PDA

View Full Version : Ship upgrades in starwars saga....

druid91
2011-01-17, 10:36 PM
So how does someone upgrade a ship with special components?

As my player has expressed an interest in obtaining ray shields a la revenge of the sith.

KillianHawkeye
2011-01-17, 10:42 PM
The rules for this are in Starships of the Galaxy.

Basically, all stock ship models have a number of free upgrade slots called "emplacement points" (usually just 1, but some have more). You can gain additional emplacement points by sacrificing cargo capacity or removing existing systems. Some upgrade don't require emplacement points (like adding a navicomputer), but most do.

After that, it's just a matter of spending the money and making Mechanics checks.

Mando Knight
2011-01-17, 11:09 PM
As my player has expressed an interest in obtaining ray shields a la revenge of the sith.
What do you mean, "ray shields a la RotS?" The shields Anakin knocks out in the opening space battle are the standard hangar shields. If a ship's got a docking bay, it has those. They can always be set to "closed" (nothing gets in or out) or "open" (ships can get in/out, but air can't) unless knocked out.

If you mean deflector shields such as are on most combat starships (except for TIEs and a few other cheaper-by-the-trillion fighters), those are just SR (whatever) shield generators, items found in Starships of the Galaxy. If you don't have it, you ought to get it. It's probably one of the top three supplements for the game, along with Scum & Villainy and a third one which will change depending on the game and who's buying (could be Galaxy at War, usually it's the book for the campaign era, but for the DM, Threats of the Galaxy is another top book).

Mad Wizard
2011-01-18, 12:53 AM
One issue is that Starships of the Galaxy is apparently very difficult to obtain nowadays. I've heard it goes for upwards of $100 on Ebay.

Edit: also, if you do end up getting it, be a bit careful about what you allow. My players have done some scary things with a light freighter and a crapload of quad lasers...