PDA

View Full Version : Anyone up for statting Soul Calibur/Edge characters?

Scarlet-Devil
2011-01-18, 02:05 AM
Preferably in 3.5 ('cause it's the system I know best), and ideally without using 3rd party/homebrew junk.

Some vague, general ideas just to stir interest and get the juices flowing:

Raphael- Human (later Vampire) Swashbuckler/Duelist, wields rapier.
Taki- Human Ninja, wields shortswords.
Astaroth- Flesh Golem? Fighter or Barbarian, wields great axe.
Xianghua- Human, similar to Raphael, with heavy emphasis on feinting.
Sueng Mina- Human somethingorother, wields glaive.
Cassandra/Sophitia- Human somethingorothers, agile, unarmored sword-and-boards.

Xefas
2011-01-18, 02:38 AM
Preferably in 3.5 ('cause it's the system I know best), and ideally without using 3rd party/homebrew junk.

Yes! We need more ambiguously worded threads around here.

Nightmare - Warblade with a major in Stone Dragon and a minor in Iron Heart, or alternatively a singular focus towards a homebrew discipline that is exactly the same as Stone Dragon but without the restriction for having to be in contact with the ground. Fullplate definitely; possible some kind of fiendish graft. His sword is obviously a Chaotic Evil intelligent magic greatsword with a big Ego score.

And now that we have that out of the way...

Exalted Nightmare: Slayer Caste; we'll assume some transparency between Soul Edge and Malfeas - they are both ancient evils with flesh motifs and similar dispositions. His Exaltation got him the Claws mutation as the sign from his unwoven coadjutor. He's got vitriol-baptized soulsteel superheavy plate, and a Hellforged Wonder version of a Grand Daiklaive using a first or second circle soul of Soul Edge as a template. He's got a lot of the Malfeas toughness-related charms and maybe some Infernal Monster (up to Screaming Meat Shield and Hero Sundering Hands, at least...because c'mon).

Also, just because:

Risus Nightmare: [6] Big Dumb Fighter, [4] Ancient Evil, [3] Gravelly Voiced Villain

Primetime Adventures Nightmare:
Concept: Big Dumb Sexy Fighter Possessed By Ancient Evil
Issues: Find Soul Edge, Figure Out Why All These Gigantic Breasts With Swords Keep Attacking Me
Personal Set: Ostrheinsburg Castle
Edges: Big Stabbity Death, Very Old and Very Evil
Connections: Tira, sexy clown girl (but not as sexy as me)

Dacia Brabant
2011-01-18, 02:55 AM
Tome of Battle classes would work best in most cases I think.

Astaroth: Stone Dragon Warblade
Cassandra and Sophitia: Crusaders with Swordsage dip for Setting Sun throws
Cervantes: Tiger Claw Warblade
Ivy: Not sure, but needs to use that homebrew "Chthonic Serpent" discipline
Kilik: Monk probably fits best for him, but only if it's one of the better Monk fixes that're out there
Mitsurugi: Iron Heart Warblade
Nightmare: Crusader/Warblade, refluffing Devoted Spirit heals as the effect of Soul Edge (he gets to use the 4 hp one despite being Evil)
Raphael: Diamond Mind Warblade/Swashbuckler
Seung Mina: Tripper Crusader with either a Monk or Swordsage dip for unarmored AC
Taki: Shadow Sun Swordsage/Ninja
Talim: Sun Tiger Swordsage
Voldo: Bloodclaw Master Swordsage
Xianghua: Diamond Mind Swordsage

Gettles
2011-01-18, 04:47 AM
Astaroth really doesn't need a TOB and seems like basic barbarian fits him best maybe a few levels of fighter for grappling feats as well (dude loves throws).

Taki is definitely a swordsage though. I'd go with tiger claw and setting sun for the most part.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-01-18, 11:49 AM
Astaroth really doesn't need a TOB and seems like basic barbarian fits him best maybe a few levels of fighter for grappling feats as well (dude loves throws).

Taki is definitely a swordsage though. I'd go with tiger claw and setting sun for the most part.

I tend to agree with this; Astaroth seems like a pretty simple dude. Any thoughts on his race though?

A couple of little issues I see are that virtually nobody, with a few exceptions, wears armor, and everybody is capable of making skillful unarmed attacks. Being hard to hit while unarmored is one thing(swordsage is good, but it only helps if we're assuming that everybody inexplicably has a high wisdom modifier); for the other, I suppose it's simple enough to say that every character has improved/superior unarmed strike.

Prime32
2011-01-18, 11:58 AM
Tome of Battle classes would work best in most cases I think.ToB was based on Soul Calibur. :smalltongue:

I had a Nightmare build lying around... IIRC it used warblade and taint mechanics.

Marillion
2011-01-18, 12:29 PM
Voldo is a "WHATTHEHELLISTHAT." with 10 levels in "ITSHOULDNTBENDTHATWAY."

BenInHB
2011-01-18, 05:14 PM
Astaroth is a Golem created by a cult devoted to war. He was made to go out and get the Soul Edge for them.

For race i would go with either Goliath Half Flesh-Golem or a living construct like Warforged Charger (though it may need refluffed to be less metallic)

Class wise i would go with Wolf Totem Barbarian. Rage and improved trip seem appropriate. Whirlwind and improved grapple should find there way into to build too. Maybe some setting sun maneuvers for his throws.

Geddoe
2011-01-18, 07:52 PM
Tome of Battle classes would work best in most cases I think.

Astaroth: Stone Dragon Warblade
Cassandra and Sophitia: Crusaders with Swordsage dip for Setting Sun throws
Cervantes: Tiger Claw Warblade
Ivy: Not sure, but needs to use that homebrew "Chthonic Serpent" discipline
Kilik: Monk probably fits best for him, but only if it's one of the better Monk fixes that're out there
Mitsurugi: Iron Heart Warblade
Nightmare: Crusader/Warblade, refluffing Devoted Spirit heals as the effect of Soul Edge (he gets to use the 4 hp one despite being Evil)
Raphael: Diamond Mind Warblade/Swashbuckler
Seung Mina: Tripper Crusader with either a Monk or Swordsage dip for unarmored AC
Taki: Shadow Sun Swordsage/Ninja
Talim: Sun Tiger Swordsage
Voldo: Bloodclaw Master Swordsage
Xianghua: Diamond Mind Swordsage

This mostly seems right to me. It almost seems like Anima Beyond Fantasy might be a better system.

Amy - Freelancer trying to multiclass to Acrobatic Warrior (lowest level)
Astaroth - Combat golem Weaponmaster
Cassandra - Paladin or Warrior
Cervantes - Warrior-Mentalist(Warrior mentalist can attack by moving weapons with his mind)
Hwang - Warrior
Ivy - Freelancer/Acrobatic Warrior with the Impossible Weapon Scorpio
Kilik - Tao/Technician
Li Long - Assassin
Maxi - Acrobatic Warrior
Mitsurugi - Warrior
Nightmare - Warrior/Warlock with Chimera spell cast to give creature abilities when it is Siegfried being possessed. Just a Warlock when it is a sentient piece of the Soul Edge
Raphael - Acrobatic Warrior all the way, with the soul edge poisoning acting a the Chimera spell to give him various creature abilities
Rock - Ranger
Seong Mi-na - Ranger(which is the traditional adventurer class, not just a woodsman)
Sophitia - Paladin with Elan synchronization from Hephaestus and possibly a number of the Olympians(higher level than Cassandra)
Taki - Shadow with more points than usual spent in MK and ki techniques.
Talim - Acrobatic Warrior with a bit of Elan with the Wind Gods of her homeland
Voldo - Assassin/Shadow
Xianghua - Tao/Acrobatic Warrior
Yun - Acrobatic Warrior/Ranger
Edgemaster - Warrior/Technician
Olcadan - Same
Shop Girls - freelancers

AslanCross
2011-01-18, 10:45 PM
3.5:
I'd give Nightmare the Half-Fiend template because he does a lot of other things in the cinematics apart from bash with his sword. Blasphemy almost fits with the opening scene of SC3, where he blows those other soldiers away.

Soul Edge would be an artifact with at least the following properties:
-Unholy
-Brutal Surge
-Bloodfeeding
-Bodyfeeder

It also gives the wielder the at-will ability to cast blade of blood (most versions of the Soul Edge drain the wielder's HP to increase attack power).

Soul Calibur would be:
-Holy
-Have a unique regenerative ability, as almost all versions regenerate the wielder's HP.

-Taki should also have the explosive Desert Wind maneuvers. A portion of her moveset is devoted to explosives.

-Siegfried would start out as a Knight, then take Crusader levels later. At least that way he doesn't lapse into losing class abilities when Soul Edge takes over him.

-I'm pretty sure Cervantes is undead because of the Soul Edge fragments in his body. Apart from Necropolitan, what else can fit him?

-Voldo somehow has natural armor. He parries with his crotch. :smalleek:

-Night Terror is a Balor. Nuff said.

EDIT: Regarding unarmored-ness: I think an exception can be made in SC's case, where weapons grant an armor bonus to AC by default. Some weapons increase defense, while others increase evasion.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-01-18, 11:12 PM
Unarmedness in Soul Calibur huh?

I think this little variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/defenseBonus.htm) would be perfect for that.

Edit: There I fixed the link,:smallredface: sorry if I confused someone

Mystic Muse
2011-01-18, 11:44 PM
Voldo is a "WHATTHEHELLISTHAT." with 10 levels in "ITSHOULDNTBENDTHATWAY."

I wish I had space in my sig for this.:smallfrown:

Scarlet-Devil
2011-01-19, 02:25 AM
Unarmedness in Soul Calibur huh?

I think this little variant (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/minorCreation.htm), would be perfect for that.

Wait :smallconfused:, was that supposed to be a link to minor creation? I'm not sure I follow...

-Voldo somehow has natural armor. He parries with his crotch. :smalleek:

Yowzas! :smalltongue: Well, whatever he is, he isn't human right? Maybe some kind of undead or something...

Dusk Eclipse
2011-01-19, 06:56 AM
Wait :smallconfused:, was that supposed to be a link to minor creation? I'm not sure I follow..

:facepalm: that was supposed to be a link to the defense bonus variant :smallredface: I was discussingv minor creation with someone and it seems I got the wrong link.

AslanCross
2011-01-19, 07:04 AM
Yowzas! :smalltongue: Well, whatever he is, he isn't human right? Maybe some kind of undead or something...

Actually I think he's just insane. He would have Blindsight, though, as he's able to fight despite being blind.