PDA

View Full Version : Is it truly terrible that...

pendell
2011-01-18, 10:08 AM
...I know when a particular co-worker is telecommuting because the office is at 1/4 it's normal noise volume? It's like one person has all the hyperactivity of the rest of the office put together.

Perhaps I should slip some ritalin into his coffee.

Just kidding! Would NEVER do that. Fun to think about, though...

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Haruki-kun
2011-01-18, 10:12 AM
Some people are noisy. You just have to learn to deal with them. At least you don't have to live with him or anything.

rayne_dragon
2011-01-18, 10:55 AM
Fortunately, most people have some concept of their own speaking volume and ability to regulate it. Also, I have my doubts that ritalin would really help much... not that you'd ever do anything like that. :smallwink:

KuReshtin
2011-01-18, 11:14 AM
I have a colleague like that as well.
When he's not in the office, there's a 98% chance that there are no raging outbursts about how all the customers are idiots and how they don't know anything and how everything is done or designed, to annoy the hell out of him.

earlier today, he needed to look for some files in a cupboard that we all know is jam packed because we can't get another cupboard, and when he then grabbed one of the folders he needed, about three more fell out onto the floor.
At that point, he decided to start swearing and complaining loudly about how crap everything was, and then started to throw the folders all over the place.
When one of our team leaders came over to ask him if he had to do that, the answer was 'Yes, because everything is so messed up with this.....' and so on, and so on....

It's always a joy to be here when he's in the office. :smalleek:

mucat
2011-01-18, 12:29 PM
Some people are noisy. You just have to learn to deal with them.

Or talk to them and ask them to be less noisy. When an otherwise sane person has a habit that annoys their coworkers, they'll almost always try to change it if someone politely tells them it's a problem.

(I've been on the receiving end of this as well as on the requesting end. I'm very glad the person told me one of my work habits was getting on their nerves so we could work out a compromise, rather than keeping quiet about it and staying annoyed. I saw it as a mark of respect on their part, that they knew they could be honest with me and that I would give them fair consideration rather than getting mad.)

Heliomance
2011-01-18, 01:14 PM
Yeah, I've been on the receiving end also. I'm one of those people with no indoor voice. The trouble is, I don't notice. People ask me to be quieter, and I try, but after a few minutes I START GETTING LOUDER AGAIN. I think I may have a slight hearing problem - not enough to impact my life, but enough that I don't think things are as loud as other people do.

Moff Chumley
2011-01-18, 01:22 PM
I'm in the same boat as Heliomance: I'm either mumbling or shouting.

grimbold
2011-01-18, 03:23 PM
Some people are noisy. You just have to learn to deal with them. At least you don't have to live with him or anything.

my thoughts exactly
some people work better when they are noisy

RandomNPC
2011-01-18, 07:07 PM
The bosses daughter is like that.
As is the bosses best friend, who he pays to rat on us.
Also a guy in the next department over.

basicly if you're socially unacceptable my boss will hire you to mix with the four or five people who do all the work.

And yes, when any one of those people take a day off I notice it a few hours in that I'm not wearing my earmuffs all the time, just when I run my machine.

Flickerdart
2011-01-18, 07:14 PM
The bosses daughter is like that.
As is the bosses best friend, who he pays to rat on us.
Also a guy in the next department over.

basicly if you're socially unacceptable my boss will hire you to mix with the four or five people who do all the work.

And yes, when any one of those people take a day off I notice it a few hours in that I'm not wearing my earmuffs all the time, just when I run my machine.
So you work in a place with noisy machines. Can't you just turn it on when the noisy people start being noisy? :smallwink:

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-01-18, 07:29 PM
I know I've got a problem like that. My family will often tell me to dial it back when I'm talking too loud in a public place. Maybe it's because I have the instinct to project from theater classes, maybe it's my autism, but I always seem to speak more loudly than other people.

weeping eagle
2011-01-18, 08:31 PM
...I know when a particular co-worker is telecommuting because the office is at 1/4 it's normal noise volume? It's like one person has all the hyperactivity of the rest of the office put together.

Perhaps I should slip some ritalin into his coffee.Alternate idea: go out drinking with him about once every three months.

valadil
2011-01-19, 12:14 AM
We have three people in my office. For one of them to be making 1/4 of the noise implies that either the other guy or myself is a noisy jerk.

Are other people bothered by your coworker's noise level? If it's just you, buy some headphones.

Partof1
2011-01-19, 03:47 AM
My voice isn't inherently loud, but I am a poor judge of volume. Loud noises really bothered me as a youngin, so now I may overcompensate. It works fine in most settings, but in some occasions, like in class, or at movies, I notice I'm being repeatedly shushed despite trying to keep quiet.

Snow Leopard
2011-01-19, 03:55 AM

Perhaps I should slip some ritalin into his coffee.

Just kidding! Would NEVER do that. Fun to think about, though...

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Plan A
Record him and call him during the night in order to force him to listen to the recording, repeat this ten times, :smallbiggrin:

Plan B
Encourage him in telecommuting, even if all of you miss him a lot in the office

Plan C
Put him under a glass bell, literally

RandomNPC
2011-01-19, 09:08 PM
So you work in a place with noisy machines. Can't you just turn it on when the noisy people start being noisy? :smallwink:

With everything running and my headset freshly re-adjusted for good use, I can still track the bosses daughter as she walks through the shop while fully focused on my work. Her voice is like an ice pick, and everyones ears like murder victims.

AshDesert
2011-01-19, 10:20 PM
Some people don't try to be loud, they just have a timbre to their voice that carries really well and cuts through the normal chatter in social environments. I know that at the same decibel level (my friends have actually tested it) I can be much more clearly heard through a crowd than most people I know speaking with a normal "inside" voice. People say they always notice my voice when about 30 people are around talking, yet I get no complaints about volume level with like 5.

Nosferocktu
2011-01-20, 09:43 PM
I can attest to having that problem as well. I try to listen as much as possible and when I do talk, I try to keep it short. I have problems projecting.