PDA

View Full Version : Gotrek and Felix books

rakkoon
2011-01-18, 04:28 AM
I read the first books up to Giantslayer, the ones by King. I was told the next ones, by Nathan Long, are nowhere as good and I should not bother. Has anyone here read them?

Eldan
2011-01-18, 04:31 AM
Can't say, I've only read the first Omnibus. In fact, I only came here to tell a funny anecdote:

My little brother (well, he's seventeen), has somewhat more limited English skills than I do. So, he came into my room while I was reading that book and said: " 'The First Omnibus?' They have buses now in the Empire? Didn't know they were that advanced..."

Edit: "Omnibus" is an alternative word for a "bus" in German. I'm not even sure it's used that way in English.

rakkoon
2011-01-18, 05:27 AM
The first book is absolutely terrible, the second is quite bad, the third one good and the fourth and next ones are very good. In a military/heroic fantasy setting of course. Don't expect serious political intrigue :smallsmile:
I can of course just buy the first one not by King but I wondered if anyone in the Playground had an opinion.

Lix Lorn
2011-01-18, 05:30 AM
I'm fond of all of them, up to... third omnibus.
That said, I can enjoy pretty much anything, so my word might no be the best. :smalltongue:

rakkoon
2011-01-18, 05:32 AM
The third omnibus would be after Giantslayer, sweet Lady?

Lix Lorn
2011-01-18, 05:36 AM
It would be...
(checks)

Indeed. I have read up to Manslayer.

Closet_Skeleton
2011-01-18, 05:10 PM
I never read past the King ones. Might not even have read up to the last King one.

Edit: "Omnibus" is an alternative word for a "bus" in German. I'm not even sure it's used that way in English.

Bus is a shortening of omnibus in English as well, but its archaic.

According to Wikipedia, all buses are named after a hat shop called "Omnes Omnibus" in the city of Nantes in France that happened to be next to a bustop..

Science Officer
2011-01-18, 06:08 PM
According to Wikipedia, all buses are named after a hat shop called "Omnes Omnibus" in the city of Nantes in France that happened to be next to a bustop..

Latin teacher told me it had to do with the -ibus ending of the word (genitive? dative?) that said who it to belonged to. Omnibus is transportation, for all (omnes, omn- -ibus).

'-.- my Latin knowledge is awful.

Isak
2011-01-18, 06:21 PM
I've read all of the Slayer books, up to Zombieslayer (Haven't gotten it yet).

William King's books are certainly MUCH better... I'd still gladly go back and read any of them another dozen times and still not get bored.

Nathan Long's books started out not-so-great. My personal favorite of his was Elfslayer. Shamanslayer wasn't that bad either.

Course, You read the Slayer books for one thing, and one thing only...

What will Gotrek end up killing next? :smallamused: