PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] King of the Mountain - the Pesthole (II).

Leewei
2011-01-17, 10:49 PM
From the top of the "Handle" - the stone column portion of the Hammer rock formation for which Hammerfall is named - a 5' wide stone shelf circles much of the cavern, 30' above the surface of the cold water. The shelf breaks in a few places.

One of these gaps, just East of the Handle, is underneath a gaping hole, roughly 5' in diameter. Rumor has it that other dwarven refugees have come here in the prior days. What they found was swarms of vermin, small mountains of bat offal, and odd crystals.

Crunch:It will take 3 DC15 climb checks to reach the Pesthole. A PC may opt to Take 10. Furthermore, a PC with at least one rank in Climb skill can Aid Another to grant +2 to a fellow. The improvised chain is 10' long and reduces the climb DC to 10 for the final check. A dwarf with Strength 14+ may secure it simply by holding it. It is also possible to secure it using the piton and sledge.

A fall into the water below is unpleasant, but unlikely to be fatal. A dwarf who falls into the water can simply walk back to the Anvil if conscious. Falling damage is determined as follows:
*Failed first check by 5+: 1d6 nonlethal.
*Failed second check by 5+: 2d6 nonlethal.
*Failed third check by 5+: 2d6 nonlethal + 1d6 lethal.

Any failure by 1-4 will result in a retry.

--Lime--
2011-01-18, 11:33 AM
Balthazar eyes the rockface.

"Well," he begins, "If one of yous bigger lads can take the chain up, and point me out some handholds, I reckon I shouldn't have a problem wi' th' climbing. Of course, I'll do the same for whoever's behind me."

So basically if someone will give me Aid Another, I'll pass it on to the next person. I can't Take 10 with Aid Another, so I'll still have to roll, but I would have had to do that anyway. If, say, Jag, takes the chain up, it means we can all Take 10 on the final check.

tigerusthegreat
2011-01-18, 03:33 PM
"If you fall, you fall. Bones mend and that water isn't too cold, but I'd avoid it if possible. I'll climb up last. I am fairly strong but I don't know a thing about climbing. Plus if someone falls I'll be able to help them better."

peterpaulrubens
2011-01-19, 12:37 AM
Jag

Jag gruffly takes the chain without asking his new friends for permission for it, and loops it over his neck and one arm.

He turns and says, "Ah yoosta misbehave when Ah was a youngin', and mah pappy yoosta tan mah arse and throw m' down in a pit fer punishin'." He pauses for a moment, and then grins broadly, "Dat pit was a might bit tougher climb than this. Ah never spent much time in der, it stunk like a greenskin's dawg."

Jag starts climbing, and then lowers the chain down to the others..

Take 10 on the climb checks, for an instant 20.

--Lime--
2011-01-19, 04:44 AM
OOC: Assuming that Jag Aids Another...

Balthazar goes next. He grabs the rock face, and points out the hand holds to whoever is behind him, probably one of the less able dwarves.

In order:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

--Lime--
2011-01-19, 04:47 AM
Balthazar grabs at a rock but it is slippery with slimy moss, or something similar. He isn't sure. What he is sure of is splashing into the water below.
Non-lethal:
[roll0]

Proudly, he returns to the pest hole and tries again.

--Lime--
2011-01-19, 04:49 AM
(Sorry for the triple post, it just keeps the rolling actions apart)

[roll0]
[roll1]
Take 10.

Balthazar again drops into the water. This is not what he had hoped for.

--Lime--
2011-01-19, 04:52 AM
Nonlethal:
[roll0]

If conscious:
[roll1]
[roll2]

EDIT: Total non-lethal damage now at 11 > 9hp

This time, Balthazar does not move when he hits the icy water. He's unconscious.

Werewhale
2011-01-19, 10:39 AM
Dal Ironvictor

Dal bites back a curse and grabs Balthazar's arm, hauls him out of the water, and checks his status.
Heal check if needed: [roll0]
He looks at Balrin and asks, "Can you do something for him?"

tigerusthegreat
2011-01-19, 12:53 PM
Balrin sighs at having to already use precious healing magic. He focuses his mind on the spells he has prepared, and choosing the one least useful against vermin.

"Moradin, greatfather, heal this fool of his injuries." He touches Balthazar, channeling the holy energy into him.

[roll0]

peterpaulrubens
2011-01-19, 04:31 PM
Jag

Jag approaches the stricken dwarf as he's roused by the priestly magic.

"Alrite den. Gun have ta carry ya up. Hold on tight afore ya fall on da preacher's head and get da both of ya kill't."

Take 10 on Climb. I'm not going to be sent back to Greenland! :smallbiggrin:

--Lime--
2011-01-19, 04:42 PM
Balthazar groggily accepts, and at the top, thanks both his healer and his climber in a gruff but genuine tone.

"Thanks lads, I dinnae know what happened there."

tigerusthegreat
2011-01-20, 09:58 AM
"You fell....a lot. You should avoid doing that, its bad for your health." Barlin looks at the gap, and decides to try his luck.

climb rolls:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

tigerusthegreat
2011-01-20, 10:03 AM
Balrin, much like Balthazar, falls...a lot. Unlike Balthazar, he gives up before knocking himself unconcious, and also is capable of healing himself. Channeling more holy power, Balrin cures some of his bruises.

If I'm reading this right, the higher damage is after a succesful check, right? So if I fail before succeeding I just take the lower damage? I've posted actions above for the first case, and will change if neccesary.

If so subdual damage for 3 falls:

If not:
[roll1]
[roll=lethal]1d6[

tigerusthegreat
2011-01-20, 10:04 AM
Yay for extra rolls and mistyping
[roll0]

[roll1]

Leewei
2011-01-20, 06:11 PM
Balrin:That's correct. You barely started each time before falling.

Once you make it inside, you'll see the following:
╔═══╗
╝...║
..*.║
╗...║
╚═══╝

After the harrowing climb from the East wall of Hammerfall, you find yourself in a small natural chamber with a mound of bat guano piled in the middle. Small vermin crawl around the area.

peterpaulrubens
2011-01-21, 09:19 PM
Jag

Jag says merely "HRMPH!" as he begins the tedious process of ferrying his comrades up the wall.

Jag carries his friends up. Take 10 each time.

I'm not sure who has the worst blow to their dignity, the ones who fell or the one who's been turned into a pack-mule. :smalltongue:

tigerusthegreat
2011-01-21, 09:26 PM
Once he is ferried up, Balrin begins looking around and investigating the nearby area.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Leewei
2011-01-21, 10:11 PM
Balrin:In addition to the previous description, you can also hear bats from somewhere nearby. LOTS of them. For some reason, you fail to see them.

--Lime--
2011-01-21, 11:30 PM
Now inside, Balthazar brushes himself off and takes a look around.

"Ah cin see why they call it th' Pesthole..." he says bluntly, and starts checking the walls, floor and ceiling for a way out of the chamber.

Listen: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

If nothing is amiss or immediately dangerous, move closer to the walls to check them.
Search: [roll2]
(I haven't factored in Stonecutting, because it might not be relevant. Don't forget Trapfinding!

Werewhale
2011-01-22, 06:03 AM
Dal Ironvictor

Dal apologizes profusely for the indignity as he is carried up the wall, carefully making no mention of the humiliation he himself felt at having to be carried like a baby, but he knew if anything even less than the others about climbing so he didn't take any chances.

Once up, he peers inside with the others, "Seen anything?"

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Leewei
2011-01-22, 12:06 PM
Balthazar:You manage to spot where the pile came from as a fresh deposit falls through a hole in the roof. Moving forward, you notice that the hole is actually from a natural chimney large enough to crawl through. A loud racket of bat squeaking issues from the hole.

Dal:You had no idea they stacked it that high. The bugs are revolting!

peterpaulrubens
2011-01-22, 02:09 PM
Jag

Finished with his ferrying duties, Jag takes a look around as well, then starts climbing the chimney.

Listen: [roll1]
Take 10 on the chimney climb if that will suffice, otherwise: Climb [roll2]

Leewei
2011-01-22, 08:28 PM
Jag:
╔════╝.╚╗
╝.......║
...o....║
╗.......║
╚═══════╝

The chimney (shown as an "o") leads into a room swarming with insects, centipedes and other vermin. The noise of bats overhead is thunderous, and the smell of filth threatens to overwhelm you.

All PCs entering this room:A DC-12 Fortitude save is required to avoid becoming sickened. This is a poison effect. Effects that grant protect from poison will help with this normally. The sickness lasts until the affected PC leaves the Pesthole and rests for five minutes.

Leewei
2011-01-22, 08:31 PM
DM use:[roll0]

peterpaulrubens
2011-01-23, 12:31 PM
Jag

Jag looks around, inspecting the vermin closely.

Poison save: [roll0] Edit: DOOOOOOOH.

Spot: [roll1]
Listen:[roll2]

What's the appropriate skill to see if any of these things are edible? Survival?
Generic roll for it, add modifiers as appropriate: [roll3]

--Lime--
2011-01-23, 04:53 PM
Balthazar follows Jag up the chimney and is almost overcome by the stench.

Just as in the previous room, he checks the walls, floor and ceiling for any abnormalities, then peers out of the obvious exits into the darkness.

"'Orrible up 'ere, di y'not think?" he says, but turning to his comrade notices that the other dwarf isn't looking quite himself.
"You alreet?" he asks, concerned.

Save vs Poison [roll0]
Climb chimney: [roll1]
Spot: [roll2]
Listen: [roll3]
Search [roll4] (no extra bonuses applied apart from ranks & Int)

Will roll any further passive skills (such as knowing if something is food or not) at DM's request... forgot to in this post :P

Leewei
2011-01-23, 06:22 PM
All:Survival would be appropriate to determine whether or not something is edible.

Jag:Struggling to keep down your raw fish lunch, you still manage to note that a lot of the vermin here are edible. If you were less sick, you might try one. The sound of bats is near-deafening. You see a few flying and crawling about in fissures in the ceiling. The room is mired in years' worth of bat guano.

Balthazar:You discover something small and hard in the nearby filth. Closer inspection shows it to be some sort of gem or crystal.

peterpaulrubens
2011-01-23, 07:05 PM
Jag

Jag nods grimly to Balthazar. "'m fine. Guess ah got mah wish... Ah tain't hungry no more. Ah reckon sum o' dese things be decent eats... once we'z away from da smell."

--Lime--
2011-01-23, 08:12 PM
"Ay, is that so?" responds Balthazar, and takes a suspicious look at the vermin...

Survival: [roll0]

...remaining unconvinced as to their edibility.

As he does so, he notices something glint in the muck. Hesitantly, he picks it up to take a better look.
Are gemstones stones? Either way, I've left out the +2 dwarves get on stone.
Appraise: [roll1]

Identify (so... knowledge? I know I can only go up to DC5 but if I've seen the salt crystals brought back before I mightn't need to roll? I don't know. Rolling anyway. Add modifiers as appropriate, if the roll is needed at all, or not covered by appraise check.
[roll2]

Balthazar shows it to Jag, and will do for the others when they arrive, intending to put it in his pocket once the others have had their say.
"Ah say we should try goin' oot that broader hole over there, when the others arrive," he says, pointing West, "But for now, what di'ya make of this?"

Leewei
2011-01-23, 08:35 PM
Balthazar:This looks like a smaller version of the one the alchemist was carefully guarding in his space. Stonecunning does apply, and even with the relatively low roll, you can conclude the crystals are worthless as gems. The alchemist seemed to think they were worth keeping, however.

OOC:Holding on actions for PCs other than Balthazar and Jag due to imminent combat. :smallwink:

tigerusthegreat
2011-01-23, 08:45 PM
Balrin follows the others, carefully climbing the chimney, and avoids being revolted by the stench. He holds the maul ready.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Leewei
2011-01-23, 09:18 PM
Balrin and Dal:OOC: You can take 10 on the climb. You arrive at the top without incident.

The shrieking of overhead bats is very intense. You can barely make out a half-shouted conversation between your nearby companions. Jag looks sick, probably from the noisome bat feces bogging the floor. A flicker of dim light catches your attention. Three gigantic, dog-sized beetles are busy feeding on smaller vermin in a nearby corner of the room. They either haven't noticed you or don't care.

Werewhale
2011-01-24, 07:28 AM
Dal Ironvictor

Dal follows the others up the chimney.

Taking 10 on Climb, assuming I can do so.
Fortitude save vs. Poison: [roll0]
Spot:[roll1]
Listen:[roll2]

Leewei
2011-01-24, 09:26 AM
OOC: Dal, read Balrin's Spoiler, above -- I added you to the addressee list.

Worlok
2011-01-24, 01:49 PM
Taking ten on the climb checks, I'd get 15. Anyhow, see below:

Climb #1: [roll0]
Climb #2: [roll1]
Climb #3: [roll2]

Cr... What's the falling damage, again?
Having braved the first part of the climb with ease, Dakost somehow keeps getting less and less secure during the second, only to slip and fall during the last one.

(All of this assuming I can not just take ten, of course. If I can, assume I am just silently following you guys so far, having made the climb.)

Werewhale
2011-01-24, 02:55 PM
Dal Ironfist
"Watch out!" Dal calls and quickly positions himself between his companions and the beetles, hefting his pickaxe, ready to strike, "Two giant beetles over there!" he adds to the others, pointing in the direction of what he saw.

Readying action to strike if any of the beetles moves at them.
Attack Roll:[roll0]
Damage Roll: [roll1]

Leewei
2011-01-24, 03:31 PM
Dakost:Actually, the DC of the last check is only 10. That roll fails, but won't cause you to fall. Since your lowest possible roll is 6, you'll ultimately succeed on the initial climb check. The chimney climb is also DC10, so just consider yourself up the chimney as well.

All:No readied action outside of combat. On that note, roll initiative. :smallamused:

--Lime--
2011-01-24, 07:02 PM
Balthazar allows Dal to get in front of him.

I hope I get to do that before combat starts.
Initiative: [roll0]

Leewei
2011-01-24, 07:14 PM
OOC: Once PCs have climbed up the chimney, actions will occur roughly based on initiative rolls. Any PCs that win initiative can resolve their actions, then monsters act, then all PCs go, etc.

Speaking of initiative ...

[roll0]

Worlok
2011-01-24, 11:13 PM
Having positioned himself right behind and sort of next to the others, Dakost readies himself for battle with the professional resolve of a hammerer facing criminals. The fact that he's unarmed does not seem to put him off in the least. "Anyone know what kind of beetles those are? Sure look hungry..." he mumbles, eyes set on the vermin.

Leewei
2011-01-25, 12:46 AM
ABCDEFGHI
01╔════╝.╚╗
02╝.......║
03...o....║
04╗.......║
05╚═══════╝

OOC: Place yourselves on the map, adjacent to the "o" (the chimney you climbed up).

tigerusthegreat
2011-01-25, 01:04 AM
OOC: I'll be at D2

--Lime--
2011-01-25, 01:09 AM
OOC: Was thinking of myself at about C2

Werewhale
2011-01-25, 06:16 AM
Dal Ironvictor

(Assuming that the beetles are around H2 or H4, Dal will be in E2)

peterpaulrubens
2011-01-25, 02:32 PM
Jag

Jag will be at E3.

Worlok
2011-01-26, 11:58 AM
OOC: Is D4 taken?

--Lime--
2011-01-27, 03:14 PM
Balthazar tries to see into the darkness.

Defer action till end of round.

tigerusthegreat
2011-01-27, 03:53 PM
Balrin prepares himself for the worst.

Total Defense, no other actions. +4 AC for a grand amazing total of 14

Leewei
2011-01-28, 02:54 PM
ABCDEFGHI
01╔════╝.╚╗
02╝.ZBD...║
03...oJ..*║
04╗..K..**║
05╚═══════╝

Key:
(B)alrin
Baltha(Z)ar
(J)ag
(D)al
Da(K)ost

Giant Bug: *

Bug awareness roll: [roll0]

The insects notice the newcomers and begin to clack their mandibles together excitedly. Large polyps behind their eyes begin to glow a bright orange color, shedding torch-colored light on the room.

--Lime--
2011-01-28, 03:19 PM
OOC: Action remains the same. Defer till end of round.

tigerusthegreat
2011-01-28, 03:39 PM
OOC: As does mine seeing as I'm blocked in.

peterpaulrubens
2011-01-28, 08:43 PM
Jag

Jag steps forward, swinging his pick hard into the nearest bug.

5' step to F03, attack the bug in G04.
[roll0] to hit, [roll1] damage.

Worlok
2011-01-29, 07:09 AM
Dakost steps forth, punching the air in excitement as Jag attacks. "Righteous, lad! Give 'em what-for!" Then he throws himself into the fray.

Moving to F4 to punch the bug Jag just attacked.

Attack: [roll0]
In case of crit, confirm: [roll1]
For nonlethal damage equal to: [roll2]

Werewhale
2011-01-29, 08:18 AM
Dal Ironvictor

Dal sets off, cutting in front of Jag, placing him in the midst of the bugs. He hacks at one of them, preparing to fend off any attacks.

Yeh, paladin putting himself in danger before others. Moving to G03 and attacking G04, or H03 if the former is already down. Also, fighting defensively.

Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

AC is 12 for this round.

Leewei
2011-02-01, 05:48 PM
Dakost swings recklessly at one of the bugs, smacking it resoundingly with his fist. The creature lurches to one side, stagggered. The other attacks have little effect on the beetles.

ABCDEFGHI
01╔════╝.╚╗
02╝.ZB....║
03...o.JD*║
04╗....K**║
05╚═══════╝

Key:
(B)alrin
Baltha(Z)ar
(J)ag
(D)al
Da(K)ost

Giant Bug: *

The giant insects counterattack!Attacking Dal: [roll0] for [roll1] damage.
Attacking Dakost: [roll2] for [roll3] damage.
Attacking Jag: [roll4] for [roll5] damage.

Worlok
2011-02-01, 06:08 PM
Sooo... I'm at two hit points now? :smalleek:

--Lime--
2011-02-01, 07:14 PM
Balthazar moves to H2 and attacks the adjacent bug. He wasn't going to get involved in the combat, seeing as he is something of a liability, but it was too much watching his fellow dwarves get hurt like this. Screaming "For Hammerfall!" he runs across the room and tries to punch the bug.

Move to H2
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

tigerusthegreat
2011-02-01, 07:31 PM
Balrin charges forward (g2) and attacks the only bug he can reach (H3).

[roll0] [roll1]

Werewhale
2011-02-01, 07:46 PM
Dal Ironvictor

Gritting his teeth against the pain, Dal brings his pick down upon one of the bugs.

Attacking H3 if it's still alive, otherwise G4, if both are dead then it's H4.

Attack Roll: [roll0]
Damage Roll: [roll1]

Really, forum roller?

peterpaulrubens
2011-02-01, 08:44 PM
Jag

Jag screams as the ugly bug bites him. "Ohyeah?!?! Don't START nothin', won't BE nothin'!!!"

Foaming at the mouth in his fury, Jag attacks again.

Enter Rage.

Attack the bug in G04: [roll0]to-hit, [roll1]

Edit: bah that -4 for the makeshift weapon is just killin' me. :/

Leewei
2011-02-08, 08:57 AM
OOC: Reviewing the stats on these beetles - specifically their AC and damage, compared to the PCs' ability to hit with their weapons and their AC, I'm going to handwave that PCs get routed and end up back in Hammerfall where they nurse their injuries for a couple of days. I'll follow up in the OOC thread with more explanation.