PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Pimping skill points/level

Thurbane
2011-01-17, 08:09 PM
Hey all,

Is there a guide or handbook to maximizing your skill points/level?

Say I'm running one of the base classes that only gets 2 skill points/level, and I want to boost it up. Obviously, high INT and being Human help. Feats like Nymph Kissed and Open Minded, too.

All suggestions welcomed.

Ideally, other than dipping in classes with more skill points.

- T

kestrel404
2011-01-17, 09:07 PM
You've hit all the high points.

Anything that gives a permanent Int bonus will get you more. A couple of races are worth the LA when taken to level 20, if you're willing to pay for it. Outsider, Fey and Dragon HD can each give decent skills if you're looking into interesting races.

Able Learner gets you the most bang for your buck, making the class/cross-class distinction much less important. Similarly, the Apprentice feats, Educated, and that one from Unearthed Arcana that I can never remember will all give you more options.

If you're willing to invest in a 1 level dip, Rogue gets you the most skill points and lots of class skills, while Factotum will get you almost as many and has all skills as class skills. For prestige classes, both Exemplar and Ardent Dilettante have all skills as class skills (Exemplare give more skill points, but Ardent Dilettante is really easy to qualify for), and there are a number of 8+int prestige classes.

Can't think of anything else useful. Hope that helps.

Zaq
2011-01-17, 09:13 PM
It's tricky to get more skill points without changing your class. As far as I know, human and Nymph's Kiss are pretty much the best methods, aside from just (permanently) boosting your INT. Unless you're trying to meet prereqs, though, it's not terribly hard to find ways of increasing skill checks to various degrees (depending mainly on what kind of resources you have to invest), so you can still make a competent skill-user even with a mediocre list. (Hell, the Incarnate is practically based on this principle. 2 + INT skills, a list that even Sorcerers laugh at, and they're one of the best skillmonkeys in the game, at least in the top three or four.)

Demonweave
2011-01-17, 09:13 PM
Depending on what you plan on playing, Taking a Level or two in Rogue really does have benefits for the skill points. (plus it never hurts having access to rogue skills)

Thurbane
2011-01-23, 10:18 PM
...so, that's about it?

No other tricks or tips for bagging more skill points/level?

dextercorvia
2011-01-23, 11:08 PM
An Item Familiar essentially raises your skill points per level by 1/3 if you can stand the risk of losing it.

Zaq
2011-01-23, 11:34 PM
Hmm. If you're willing to lose a single level, Uncanny Trickster has 8 + INT skills per level and gives 2/3 advancement of your existing class features. Of course, meeting the prereqs (four skills with 8 ranks each and four skill tricks) is going to be hard if you're already hurting for skill points . . .

If you tell us exactly what you're trying to do, maybe we can offer more specific advice. What specifically do you want, and what are you willing/able to invest or sacrifice?

Elfin
2011-01-23, 11:36 PM
Well, there is starting as a first level swordsage...

Thurbane
2011-01-23, 11:38 PM
It was more of a general question than for anything specific. I often find myself building characters quite lacking on skill points, where I don't really want to dip in another class if possible...just trying to find options I might have missed.

Gavinfoxx
2011-01-23, 11:41 PM
Be a Changeling, and have your very first level be that variant of Rogue that gets the extra skill points? Ask your DM if you can have Able Learner? Be a Feat Rogue and take Open Minded?