebook's sound advice of not allowing a character to spend more than half of their starting wealth on a single item, what's the point? If you're going to stay within the non-corruptible bounds of the Wish spell you might as well just buy a scroll for an 8th level or lower spell and pay a fraction of the price.

Endarire
2011-01-17, 06:40 PM
Wish is very expensive if you must pay full price for anything.

Souhiro
2011-01-17, 06:50 PM
Well, I'm playing a 3P Summoner who uses wands a lot, since the cleric sometimes don't come, so my summoner and the team's wands must do the healer's job.

The Summoner has a CHA of +5, and is Lvl7, so he has 7 ranks, and a +3 because it is a class skill. That's a +15.
Googles of Minute Seeing grants a +5 to Disable device, not Use Magical Device. And he could be extra-cheese, having Skill Focus and Magical Aptitude for an +5 extra, but I'm not interested in extra-cheese.

The Wish cost 25.000 GP, plus any extra: if you want to Resurrect somebody, you must pay for the diamond. So your wish scroll will cost near 30.000 GP. Sure, your rogue could read it if he isn't unlucky in his UMD roll. But your wizard can read it too, and without any risk.

And you don't want to play with a 30.000GP Bond and a torch, do you?

Besides, a Lvl-9 scroll must be HARD to find. When we lost our cleric and his body, we decided to True-Rezz him. But since we were in Cauldron City, we had to find a cleric that powerful, and convince him to True-Rez our friend. So, even if you have the cheese and the gold, you can't buy Wishes in your everyday grocery shop

tyckspoon
2011-01-17, 07:12 PM
But yes an 8th level character can buy a single scroll of wish, just note that since creating a magic item has an additional XP cost not already provided a scroll of wish cannot be used to do so.

Pathfinder Wish actually no longer has 'create wealth' as a safe-list option, either in magic items or mundane material wealth. That removes the only practical means of recouping the expense of a scroll of Wish, and means you really just have a very, very expensive panic button.

Duncan_Ruadrik
2011-01-17, 07:35 PM
right...by goggles of minute seeing, I meant a ring of UMD, as per Ring of Jumping. sorry, different items for different skills, both of which i am optimizing...

anyway, UMD is still 25. GM liked my idea, and was nice and let me buy said ring, saying that one could be made under the same rules that other, similar skill rings could be made. (now i just gotta convince him to let me buy the improved version) :smallbiggrin:

turkishproverb
2011-01-17, 07:45 PM
I love scrolls of wish. I include them in party loot, and they're stuck.

They don't want to use it, because they know it can come back to haunt them, and they don't want to sell it because 1: They won't get it's value, or even very near it, and 2: They worry what someone else might do with a wish.

AslanCross
2011-01-17, 07:49 PM
I love scrolls of wish. I include them in party loot, and they're stuck.

They don't want to use it, because they know it can come back to haunt them, and they don't want to sell it because 1: They won't get it's value, or even very near it, and 2: They worry what someone else might do with a wish.

*Yoinks this idea for an adventure hook* :smallwink:

Psyren
2011-01-17, 08:04 PM
They don't want to use it, because they know it can come back to haunt them

Why are people so afraid of the listed acceptable uses of Wish? They're pretty good, and not even the "partial fulfillment" clause applies to them.

As long as the party has its bases covered in terms of revival, disease/poison/curse removal, and transportation, hanging onto the scroll is just as dangerous as vendoring it. So just take the stat buff and move on.

Even if you use it as "Super Anyspell" - there's a ton of 8th or lower spells that are very handy to whip out for a variety of situations. Here's one (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/discernlocation.htm) that can be useful in 90% of campaigns.

Darrin
2011-01-17, 08:36 PM
Wish is very expensive if you must pay full price for anything.

Chaos Flask, Planar Handbook p. 76. Turns 100 GP into a 25000 GP diamond.

Psyren
2011-01-17, 08:44 PM
Chaos Flask, Planar Handbook p. 76. Turns 100 GP into a 25000 GP diamond.

Isn't there a rule that temporary objects can't be used as material components?

"The item so shaped persists for a number of rounds equal to the user's Wisdom score, and then dissipates into nothingness."