PDA

View Full Version : half what now???

the clumsy bard
2011-01-18, 09:47 AM
I am starting a new campaign in about a month.

I am playing a half-giant artificer 4.

My background is a little deeper then I am about to recount, but I for ease of reading I am going to write what's important and hope you can help me figure something interesting and flavorful out.

My character is a half-giant, but I plan on the giant side of my lineage to be an ettin. How would a half human and half ettin child work out exactly?

I was thinking of having it that my character will have two personalities.

One that is gentle, nice and smart (artificer)

The other being more violent and angry.

I am just curious how you guys would handle building a character with this background.

hamlet
2011-01-18, 10:23 AM
I kinda like the idea. As a DM, I'd have you draw up two characters that are based on the same physical stats, but different personalities, probably different classes, etc. and then, as the DM, I'd design a trigger that would trip and cause dominant personalities to switch out from time to time. Perhaps stressful situations (forced to "bloodied" for example) would trigger a saving throw or something that would cause an involuntary change. Suddenly, you'd have a different skill set that you'd have to make due with.

Intentional shifting might be possible, but very difficult with possible disastrous results.

the clumsy bard
2011-01-18, 10:43 AM
I've previously worked something like that out with my GM

He liked the idea, we just had to work on possible triggers.

I also have to figure out the other half of my character.

AKA the violent angry psychopath... well not exactly, but something like that.

A barbarian jumps to mind, but I dunno I have always found barbarians to be somewhat one dimensional. Not that it has to be deeper then that, but definitely would prefer to make it colorful as opposed to the half-ettin eveil side smash!

I am currently using a level 4 artificer (first time using the class)

My GM has allowed me to have a level adjustment of 0 as long as I increase the dex to -3 and remove the psionics and extra power points.

My character has the following stats:

strength 14, dexterity 10, constitution 12, intelligence 18 (17 +1 from 4th level increase), wisdom 10, charisma 14

Would've preferred a higher dexterity, but a minus 3 is a minus 3!

Our GM is giving us a 32 point buy system.

I am taking the feats extraordinary artisan, legendary artisan, item familiar, extend spell.

Based on those stats, he seems mediocre-ish in any other roles really.

hamlet
2011-01-18, 10:48 AM
Actually, for the psychotic side, you might consider a blasting type sorcerror or wizard or warlock. When he loses control, he just lets loose with the unholy fires. And it would be "sloppy" type casting as likely to catch friends as foes.

Since I'm not terribly familiar with 4e, I can't give you class specifics, but I think that one of those three classes is still linked to INT yes?

the clumsy bard
2011-01-18, 10:52 AM
probably should clear up that I am playing 3.5 d and d

The artificer 4 is my level sorry:smallredface:

hamlet
2011-01-18, 11:03 AM
probably should clear up that I am playing 3.5 d and d

The artificer 4 is my level sorry:smallredface:

Well there you go then!

I believe that Warlocks are CHA based in 3.x, and with a 14 you'd still be modestly effective, though less than the calm and collected Artificer side. It fits better than wizard which requires more planning than I think you're looking at. I'd say sorceror, except that blasting arcane magic is quite sub-optimal in 3.x what with the inflated HP's and easy saves and all.

I don't have the book with the warlock in front of me (seeing as how the office tends to frown on such activities during work hours - spoil sports), but I believe that there's enough in there that you can mod the eldritch blasts into area effects and such.

mootoall
2011-01-18, 11:11 AM
Well it's a mental change- why not a Wilder? You've given up your extra racial PP, so your DM should feel like you've actually lost something with that, it's Cha based, and it gives you that wild feel better than, say, sorcerer.

the clumsy bard
2011-01-18, 11:14 AM
Or a psychometabolism focused psion who "hulks" out?

The 18 in intelligence would lend well to the class. Although psion is another one I have never played. It's something I've read and read and read about though lol.

Demonweave
2011-01-18, 11:19 AM
I kinda like the idea. As a DM, I'd have you draw up two characters that are based on the same physical stats, but different personalities, probably different classes, etc. and then, as the DM, I'd design a trigger that would trip and cause dominant personalities to switch out from time to time. Perhaps stressful situations (forced to "bloodied" for example) would trigger a saving throw or something that would cause an involuntary change. Suddenly, you'd have a different skill set that you'd have to make due with.

We have had several characters with split personas like this in past campaigns. The trigger is usually the big issue. If it is too easy and/or common an occurance then it makes it too beneficial. On the other hand if it is something very rare, you'll pretty much never trigger it and it becomes pointless.

One I like, is having a hatred for a race/certain type of enemy and basically raging out when you see them. (this works really well if you let the DM choose)