PDA

View Full Version : Does your equipment vanish when you cast Shapechange?

Sims
2011-01-17, 06:37 PM
What happens to your stuff? Like say I shapechange into a balor, is my ring of protection gone forever?

Keld Denar
2011-01-17, 06:42 PM
Most equipment melds into your body and becomes non-functioning when you change shape. If your new form is roughly humanoid, you could equip your swag after you shift to get it to work.

Otherwise, buying a couple of Wilding Clasps for any REALLY important gear you want to work while you Shapechange would be useful. They allow gear to be functional even while its melded into your body.

Xiander
2011-01-17, 06:57 PM
No, you stuff is not gone forever, but if you wore it while casting the spell, it will be "gone" until the spell wears of. There are exceptions, among them wilding clasps.

Tyger
2011-01-17, 06:59 PM
Yeah, if your new form is capable of using the items you have worn / held, then they stay where you can use / equip them. Only those items that can't be worn / held actually meld into your new form.

So if you start out as a humanoid, and you turn into a mindflayer, you keep everything. Turn into a dragon however, and most of (if not all of) your stuff is gone.

EDIT due to ninjas:

No, you stuff is not gone forever, but if you wore it while casting the spell, it will be "gone" until the spell wears of. There are exceptions, among them wilding clasps.

That sort of gives the wrong impression. Shapechange references Polymorph, which in turn references Alter Self. Alter Self states that:

From the SRD
When the change occurs, your equipment, if any, either remains worn or held by the new form (if it is capable of wearing or holding the item), or melds into the new form and becomes nonfunctional. When you revert to your true form, any objects previously melded into the new form reappear in the same location on your body they previously occupied and are once again functional. Any new items you wore in the assumed form and can’t wear in your normal form fall off and land at your feet; any that you could wear in either form or carry in a body part common to both forms at the time of reversion are still held in the same way. Any part of the body or piece of equipment that is separated from the whole reverts to its true form.

awa
2011-01-17, 07:16 PM
the stuff fusing with your body is for wild shape not shape change important distinction.
in fact you don't even need to be humanoid you can probably stick a belt on anything with a waist and a necklace on anything with a neck

Xiander
2011-01-17, 08:45 PM
That sort of gives the wrong impression. Shapechange references Polymorph, which in turn references Alter Self. Alter Self states that:

This is true. I made my mistake bacause i am currently playing a druid, and wild shape rules are different.