PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Swordsages and psionics

Dusk Eclipse
2011-01-17, 11:42 PM
Do you consider it would be overpowered to let psychic reformation, change your selected maneuvers?

I was toying with a gestalt Swordsage//Ardent (or psychic warrior, I haven't decided yet) and thought that psychic reformation would be a great to expand on the swordsage's versatility and power by giving him more leeway in taking some of the more niche maneuvers (many of the stone dragon for example) and also increasing the over al power of the swordsage, by letting him have more high-level maneuvers known.

But by RAW Psychic reformation can only affect feat choices, skill points allocation and powers selected; hence my questions.

Thanks in advance

sonofzeal
2011-01-17, 11:47 PM
The subject can undo decisions of these sorts that were made at lower levels...

I'd say this qualifies. You should be fine. Consult your DM for further information. If you are the DM... do what seems reasonable to you.

Psyren
2011-01-17, 11:58 PM
It's gestalt, and you're combining a T2 and T3 class; power worries are already out the window.

sonofzeal
2011-01-18, 12:10 AM
...also increasing the over al power of the swordsage, by letting him have more high-level maneuvers known.
Woahwoahwaoh, didn't see this the first time. NOT kosher, imo. The maneuvers he switches to should be maneuvers he qualified for when he chose them in the first place. You couldn't change all your Psi Powers to 9th level (although that would probably be a bad idea), so you couldn't change all your maneuvers to 9th either. You can change lower level choices, but that's it.

The one "trick" is that maneuvers can qualify for themselves; if you want Feigned Opening that requires knowing 1 setting sun maneuver, you could take Counter Charge, take Feigned Opening, and then Reformation away Counter Charge for a maneuver of a different school. You still qualify for Feigned Opening since you still have one setting sun maneuver - namely Feigned Opening itself.

It's clever, but it works.

Keld Denar
2011-01-18, 01:43 AM
It's clever, but it works.

You wouldn't even need this, a maneuver being swapped out counts itself WRT maneuvers known. So you could swap Counter Charge for Feign Opening straight up.

Also, Psychic Reformation doesn't follow the rules as PHBII retraining. Its...much more liberal.

sonofzeal
2011-01-18, 09:19 AM
You wouldn't even need this, a maneuver being swapped out counts itself WRT maneuvers known. So you could swap Counter Charge for Feign Opening straight up.
You're right that you can do it anyway, but you only ever get a few swaps though, and only when you level up. So Psychic Reformation makes it considerably more accessible.